tuscl

How to bring money to Tijuana?

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:47 PM
I have never been to Tijuana, but I’ve heard and read horror stories of visitors losing all their hard-earned money because they were searched by corrupt cops or robbed by unscrupulous locals. How would you recommend someone take their money across the border and into Tijuana? I have read reviews here recommending that a visitor should only bring cash in smaller denominations, but that seems like a major hassle to carry all those small bills. If I were to bring 100s or 50s would I be able to exchange them for 20s and Singles at a local store or at the bar or hotel counter at Hong Kong? I have read that the bouncers give you a once-over before you enter the club. Should I be wary of losing money? Also, would it be OK to carry the money in a backpack? I was thinking about purchasing some underwear with discreet pockets where I could stash some of my moneys. Are your belongings searched when crossing the border? Does border patrol routinely frisk you? I want to be honest and upfront, but I also want to keep a low-profile. I would hate to spend the time and money to get to Tijuana, only to lose it all because I did not take the proper precautions. Thank you all for your advices.

30 comments

• Countryman5434
    6 years ago
    I havent been there in 25 years but im going to be going thus summer!i was thinking bout getting a room at honk kong snd pay to use safe carry money clothes in my gymn bag as soon as i cross the border take taxi straight to honk kong that would be my guess!
  • BrotherFogHorn
    6 years ago
    Bring your Bitcoins
  • rh48hr
    6 years ago
    If you are just going to HK you shouldn't have any issues. Cross the border, get a taxi, get out at HK, have fun, get back in a taxi, cross back into the US, write a review for tuscl. Simple.
  • rh48hr
    6 years ago
    All kidding aside, I've never had an issue going to tj to HK or Adalitas. Be smart and you shouldn't have any issues.
  • BrotherFogHorn
    6 years ago
    Release your demons boys. Blast your foghorns with pride
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    i just returned from another three day zona norte visit. maybe i’ve been lucky. allmost four years ago i had my only pick pocket experience and i immediately grabbed her arm and insisted that she hand my folded money back. this happened with an older ‘ walker’ by the corner of the alley and ninos heros. after she handed the money back she had the nerve to ask for a tip! the policea are perhaps the biggest thieves. if you get stopped just hold your money and phone in one hand. more than likely they will leave it alone. i’ve only been frisked once when my buddy got pulled over for speeding and tinted windows. no problem with getting change with a trusted mesero in hong kong. first... take note of his NAME and NUMBER. i order a drink and hand him the ben and usually ask for all ones back. the best meseros bring back a stack of ones rubber banded or paper banded together and either hands me the whole stack from which i pay for the drink or in front of me he takes the appropriate cost of the drink and then i tip $2. $1 for the drink tip and $1 for the stack of ones.
  • Electronman
    6 years ago
    Never had any issues in Hong Kong and the surrounding streets and clubs (Adelitas). Take a cab to and from the border crossing for $5, stick to the tourist areas around Hong Kong, don't get drunk and obnoxious, and you should have smooth sailing. However, on one visit, I decided to walk from Avenue Revolution (a popular touristy retail area) to Hong Kong Club (less than a mile). It was the middle of the afternoon so, no big deal. As I was walking a man started walking along side me and offering to "guide me" on my walk to Hong Kong. I politely said no and ignored him, but he persisted in walking with me. After two blocks of walking, a local police car pulls up and three officers approach me. I ask them what I was doing wrong and they told me that I was hanging out with a "known drug dealer." They had me place my hands on the police cruiser and searched my pockets and my wallet. The cop checked the cash in my wallet (about $400 for this particular trip) and I was fully expecting the cop to plant some drugs on me and arrest me. Fortunately, their supervisor (who spoke some English) pulled up and sent the cops on their way and sent me back to Avenue Revolution, where I found a cab for the trip to Hong Kong. Since that visit, I take a cab and make sure to carry some cash in a location other than my wallet, sometimes a shoe or a travel belt, just to be safe.
  • Pizza (hiatus)
    6 years ago
    Thank you everyone for the responses so far. I read that Hong King runs out of $20.00 bills sometimes. Would it be advisable to bring $100.00 or $50.00 bills and break them into $10.00 & $1.00 bills? @BrotherFogHorn One of the local clubs in my area installed a Bitcoin ATM. Never seen a single soul use it.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    i use all normal usa bills. bens on down. however i’ve NEVER seen a $2 bill yet in mexico. i’ll bet that they might consider a $2 as fake money. and fifties i use up fairly quick to get assorted smaller bills. it is just easier for the girls to understand the value.
  • Pizza (hiatus)
    6 years ago
    Whoops. Nevermind, I got a couple of responses while writing the comment above. Thanks everyone for your help. I know most of the dancers don’t speak English, but are there a decent number of waiters and staff members at Hong Kong and Hotel Cascadas that speak English? @justme62 I’ll be sure to take stock of the name and number of any mesero who helps me. @Electronman Scary experience. Glad you didn’t end up in a TJ prison cell.
  • bang69
    6 years ago
    I have had no trouble going to Tijuana. Just bring enough for a cab to and from the border, drinks, and dances, and a room. Don't get stupid and get in trouble. Also have a little emergency money stashed in a shoe.
    6 years ago
    One other thing that hasn’t been mentioned. Don’t dress over the top, don’t flash a big wad of cash, don’t get wasted drunk. Try to fit in as best a gringo can. You will not really need that much cash but if I need change I have always walked up to the bar at HK and asked myself, but I don’t like to interact with the sometimes annoying waiters. You can use cards for a hotel or decent restaurant, although I never have, and there are ATM’s everywhere. I’ve been a dozen times or more, walked all over downtown as well as to/from both border crossings daytime. Just be smart and stay alert and blend in.
    6 years ago
    One final thing, leave your “I love Trump” shirt and hat at home. They hate that shit.
  • galiziabob.sabbatical
    6 years ago
    I have never had a problem. I carry cash on me in 3 places. The main amount in my backpack, in the water bladder area. No one ever checks that, not even the US border agents when I am coming back across. It's like an invisible pocket. I carry some ones in my pocket and some ones and 20s in my wallet. I always have $5 bill as well in my pocket for the taxi ride. I don't even ask price at all, I just get in like a boss, like I know what I am doing. I say Hong Kong and I go. I give $5 and get out. The friskers at the door don't bother you at all. They want the money to stay at HK and they want there job. The one time I brought a Benjamin I couldn't break it for $20s because they were all out. Then your stuck paying a girl $100 I stead of $80, which sucks unless you want to tip her. I bring $400 Everytime I go. $55 to $75 for the room, $30 deposit for the mini fridge. 2 to 3 girls upstairs, $60 to $80 each. The rest is for extras, drinks, tipping etc. I bring about $30 in ones for tipping per day. But that's me. I like to finger the stage girls, grab ass and boobs, and partake in the dildo show to my heart's delight. Just keep your head down, don't act like a newbie who doesn't know anything. If you act like you know what's going on they will leave you alone. Go straight to HK, straight back to the border.
  • Vids
    6 years ago
    Almost all the waiters speak English. Tip them 5 or 10 bucks from time to time and they will be your best friend. Don't let them bring girls to you as they usually bring girls that need help making money. Instead, if you're interested in a girl, just point and they will hustle them right over. It's kinda sweet. I've been going the past 6 or 7 years. Stick to cabs to and and from the border and you should be fine. Remember, you're not the only gringo down there and they want your business. As mentioned, don't draw attention to yourself and you'll be fine. And treat yourself to some street tacos. Usually the second best part of the trip. As for cash, couple C-notes and a pile of 20's. Have fun.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Thanks to all for sharing their earned experience with TJ. Justme62, 3 days, I guess with 2 nights. Do you do TLN's with the girls? What time is best for trying to set this up, hooking up with the girl? Ever try to get your girl(s) in the VIP Room? Any advantages? SJG
  • mikepure11
    6 years ago
    Cargo shorts with 4 pockets. 20s in one, 10s in one, 5s in the other, 1s in the last. Bring as much as you think you will need plus stash another $40.00 in your sock/shoe (just in case). Used to go down there once a week when I lived in San Diego and never had any problems.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Some guys on TJA have moved to Tijuana. Some have even purchased homes. Some engage much with civvies too. SJG
  • madmoneyg
    6 years ago
    I bring about $240 because I come to hk with a game plan and the type of girls I’m looking for. $14 for the taxi ride to and from tj. $5 entrance. $80 for the girls and the rest are ones for either a drink for the ladies and touching. If I have extra then it’s a late night fast food run in San Diego.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    I probably average going to tj every two weeks and staying two nites. TDN is kinda rare for me. i must have real chemistry with a girl to do that. time to set up is either in club or when you finish Arriba with her. doing vip for a half hour is more expensive than going up arriba. done it twice. there's constant change of the prettiest girls. they get a novio quickly or a sugar daddy. before you get in a cab say $5 hong kong. that includes a tip. I haven't been in a cab in over a year. personally i take a 10 peso ruta bus. and then walk less than three blocks to zona norte. then hk vip car back to the border. tip $1. that is my normal tip to anyone i tip. I might tip $2 if I feel generous.
    6 years ago
    Only if it is over $10,000 usd
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Justme, 1/2 hour VIP costs more than arriba? WHat do you mean, sitting with the girl in the VIP Room, or the 1st floor dance booths, or the US Clubs and VIP Rooms? IF you are checked into a room, then you just take her to your room. How much time and how much money will vary. I would say that the more front room time and generosity, and the more makeout session, then the more chemistry for the arriba, and the easier to set up a future meetings for TLN. Yes, this all costs money. None of it is cheap. But I would say that the faster you can escalate with a girl, the easier. Front room premiminaries and makeout session. Long session, TLN, then a second outside meeting outside the zona. And daily electronic contact set up ASAP. In my view, the HK bar girls would be the most difficult. But the lesser clubs like Playboy bar should go easier, then the street girls even more. More likely to live locally, set their own hours, their own bosses. But yes, I do know that this is always going to be expensive. But first thing to do is pick your girl and start getting under her skin and getting her off script. SJG By the time we need this lifeboat, this post will be gone. So join now. At a minimum, save the info some place safe, like in emails to yourself, and on paper. Thanks to those who continue to join. You should be able to try out posting right now. [view link] [view link] Jeff Beck and Rosie Oddie [view link]
  • Redbaron12
    2 years ago
    Man we hear all the bad stories so everyone thinks they’re getting robbed. Take whatever cash you want to take. Put it in a backpack. Take a taxi to HK. You’re totally safe.
  • booji boy
    2 years ago
    I've never been molested by the cops or the robbers down there in ten years of making regular trips. All you need to have a great time down there is basic street smarts, just like you would in any other unfamiliar city. I also take mostly 50s and 100s... I've never had an issue getting change. Best bet for that is to go to the back bar on the ground floor of HK because it does a lot of cash business once the shaving cream shows start.
  • Warrior15
    2 years ago
    I think the key is don't look like you are carrying a lot of money. When I cross the border, I'm wearing old jeans, a worn out hoodie, old shoes and not wearing any jewelry or even a watch. My luggage is an old worn out duffle bag. If you are flashing a Rolex or showing your cash around , then you become a target.
  • besmitty
    2 years ago
    @Redbaron -- I will be looking for your backpack in a couple days ;-) To everyone else : As far as the 8-10x I've gone in the last year and half, I've had no issues as far as carrying or bringing money. To put you at ease a little bit, here is a story (which I've told in an article I wrote a year ago). I checked out of my hotel and checked my (2) bags at HK. I did this b/c my flight was that evening and checkout was at 11am or w/e. Tipped the guy $2 and he checked my bag and gave me my slip to retrieve bags later. I ended up finding out I mixed up the departure time and arrival time. I thought I had more time when I didnt so I became in a rush. Long story short is I ended up with my bag and someone elses bag without me realizing it (plain black backpack). Got to my airline gate when I realized it. I had $1200 cash in my bag sitting at HK still. Missed my flight and went back. Backpack was there and not a thing missing. They apologized and paid for my food, taxi, drinks, and hotel for the night. All was fine in the end. 2 things come from this story - your bag is safe if you check it, and always make sure you have the right bag lol. Also a tip : If you are leaving HK through the alley, and you go to the right until you have to go left or right, and take a left. 3 blocks down (you'll see about a block down is where the police are, just go past the police stand) is a bank on the right. i think it's banknorte but not 100%. one of the ATMs (far left or far right machine) has english and you can receive money in US Currency for a fee. I used Bank of America card and for $300, total fee was under $4.00 (ended up like 303.65 or something like that) if you get in pesos, i think it's only like $2 charge. It's a good back up if you run out of money, but also if you don't like carrying much on you/at hotel, even a couple trips to the bank will be $10 total in fees and maybe put your mindset at ease.
  • JAprufrock
    2 years ago
    My trips are 3 or 4 nights, so rather than have all the money I'm going to need, I always start with around $500, of which about $200 goes toward the VIP card and room at Cascadas upon check-in. Then I withdraw about $300 from an ATM each subsequent day. In my case, I use Bank of America at the Outlet Mall since I cross the border each day. But if I were inclined to stay in TJ during the day, I'd just use the ATM that @bsmitty mentioned since it's only a small fee, rather than have a ton of cash in my room (even though I'm sure it's safe there), but certainly would not carry a lot of cash while on the street because, even though it hasn't happened to me, I think it's only a matter of time before the cops harass everyone.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Welcome back Pizza! It has been quite a while. And welcome back JAprufrock! OH, now I understand, this is an old thread and Redbaron12 bumped it. SJG Chaka Khan - Melody Still Lingers On (Live, 1981) [view link]
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    ^ they are back, now if just you’d leave
  • JAprufrock
    2 years ago
    Thanks, @san_jose-guy I've been busy vetting ladies for the organization I am building. You'd be surprised to learn how many have failed the required recto-vaginal exam.
Login or Join to leave a comment.
Start a Discussion