tuscl

OT: Most Reliable Airports in the United States

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Friday, November 16, 2018 1:41 PM
Catching a plane should be easy enough. Get through security, find your way to the gate, climb aboard, and let the pilots do their thing. In reality, though, about 22 percent of flights in 2018 have been held up by delays, cancellations, and diversions, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. And that’s after giving flights wiggle room of 15 minutes before being considered late. You can’t expect the same number of delays from every airport, though. The Wall Street Journal ranked America’s 20 biggest airports to figure out which was most reliable, taking into account percentage of on-time flights, percentage of canceled flights, average delay time, average time taxiing, and how long it takes to get through security. Learn about these 14 secret holiday travel tips airlines don’t want you to know. Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX) soared above the rest with a score of 80.5 out of 100. For reference, the number two airport, Seattle-Tacoma in Washington, had a score of 69. Arizona’s desert climate might help its airport stay reliable. Over the course of a year, a mere 0.36 percent of Phoenix’s flights were delayed because of the weather, compared with the national average of 0.61 percent. Even when PHX’s flights are delayed, the wait time tends to be short, and the time from leaving the gate until takeoff is also on the shorter end, according to WSJ. Check out these 15 most bizarre reasons for flight delays. On the other end of the spectrum, Newark Liberty International in New Jersey was the least reliable major airport, with a harsh 9.5 rating. Only 67 percent of its flights are on time, which doesn’t bode well for passengers. Its two nearby airports, JFK and LaGuardia, rounded out the bottom three, so New Yorkers and local visitors seem to be out of luck finding reliable flights. Don’t miss these other 13 things airlines won’t tell you. Check out the rest of the top ten most reliable airports from the Wall Street Journal: 1. Pheonix (PHX): 80.5 reliability score 2. Seattle-Tacoma (SEA): 69 3. Las Vegas (LAS): 67 4. Denver (DEN): 63.5 5. Dallas–Fort Worth (DFW): 61 6. Los Angeles (LAX): 60 7. Minneapolis–St. Paul (MSP): 59 8. Orlando (MCO): 57 9. Atlanta (ATL): 54.5 10: Detroit (DTW): 53.5 [view link]

22 comments

• flagooner
    6 years ago
    How many get delayed due to Juice fucking up the shitter?
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    How many get delayed by Papi patronizing flagooner;)
  • nicespice
    6 years ago
    I guess it’s only the major airports that were counted? God bless Lubbock, TX. I remember flying from that town once, and going through security five minutes before boarding was supposed to end. It was a breeze to get through and I made my flight without any problems.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Research shows that in Atlanta many of the delays are caused by big-booty ebonies having trouble walking down the isle of the plane
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^ not just in Atlanta;)
  • blahblahblah23
    6 years ago
    lol on the topic of small airports- I've only been through two lol. The one in Kauai is lovely. The one in Valdez is a nightmare though- No radar and town is a bowl within mountains, but airport is like on the side of a mountain (or mountains) don't even remember... They have fog often making them cancel flights b/c w / no radar they have no guarantee you will not crash into the side of some mountain and die LOL
  • blahblahblah23
    6 years ago
    I do agree they are fast to get in and out of :) but reliability... eh?? idk LOL. maybe depends where it is located and geography/weather hahaha
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    LOL @Papi
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    From an air traffic control aspect the NE is absolutely the worst when it comes to delays. Boston, the 3 NY airports, Phily and the 2 DC airports comprise the most heavily traveled air space in the country. There is just not enough room to accommodate all of the flights that the air lines want to operate. Throw in some bad weather like a line of thunderstorms or snow and some thing has got to give. To improve the situation more runways are needed but where to put them. Improvements in the ATC system has helped but not much more can be done. Reducing the number of flights by using larger airplanes would help a lot but the traveling public wants more frequency. Not less. The technology is there to reduce the distance between flights but that would require total automatic flight. Anybody want to get on an air craft without pilots?
  • blahblahblah23
    6 years ago
    I'd hate to be an air traffic controller in the NE lol. Definitely go grey way too young doing that there.
  • TFP
    6 years ago
    ^^^^^fuck no!!!!
  • TFP
    6 years ago
    ^^^^to Shadowcat's question of pilotless flights.
  • blahblahblah23
    6 years ago
    ^agreed. not sure about driverless semis either
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    I used to love flying in and out of FLL
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    ^ thanks for sharing that - my life is complete now
  • Muddy
    6 years ago
    NYC sounds about right. They’ve been redoing Laguardia for the past couple years and it’s been an absolute shit show.
  • Cheo_D
    6 years ago
    LaGuardia has needed a demolition crew for a couple of decades now. JFK is odd because it's really like 6 airports in one, if you're flying out of T5/Jetblue at least the time waiting to get aboard is not that bad. Newark has a bit that's from the 80s and sort of reasonable and a bit that's from the 60s and you can tell; plus the thunderstorm always goes over Newark. Reagan/National is reasonably well kept because so many DC swamp creatures use it, but using it often theaches the newb and remionds the veteran that "on time departure" means when you pull away from the gate, NOT when you roll for takeoff, the time between the one and the other can extend (and God help us if El Queso Grande is airborne around that airspace at the time).
  • NinoBambina
    6 years ago
    I dont care as long as I join the mile high club
  • gawker
    6 years ago
    For 10 years I had regular meetings throughout the Northeast. After flying Boston to LaGuaria and/or Newark, etc. I gave up on many flights and took Amtrak’s Acela. Lots of room, electrical outlets, dining cars, and few if any security concerns. The cost was usually less and the time was frequently about equal.
  • londonguy
    6 years ago
    LAX is one of the worst I have ever been to. Brussels is the worst.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    ^ and they have awful sprouts as well.
  • goldmongerATL
    6 years ago
    I have been to all ten on that list. I have not gotten extras at any of those top ten, so that list is bullshit.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion