tuscl

NYC Zoning Laws shutting down more than half the clubs???

Mtent
Relaxation
It says of the 20 "adult establishments" only 8 would qualify based on new zoning, and I'm shocked at some of the names as they're in places no one would ever call "residential" - anyone know which clubs would survive?

17 comments

• jackslash
    6 years ago
    Manhattan clubs are too restrictive and too expensive. I don't care if they shut down.
  • Mtent
    6 years ago
    But other borough clubs are technically within a block of apartments too
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    Liberal politicians seem to hate strip clubs in my opinion. Of course it could be liberal politicians haven't met a business they don't want to tax or regulate to death.
  • Nixur68
    6 years ago
    You are not pay attention if you think it's the liberals that are shutting down strip clubs. It's kind of both at the moment but remember San Francisco almost legalized prostitution back the early 10s.
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    If liberals were the only politicians who opposed strip clubs, Utah would be a strip club paradise.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Nixun, it's you who isn't paying attention by trotting out one city as an exception and calling it the rule.

VT, the home of Bernie Sanders, has virtually driven out all clubs.

MA hasn't had a new club open in a quarter of a decade.

CT has been a bad place for clubs for a very long time, with State Police more than happy to help with raids.

We see what is happening in NYC and the rest of NY is not that much better for clubs.

DC is one of the shittiest clubbing towns in the country.

Sensing a pattern? Now to be fair, ultra-conservative places can be just as bad, Missouri being a notable example. But ultra liberals hate strip clubs as much as anybody.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    Mtent, to your question, only those few who are experts in NYC's byzantine zoning maps could tell you with any certainty. However, given what I've read about the limited commercial zoning areas that will be left for clubs (C7 and C8), I'm guessing that the numbers are right.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    6 years ago
    Targeting strip clubs is bipartisan. They are easy targets that are unpopular with both liberal and conservative voters.
  • Estafador
    6 years ago
    Probably Larry Flin'ts Hustler's club. not exactly in the heart of the city. NObody hangs out on West/12/11th ave
  • Bbybunny
    6 years ago
    Ricks, the former flashdancers will become Sapphire midtown because the 60th st location is eventually going to close. Private eyes is going to become the new flash and hustler those are the ones I’ve heard for sure are safe. Any clubs that operated under the 60/40 rule basically are in danger.

• Estafador
    6 years ago
    @bbybunny. ANd what exactly is the 60/40 rule. I have never got that deep into strip club politics to understand before.
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    "
    Prior to the 2001 law, the adult entertainment industry had won a court decision creating the so-called 60/40 rule, which permitted adult businesses to remain open as long as no more than 40 percent of their floor space was devoted to adult material (this, by the way, is why so many strip clubs have steakhouses inside)
    "
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    I've heard them refer to the 60/40 zoning rule on stripperweb. That's the only reason I know about it.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    This zoning stuff is no good. Far more harmful to the industry than the state law against prostitution.

SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Much of this zoning stuff comes with the category, "Adult Entertainment". All they are doing is reinstating the same kinds of laws which courts struck down in the 60's and 70's.

SJG
  • jester214
    6 years ago
    Strip clubs are easy targets, what powerful block is going to complain?
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Well, sometimes they have challenged the constitutionality of such laws. This is how Jim and Artie Mitchell did it.

All such freedoms have had to be fought for in court.

https://diva.sfsu.edu/collections/sfbatv…

How about the slate of regulations being considered in Michigan now?

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion