tuscl

Why so many Budweiser haters on here?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
I don't drink any alcohol anymore but when I did and drank beer it was usually Bud, sometimes a Miller. So many choices nowadays. Budweiser can't be the best selling beer in the USA for no reason.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/foo…

So what is your favorite?

39 comments

• Muddy
    6 years ago
    I do Corona usually. I really like the Budweiser select too. I like light beers overall. Guinness is like a meal, not my thing.
  • Lurker_X
    6 years ago
    Bud is so light and bland that it feels like "near beer" to me. Miller has a strange aftertaste.

Strip clubs in NC are not very inventive when it comes to beer choices. They may have a mass market upscale brew like Sam Adam's or Yuengling.

The irony is that Charlotte has a very active microbrew scene. Maybe some of the very nice clubs (Uptown or Men's Club) perhaps offer more selection than divey MAL branded clubs I visit.
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    Are there so many guys who hate Bud on here? I'd be a little cautious about judging quality based on "best selling in the USA". McDonald's is also the biggest restaurant chain -- that doesn't make it any less unhealthy chemical-laden slop that barely qualifies as food. And Bud, Coors Light, Bud Light, are in many ways the McDonalds (or at least the fast food) of beer.

Anyway! I think the most important thing is you drink what you like and what makes you happy. Bud, Coors Light, etc., are cheap, don't have much taste, are easy to drink, and have alcohol in them; if that's the experience you're looking for, more power to you -- really!

But, many people are looking for a different experience, with higher quality, more-complex (and sometimes much more challenging) flavors. Just a difference in what we're looking for. To make a coffee analogy: coffee's first wave democratized coffee (it was previously a rich person's luxury), with a focus on convenience and price, leading to it's pinnacle: instant coffee like folger's (height of convenience), diner coffee, Dunkin Donuts coffee, etc. With coffee having become ubiquitous, the second wave focused on higher quality taste and coffee as part of a social experience (albeit one scientifically designed), at the expense of a higher price: think Peet's and Starbucks. Coffee's third wave brought the experience to artisan-level quality, introduced responsibility and relationships into the supply chain, the introduction of micro-lots -- all at the expense of a still higher price. My parents are still thrilled with "first wave" coffee; many of my buddies love second-wave; I'm a fancyboy third-waver. Different prices, different experiences. I expect more $ is spent overall on first wave coffee -- it's cheap and affordable and has caffeine.

Ain't nothing wrong with being a beer first-waver, if such a thing applied to beer. I'm not sure I have a fave beer, but perhaps Chimay Grande Reserve is as close to one as I get
  • doctorevil
    6 years ago
    Good question. Budweiser is my favorite beer overall, and I've tried hundreds of different brands all over the world.
  • ime
    6 years ago
    I am a total craft beer and homebrew guy, but at a strip club I will take what I can get. Most places usually have Sam Adams or maybe Sierra Nevada, but I would take a Bud over a bud lite or Coors light any time. I will never drink Miller Lite I hate that beer, I will drink a Miller High Life before a Miller Lite.
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    I drink Bud. Younger people think it's swill. They like the microbrewery beers, which taste funny to me.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    I like Corona, but I’ll drink a Bud occasionally idCorona isn’t available.
  • sinclair
    6 years ago
    Budweiser is my go to beer. You could probably pick up on that by reading my reviews. Miller and Coors use corn syrup. If I wanted to drink corn syrup, I'd just order a Dr. Pepper.

Craft beer = Crap Beer
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    Because it's like water.
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    -->"Because it's like water."

I think the old joke, "Q: Why is American beer like making love in a canoe? A: Because it's fucking close to water" was definitely true 30 years ago when all we had was Bud, Coors, etc.
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    If I am going to drink beer, it's gonna be a Bud Light. But I don't drink that much beer.
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    I drink bud lite when it's only $3 a bottle and Miller lite is $5 a bottle up to a point. The first 2 or 3 bottles are like drinking water. I like the taste of Miller lite better. At $7 a bottle, my record number of drinks so far is 3 bottles. Typically only 2 bottles of beer which is like drinking bottled water. Men's club in Charlotte changed their prices slightly. Still expensive.
  • datinman
    6 years ago
    I like very hoppy beers. I am not a big fan of lagers in general and prefer ales. BTW there is no corn syrup in any of the mentioned beers. You need sugars for fermentation. It doesn't make any difference whether the sugar comes from corn or rice. That would be like saying "I won't drink bourbon because it has corn sugar."
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    In the olden days, beer was pretty nasty. Then, Pilsner beer was invented in Plzen Bohemia. It was clear, crisp, and clean. A big hit. That’s where Budweiser beer has its roots.

Now, the pendulum has swung to favor more flavorful beers.
  • ime
    6 years ago
    Budvar(or Czechvar if you see it over here) > Budweiser
  • mark94
    6 years ago
    I prefer Pilsner Urquell ( I toured the plant a few years ago ).
  • crazyjoe
    6 years ago
    A good Milk Stoudt
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Most of the traditional American beers are brewed to appeal to the masses and at a cheaper cost. They have a much blander taste so they appeal to people who want alcohol but haven't acquired the taste to really like the flavor of beer.
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    Ya, listening to people argue about Bud vs Miller vs Coors to me is like arguing about which brand of white rice tastes best :)
  • jestrite50
    6 years ago
    When I drink beer its Miller Lite, when I do drinks its rum and coke or jack and coke. Used to do Manhattan Straight Up. Now I do mainly bottled water. I have a job that if I get a DUI I'm immediately fired so dont normally drink anymore.
  • georgebailey
    6 years ago
    Craft beer people dislike the budwieser parent company, and products, for a very good reason. They strangle competition and steal shelf and cooler space. Miller's owner plays fair, and a lot of pubs will stock highlife to make a statement. Notice I said highlife, not Miller lite.
  • whodey
    6 years ago
    I just hate beer in general. Give me a nice bourbon or tequila instead.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Budweiser is huge on advertising and probably a big reason why it's "popular"
  • crazyjoe
    6 years ago
    Budweiser tasted like water. Drink a real beer,it will put hair on your chest
  • Musterd21
    6 years ago
    I don’t like beer!
  • Subraman
    6 years ago
    ^^^ you better edit that to include "no homo", because not liking beer is very suspicious
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    LOL
  • nicespice
    6 years ago
    I guess my taste in food/drinks is (at best) adventurous and (at worst) pretentious. Anytime I have a beer, it’s usually something like vanilla porter, a grapefruit cider, or other “different” flavors infused with it. Even better, if a bar/restaurant has a “flight” option for a variety of flavors, I like to go for that.

I think Heineken is my favorite mainstream brand.

When I hear Budweiser, I think of a frat party on a budget.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    When I was in collefe Michelob was the classy beer, Bud was respected.

Most parties had Busch, Black Label, Pabst, Piels, and other similar crap beers.
  • captanmellow
    6 years ago
    I am a craft beer person. If a club does not have some craft offering I will get a Heniken. If they don't have that, it's Miller time! They use rice in Budweiser products and for whatever reason it gives me an instant headache.
  • 79terrier
    6 years ago
    Bud started using rice 20+ years ago, and it gave it a different aftertaste. I haven't liked it since.
  • JamesSD
    6 years ago
    It smells awful and has a nasty aftertaste. Coors Light is my cheap beer of choice but 805 is my current fave along with porters.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    I’m not a beer drinker but when I’m in Tijuana and somebody buys me a beer... if Indio brand is available...that’s my choice.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    (of course i’ll drink most anything that somebody buys for me.)
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    Bud's commercials in 2016 sounded progressive. Not allowed in my home.
  • Nidan111
    6 years ago
    My two favorite beers are TANK 7 and MILWAUKEES BEST.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    In my 'hood we drink Old 8-Ball and Colt 45.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ But that's when we are just rappin' on the stoop, not in the club. There it's Hennessey, straight up
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ No love for Old English Malt Liquor ;)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion