tuscl

Foxy Lady, RI, Closed for Good

Call.Me.Ishmael
Rhode Island
From the Providence Journal newspaper:
====

Foxy Lady closed by licensing board

PROVIDENCE -- The Providence Board of Licenses voted Wednesday to permanently revoke licenses for the Foxy Lady strip club, closing the legendary gentleman’s club for good.

The club can appeal the decision, which led to audible gasps and protests from Foxy Lady supporters who crowded the fifth-floor room where the board met.

The Foxy Lady, on Chalkstone Avenue, had been ordered temporarily closed since shortly after the arrests of three employees on misdemeanor prostitution charges on Dec. 11. That gave the board a chance to consider city officials’ recommendation that it close. On Wednesday, they acted, shuttering the strip club in part because it hadn’t come to the table for a plan to fix its problems.

The decision was three votes to one.

City and police officials said the management was well aware of what was happening at the strip club, which has been in business for nearly four decades, with one major calling it a “prostitution parlor.” A lawyer and a manager for the Foxy Lady denied they had anything to do with prostitution and asked for the club to be reopened.

20 comments

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    While they could win on appeal, I'm not going to hold my breath.

I suspect that this is also be meant to send a message to other Providence clubs.

It's going to be a cold winter, I think ...
  • Muddy
    6 years ago
    Everywhere else it seems like things are starting to free up, become more liberal in the true sense of the word. But not the sex industry. That shit is going the other way. Not good. This is going everywhere if nobody steps and has the balls to speak out against it.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    Here's the problem. Almost anyone who stands up for adult industry rights gets automatically labeled as a pervert and/or societal outcast.

Most people don't want to be perceived that way (even if it's true...). And many can't afford to be perceived that way. You will never see a broad public protest of a strip club closure.

It's the low-hanging fruit of local politics.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    "City and police officials said the management was well aware of what was happening at the strip club, which has been in business for nearly four decades, with one major calling it a “prostitution parlor.” "

Dancing in front of someone naked for money is now considered prostitution?

WTF!!!
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    It's a sign of the times - the ultra-liberal state of colleges these days view males with any sexual desire as a threat to be dealt with and view women as victims of these male desires, and also view women that choose sex-work as victims that require intervention to save them from themselves.

And then there is the issue of $$$ and gentrification where SCs are seen as obstacles to big-business/developers.
  • jsully63
    6 years ago
    @flagooner the Foxy was a well known extras club and the police ran a sting. Got offered FS for $300 by a few dancers
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    At times I wonder if SCs were relegated to just out-of-the-way/view industrial-areas, if they would be left more alone?

If not, then unless there is a successful movement to legalize prostitution one can assume things will only get worse
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    Flagooner... There was a weeks long investigation after a dancer reported that she was sexually assaulted in the VIP. Last week they arrested three dancers for soliciting undercover cops.

This is a result of those arrests and the investigation.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    Actually, Foxy wasn't regarded as the most extra friendly club in the area.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Many cities actually have old longstanding strip clubs rules that are only enforced when they wanna go after a particular club - in some areas the dancer showing a nipple is lewd conduct for which she and the club can be charged
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    They were soliciting to have sex in the club? Oh, my!
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    I think Cocoa Beach may be one of those areas where dancers are always topless but "technically" not supposed to be "according to the letter of the law", and LE will at times go after a club for having topless dancers where 99% of the time they don't enforce it
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    In Providence, LE seems content to sit on the sidelines until a club really fucks up. I believe that this is less about extras and more about the alleged rape. Not a lot of details are public about that case.
  • loper
    6 years ago
    Hard to believe the city would shut down a major source of revenue. Are they going to make that up somewhere else? In my experience with city politics, money always wins.
  • loper
    6 years ago
    Ishmael, if they wanted to close it because of the alleged rape, why did they go undercover to get extras? It's confusing two issues. In one fell swoop Providence put 100s of people out of work at Christmas time. Nice job.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    Loper said "Hard to believe the city would shut down a major source of revenue."

Foxy isn't a major source of tax revenue, especially since so much of the money that changes hands there is cash. Also, even if all the taxable income was reported, it's still peanuts as compared to Textron, Fleet Bank, and many other Providence businesses.

If you're referring to kickbacks to politicians and city workers, though, you might have a valid point.

"if they wanted to close it because of the alleged rape, why did they go undercover to get extras?"

This is how the city goes after strip clubs that don't keep their house in order. They don't care that it's (arguably) different issues.

"In one fell swoop Providence put 100s of people out of work at Christmas time. Nice job."

See my post above about perverts and societal outcasts. The same applies to anyone who works at a strip club. There is no public sympathy for strip clubs, the people who work there, or the people who go there.

Most of the public is probably annoyed that it didn't happen sooner.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    Most of the workers affected are independent contractors. Can't the other clubs absorb them?
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    I imagine that many of the Foxy dancers will land at Desires, Cadillac Lounge, or Wonderland. Maybe RI Dolls. Ditto for the hotter bartenders and waitresses. No idea how fully staffed those clubs are, though. Some may need to downgrade to lesser places like Club Fantasies or Wild Zebra.

But everyone is going to be walking (dancing...) on eggshells for a good long while I predict. It's obvious that the city has its eye on the Providence club scene and isn't feeling forgiving.
  • loper
    6 years ago
    Most of the comments in the Boston Globe have been anti-LE and anti-Providence. Doesn't seem that the general public is so against strip clubs. Perhaps people who show up at municipal meetings tend to be against them.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    How many of those comments show the person's real name and face?

I mean, I want to believe that you're right. But people privately being okay with strip clubs and people publicly supporting strip clubs are two different thing, really.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion