tuscl

OT: Airline Settlement

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Received the following email today - has anyone received this?

"... Dear Class Member:

Our records show you may have purchased a domestic airline ticket from American, Delta, Southwest, United, Continental Airlines, or US Airways between July 1, 2011 and June 14, 2018. Southwest and American Airlines (the “Settling Defendants”) have agreed to settle nationwide litigation by passengers who claim the four largest U.S. carriers along with Continental Airlines and US Airways conspired to increase fares on domestic flights. The Settling Defendants deny that they did anything wrong, have asserted defenses to the claims, and have settled to avoid the burden and expense of litigation.

Are you included?
The Settlement Classes include persons and entities who purchased air passenger transportation services for flights within the United States and its territories and the District of Columbia from American, Delta, Southwest, United, Continental, or US Airways at any time between July 1, 2011 and December 20, 2017 for the Southwest settlement and between July 1, 2011 and June 14, 2018 for the American settlement.

What do the Settlements provide?
Southwest has agreed to pay $15 million and American has agreed to pay $45 million. The Settling Defendants have agreed to provide certain cooperation in the ongoing litigation against the Non-Settling Defendants.

How can I get a payment?
At this time, it is unknown how much you may receive. A distribution plan will be prepared later or at the conclusion of the litigation. Given the number of Settlement Class Members, it may not be economically practical to distribute money until additional settlements or judgments are achieved. If you want to receive a notice about the claims process or future settlements, you should register at the website below. Class Counsel will pursue the lawsuit against the Non-Settling Defendants, and these Settlements may help pay expenses for Class Counsel to do so. If no additional settlements or judgments are achieved, money may be distributed to a charitable, government, or non-profit organization(s) as ordered by the Court.

What are my rights?
Even if you do nothing you can participate in the Settlements and will also be bound by their terms. If you want to keep your right to sue Southwest and/or American yourself, you must exclude yourself from the Settlements by January 4, 2019. If you stay in the Settlements, you may object to them but only if you do so before January 4, 2019.

The Court will hold a hearing on March 22, 2019 to consider whether to approve the Settlements and a request for attorneys’ fees up to 30% of the Settlement Funds, plus reimbursement of costs and expenses incurred as Class Counsel pursues claims against the other Defendants. You or your own lawyer may appear and speak at the hearing at your own expense.

For more information, visit www.DomesticAirClass.com or call 1-866-459-3634 ..."

10 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Has anyone ever taken part in one of these class-action settlements and received anything substantial?
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    The lawyers are the only ones who get anything substantial.
  • Book Guy
    6 years ago
    Usually you should receive POSTAL mail if you are a potential member of a class. I'm not sure that email constitutes notice (yet) of the proper info. Maybe in your jurisdiction it does? Not sure.
  • WILLYSGOTAWOMAN
    6 years ago
    as an nj lawyer who who negotiates contracts i don't know that much about fl lawsuits against airlines but i feel comfortable saying there's little to no downside to joining a class action lawsuit. lawyers do tend to get the biggest piece of the pie (typically 40% of the overall settlement) but other than filing out the form you likely won't have to do anything so if turns out to just be $100 its still worth your time and every once in a while these things are lucrative when punitive damages are applied. you should probably join
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    I remember reading about a class action suit brought against Volkswagen by people who had been used as slave laborers during the Nazi era. It's been 20 years at least and so I can't recall the exact details. But the survivors received about $2000 each and the 3 attorneys split a $13 million fee. #Whypeoplehatelawyers.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    I have gotten several class action settlements over the years, I look at them like small lotteries, if you file the paperwork they send you you will eventually get a small check, I have received from $8. To a $700. Settlement check over the years, and of course the lawyers get large fees, many of these cases involve large groups of lawyers and many years of litigation. They are very common in the financial sector.
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    I received it a few days ago.

I've been part of a few in the past. Similar to twentyfive typically you will receive a small check.
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    I fill them out if I actually think they've done something wrong, I don't think I've ever gotten more than $100 or so.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    As is all too often the case with these types of class actions, the only ones who walk away with anything to speak of are the lawyers.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ good point
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion