tuscl

Recommended albums/musical groups, past two decades?

Electronman
Too much of a good thing is never enough
Sunday, September 9, 2018 1:48 PM
My play list has lots of classic rock (Beatles, Stones, U2, Springsteen, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Eagles, Talking Heads, Warren Zevon, Dave Matthews), mostly from the era prior to 2000. I'd like to update my collection. What albums (or artists) from the past two decades should I be adding?

24 comments

• SirLapdancealot
    6 years ago
    Phantogram, Warpaint, Queens of the Stone Age, Heather Nova, Florence and the Machine, Tool
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    Death Cab for Cutie, Chevelle, Deftones, Jack White. Between my suggestions and sirdance that should get you started for now.
  • SirLapdancealot
    6 years ago
    If you like jazz, Esperanza Spalding is an awesome new talent. She plays a mean standing bass and has a golden voice. Portland native too.
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    Lady Gaga
  • SirLapdancealot
    6 years ago
    @Electronman sample this: [view link]
  • waynegame
    6 years ago
    For me old school R&B. Mr. Wawback - Mister Wawback
  • Electronman
    6 years ago
    Great suggestions. Thanks. I saw Florence and the Machine in concert, as the opening act for U2. Great music and talent. I'll start working through the other suggestions.. I've also enjoyed a few other contemporary artists, including Lana Del Ray and Kendrick Lamar and Black Eyed Peas.
  • rockie
    6 years ago
    Alabama Shakes, Amy Winehouse, The Black Crowes, Counting Crows, Gnarls Barkley, Jack Johnson, Jewel, John Mayer, Joss Stone, Macy Gray, Norah Jones, Susan Tedeschi. Tedeschi Trucks Band, TLC, Tracy Chapman ...
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    Five Finger Death Punch.
  • SirLapdancealot
    6 years ago
    Rollins Band, Frank Black (Black Francis), Belly
  • SirLapdancealot
    6 years ago
    Tori Amos
  • SirLapdancealot
    6 years ago
    Bjork
  • ime
    6 years ago
    Tim Barry, Cutthroat Shamrock, Real McKenzies, The Business, Cock Sparrer, Rancid, Noi!se, The Templars, Booze and Glory, the Flat Tires, Sturgill Simpson, Shooter Jennings, Run The Jewelz, Vinnie Paz, La Coka Nostra, Slaine
  • ime
    6 years ago
    Clutch, Orange Goblin, Electric Wizard, the Sword, Sleep. These are more stoner rock/metal stuff but still worth a listen.
  • Electronman
    6 years ago
    rockie: I have also "discovered" Alabama Shakes and Susan Tedeschi. Great stuff. My tastes are pretty eclectic-- Arcade Fire, Animal Collective (the Merriwether Post Pavillion album) and Alt-J are all worth a listen. Lots of great suggestions-- I'll do some sampling!
  • theDirkDiggler
    6 years ago
    The last two decades are probably my least favorite in terms of "modern" music. Many of the bigger acts in the 90s and even 80s were still making good music in the 00s and beyond. Let's see: Oasis, Linkin Park, Keane, Cake, The Killers, The Postal Service, MGMT, Evanescence, Bruno Mars, Jason Mraz, John Legend, Foo Fighters are some i haven't see in this discussion.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    i like a lot of the late latina/ latino music. like those desposito muthafuckers and enrique iglacias, pitbull, shakira, nattie natisha, sean paul... and santana. and more.
  • Dominic77
    6 years ago
    Lots of good recommendations already. Black Keys [view link] Kendrick Lamar, needs to be re-mentioned. The guy won a Pulitzer prize for Christ's sake. [view link] If you want something heavier, try Nile (Death Metal) or Opeth (Swedish Death Metal), or Nine Inch Nails (Industrial). The Black Keys might be something closer to what you already listen to, though.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    In terms of albums - there are only a few ones from the past 20 years I listen to in their entirety. Disturbed - The Sickness Audioslave - Audioslave Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory Godsmack - Godsmack Korn - The Untouchables
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    josh groban. enya. manheim steamroller. benoit-freeman. rippingtons.
  • rockstar666
    6 years ago
    Baby Metal.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    trans siberan railroad Christmas album.
  • Longball300
    6 years ago
    Shinedown, Skillet, Halestorm, Pop Evil, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Alter Bridge.
  • magicrat
    6 years ago
    Dave Matthews, Drive By Truckers, Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton, Tyler Childers
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion