tuscl

Iconic cars that impressed the ladies (so we thought)

Huntsman
Gynecology student
Tuesday, April 24, 2018 11:10 AM
In a recent discussion Orionsmith asked about the highest offers turned down by the ladies for sex. Nina turned down a Camaro. Cashman had a late 70s/early 80s flashback and so did I but I thought it better to start a new thread rather than derail a good one. Back in my day, the Camaro IROC was the ultimate leg spreader. Every guy installed an 8 track and blared Springsteen, Foreigner and Boston through the speakers. Chicks seemed to go for the IROCs and they were reasonably affordable for a lot of guys. That got me wondering what other iconic cars did we think impressed the ladies through the years? Is there even an equivalent car today with the same perceived chick magnet appeal? I’m talking about the cars the average working guy might have been able to afford.

59 comments

• Warrior15
    6 years ago
    Pontiac Trans Am - Like Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit.
  • Huntsman
    6 years ago
    Yeah, the Trans Am was a cool car too. I should also correct myself in that I believe the Camaro IROC, specifically, was introduced in the 1980s so the 8 track and the music would’ve been more a thing for the earlier generations of the Camaro. I believe the Camaro was originally introduced in the 1960s to compete with the Ford Mustang, another iconic cool car.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    The Corvette IMO has always been seen as a sexy car
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    The is probably no end to the number of answers what you could get. Every one has different tastes. A couple of weeks ago a Follies dancer told me that she wanted a Hellcat. So I gave her this link. [view link]
  • impala
    6 years ago
    Buddy of mine use to drive an old hearse, all sorts of room. And the real freeky chicks loved it
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    sc, As a former drag racer and at one time Florida State Champion, driving is most critical. In my time, I beat many a car while running a bit higher ET and a bit slower speed. Equal drivers, the Hellcat wins!
  • NinaBambina
    6 years ago
    I was gonna mention a Trans Am - they seem pretty popular on That 70s Show.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    I find that most woman get wet when I pick them up on my big ass Harley.
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    SJG does OK with his Huffy bike. ( Sorry, that was too easy. )
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^^^His Huffy has baseball cards attached with clothespins to the spokes so he can get that two cycle engine sound.
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    This is what I drove before I bought my new BMW. The Z4 impressed strippers, but it would be physically impossible to have sex in the car. [view link]
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    I had a 78 White Camaro with cloth powder blue seats. It wasn’t an IROC - or Z28. But it was a very cool first car. I lived in a predominantly Italian NJ town - and all the girls loved camaros. Some folks used to joke - that they invented the t-tops so guys could fit their girl’s hair in the car... Also, back then you could afford a reasonably cool car without spending a boatload of cash. That 8-track player must have played Darkness on the Edge of Town close to 100,000 times! It was NJ in the 80’s - and Bruce was the man.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    How about a 1979 Buick LeSabre? That was my first car. Plenty of room in the back seat.
  • Digitech
    6 years ago
    I bought a Corvette last year. I like it. To me it's beautiful car and fun to drive. I'm unsure of its status as a girl better though. When I was researching I was surprised to read a lot of negative sentiment toward the Corvette. A lot of people saying it is the ultimate old man car, mid life crisis car, etc. A lot of people even characterize it as a car lame dudes buy to impress girls (and fail at it). I don't really care because I like it. I actually bought it because I wanted a fun car to drive around in with my stripper girlfriend. So I haven't been out with it trying to pick girls up. Can't comment on how well that works.
  • Eve
    6 years ago
    My 'dream car' might be a bit strange considering there are other better and nicer looking luxury cars of all types and ages, but I am actually a sucker for the new Cheverolet Tahoe models (2016 at the earliest). Every time I see one, I stare. I'm definitely more of an SUV lover than a sports or muscle car lover.
  • Warrenboy75
    6 years ago
    I drive an SUV.........not that strange. I went through my motor stage years ago
  • stripfighter
    6 years ago
    Gotta factor in the your age to car ratio. As a teen, it was Mustangs and Camaroes. 20s roadsters such as Z4/SLKs and SUVs such as Tahoes/Escalades. 30s corvettes and M3s. 40s and above you get to the 90k and above range. Makes me think, should I be spending what I do at the SC or for the Pussy Magnet. 10/10 I go for the SC.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    i can't keep the ckicas away from me and i drive a bad ass prius!
  • Dblednmike
    6 years ago
    Depends on the chicks... Hippy, environmentalists dig the Prius. Your typical hood rat is going love Papi in classic Nova or a really clean Regal. Your outdoors enthusiast is going love a Jeep, with the top down of course. Every cowgirl wants a cowboy with a nice Pick-Up. Little techno chicks like the tricked out imports. Unfortunately, none of these include my beloved Corvette.
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    I had a new style transam that everyone talked about if they knew I had it. One dancer that hitched a ride with me was surprised when she saw the car I was driving. She smiled and said she wanted to rub her butt on the front. Lots of people asked if they could drive it. A few people on the road wanted to race. I didn't want any more trouble with the police because my brother was already getting too much attention. It was fun to drive, Maintenance was a bitch though. Only worse car for reliability was the corvette according to a consumer reports review of used cars at the time. I allowed at least 3 or 4 dancers drive my car and had more than that ride in it. That was without me ever telling anyone what car I drove.
  • shailynn
    6 years ago
    totally depends on the chick. Now, the OP mentioned something the average guy can afford. I would first off say a new Mustang, figure a new Vette would be out of range for an average guy, but a used older model can be bought quite reasonable. I would go with Jeep Wrangler or Pick Up Truck to get panties wet. Many girls love a guy that drives one of those, as it makes them appear more "rugged." My everyday car is a SUV that looks like a soccermom would drive, but it have over 500HP
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    My brothers old style mustang got a lot of attention as well but I don't think he really got into strip clubs. He thought it was all a tease and lost interest. I enjoy the look of the Mustangs both old and new. The new style ones weren't available or as popular back then. One of my friends said my transam had more power than his mustang so he had a new one. I accidentally threw his head against the neck rest when I accelerated real fast. Fortunately I had the head rest popped up. Don't want to give your friends whiplash doing zero to 60 withiout telling them first. I don't drive like that anymore. Tires wore out in inky a year or two. Brakes lasted only a year or so. Original tires were rated for 140 sustained.
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    One of my old high school friends ended up becoming a nascar race car driver and teacher. That would have been fun to try out. I'm not sure what car he drove.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Corvette Discussion: Friend has got one, trying to learn how to take care of it, and learn how it works: 200k miles, but it still runs great and works great. 2x Oxygen Sensors, Synthetic Oil only so it has no oil cooler. Computerized ignition and fuel injection timing, 1 coil and full high tension part of distributor. Cast iron engine block and aluminum heads. Has fill take for radiator 'cause hood is so low. Air filter in air box in front of radiator. About 300hp from 5.7L (350 cid). Throttle body in front of engine on intake manifold. Some kind of special head design which among other things helps it really make that 4 way crank V8 sound. 1995 Corvette Specs [view link] Corvette LT1 Engine [view link] The LT1 Engine was used in Corvettes from 1992 to 1996. With a rated output of 300 HP and 300 ft./lbs of torque, the LT1 proved to be a potent powerplant for the C4 Corvette. The LT1 also proved to be revolutionary in more ways than one. The engine featured computer-controlled ignition timing, a redesigned camshaft profile, upgraded multi-port fuel injection, and free-flow cylinder heads. The LT1 also incorporated a higher compression ratio, 10.5:1, than its predecessor. Other improvements to the newly designed LT1, over previous small-block engines in Chevrolet’s 350 cubic-inch platform, were made in regards to the unit’s exhaust system. A new low-restriction exhaust system was mated to the LT1 that featured dual catalytic converters and two bank-specific oxygen sensors. The stainless steel exhaust manifolds of the past were also traded off in favor of revised cast iron assemblies. The LT1 also came off the assembly line lubed with synthetic oil. The advent of synthetic oil use allowed GM to navigate away from the use of a standard oil cooler, as the use of such oil assisted in reducing friction and minimizing heat. GM’s new small-block also utilized reverse flow cooling. Through this process, the engine coolant was delivered to the cylinder heads before reaching the block. This worked to effectively reduce cylinder temperatures and encourage more efficient combustion. [view link] PCV valve [view link] EGR valve [view link] SJG Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do (Live in Detroit) w/ Bob Mayo [view link]
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Thots are really impressed by rented lambos or rolls royces g wagons
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    My car has 108,000 miles on it and except for me, impresses no one.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    The car doesn't make the man. Girls aren't going to throw themselves at the biggest moron in school just because he has a cool car. If word gets around that you've got a huge fucking cock, now that's a different story, and a nice car certainly wouldn't hurt your prospects.
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    There is certainly some cachet to the Corvette marque, but I kind of doubt 1995 with 200 K miles is going to be of much of a chick magnet. Especially if the car is nearly as old as the dancer.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    Fast & Furious were pretty good for bringing some hot, hip, young women into the car scene for a few years. I don't know if that just ran its course, or if the F&F series turn to comic book shlock just ended that trend. For a few years, though, car shows were a good place to meet lots of women. I don't mean the big, national shows, I mean small, local stuff and street level shows.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    I keep forgetting but back in the day, when all my buds were buying expensive foreign cars, I bought a teal colored 1995 Ford Probe. I got called all the good fag, fairy, pussy names because I owned a "girl's car". Girls loved it; it was so cute. When I asked about my buddies' corvette, one girl said: "guys buy Guido cars for each other, just like women dress up for each other" lol.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Ford Probe was an interesting car. From German Ford was it? Looked like it might have been made in collaboration with Mazda and be similar to their 626? There was also Mercury Merkur. There are ZERO FWD COMBUSTION PASSENGER CARS MADE IN NORTH AMERICA RIGHT NOW! Chrysler dropping Dart / 200. Ford dropping Fiesta, Focus, Old Small Tarus, New Big Tarus/ Lincoln Versions 4dr Jaguar looks like it is made by Volvo. Ford no longer offers Fusion (Volvo) General Motors coped out a long while back, having all FWD models made in China. I am not against Chinese made cars, but they need to do it the way the Japanese and Koreans do, in their own name, so that it is their reputation which is on the line. I discount SUV's, Crossovers, and Vans because they are heavier and have higher roof lines. They use more fuel, and mostly they are just a return of the old idea that bigger is better. Why FWD? SJG Thin Lizzy - Whiskey In The Jar 1973 [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Why FWD? Well if the engine is in the front, FWD makes it lighter and more fuel efficient. Once the design challenges are met, it is lower cost to produce. Mini-Cooper (classic), 128 Fiat, and VW / Audi solved all the problems. Then Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda followed suit. And Subaru always had their own way. And then there was Citroen going back to the 1930's, and the American Cord. The Chrysler Cab Forward / LH I consider to have been the most advanced cars ever made in the United States. My own real interest is in practical cars. And Ford Probe was a good example. I only posted on this thread because I had been looking up info on a Corvette. No, I am not impressed by that iconic V8 scavenging sound because it has a 4 way crank and so it cannot fire alternating bank. I am not interested in burning up gasoline just to impress people. If you can get the chance, do what I did at a Ford dealership. Sit in the driver's seat and the back seat of a Ford Mustang, and then look in the trunk. Then do the same with a Focus. There is not that much exterior size difference. But the Focus is vastly roomier in the cabin and in the trunk. It is that the Mustang has wide tires and big wheel wheels. And then there is that drive shaft tunnel, and then the transmission bulge which leaves very little front foot space. And then with the driveshaft the gas tank has to be under the trunk instead of midships. The only passenger cars made in the North America now are silly cars, cartoon cars. SJG "Crossroads" - Eric Clapton, Sheryl Crow, John Mayer, Doyle Bramhall II, Robert Rundolph (Live 2008) [view link]
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    The Probe was a Mazda 626. When I needed to replace the oxygen sensors they popped up on the computer as Mazda 626 parts.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    That was the way the cars had always looked to me. Early Mazda 626 was RWD, something to go after BMW buyers. But as the Japanese industry changed, 626 changed. American firms have never caught up. And BMW and Mercedes just sell cars because they are expensive. But this was back when there were 2dr cars. Very few examples of this left. 2x Oxygen sensors? I guess because it was V6 instead of I4? Designing FWD is more complex. Can't over twist the CV joints. Can't ever have it try to extend the drive shafts too far. And then it has to be possible to assemble and disassemble. And it is tight around the front wheels. I think the only one that uses upper and lower control arms is Honda/Acura. Everyone else uses McPherson struts. They are more compact, and space is cramped round the front wheel backsides. SJG GEORGE FEST - Norah Jones - SOMETHING @ Fonda 09-28-14 [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Corvette C4, early to mid 90's, LT1 engine LT1 heads. Free flowing? Don't really know what that means, how they are different from other heads. Looking at the car I was taken with how much lower the spark plug holes are than the exhaust ports. Want more power [view link] CNC ported heads [view link] Summit LT1 heads [view link] LT1 and Chevy Small Block parts on [view link] [view link] Reverse flow cooling LT1 heads??? [view link] The Racers Edge, Trick Flow LT1 heads?? [view link] SJG Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like We Do - Live 2016, w/ Rob Arthur on keyboads [view link] GEORGE FEST - Norah Jones - SOMETHING @ Fonda 09-28-14 [view link]
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    The only other male Probe drivers I know were a closeted homosexual (it was purple and he denied it because it was the early 90s), a 400 lb elementary school social studies teacher, and one mommas boy I worked with. But this mommas boy got a lot of ass because he was so comfortable around women. He was kind of an ass, and had a huge chip on his shoulder, though.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Well it was basically the same as a Mazda 626, and it seemed close to the Mercury Merkur, coming from German Ford. It was in its day a forward looking car. SJG
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    Skibum's right, though. There are amazingly hot GPS babes who will only fuck you if it is on the hood of your Maserati or Ferrari. But, those aren't the ones you keep.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    When I was younger I had a white Camaro with powder blue cloth seats. It was the only sports coupe I’ve ever had. I got more pussy when I sold the Camaro and bought a 4 cylinder VW Jetta. I’ve never had a car that attracted women. Sadly, I’ve driven practical vehicles. I might be one of those guys who spends some money and gets a nice car when I retire. I might buy a nice house in Florida and get a sweet sports car. I don’t expect to need an AWD SUV down in the sunshine state.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    Magnum PI had access to Robin Masters Ferrari back in the original series. Miami Vice had a Ferrari to blend in with the 1980’s scene. Knight Rider had a Trans Am - and so did Smoky and the Bandit. There were fewer high end cars back in the old days, so it was easier to find an iconic ride. Nowadays there are too many expensive cars to choose from.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Do women actually look up to guys who drive show off impractical cars? Or do they like the guy who drives a practical car? SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    V8 Chortling Sound [view link] Firing order for all small-block Chevys is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 On the opti: driver's side, top to bottom, is 5-3-7-1 passenger side, top to bottom, is 4-6-8-2 On the engine: driver side, front to rear, is 1-3-5-7 passenger side, front to rear, is 2-4-6-8. Talking about LT1 Camaro the firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. The Left side of the distrubuter 1-3-5-7 and Right side of the distributer is 2-4-6-8. And they call the distributor the "opti-spark". Like the vast majority of V8's, the Corvette LT1 uses a 4 way crank, and so it cannot fire alternating bank. So unless you have 8 into 1 exhaust and intake the same way, there is scavenging going on. This is what gives V8's their characteristic sound, a screwy sound. And then on this Corvette it is made more extreme by these free flowing heads: [view link] and because it has real dual exhaust. No connection between the two sides, two catalytic converters. SJG Behind That Locked Door (George Harrison) - Emotional Version by Norah Jones Live on Conan [view link] GEORGE FEST - Norah Jones - SOMETHING @ Fonda 09-28-14 [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Current Corvette Offering: This is all mid-engine now too. [view link] $62,195† Starting MSRP The 6.2L LT2 V8 makes this mid-engine masterpiece the most powerful Stingray Sports Car produced, ever. 8-speed dual clutch transmission Double paddle declutch feature allows disengagement of clutch by holding both paddles 6.2L V8 DI engine (DI =? direct high pressure injection? ) 490 or 495 hp 19" front/20" rear 5-open-spoke Bright Silver-painted aluminum wheels, standard Front 19" x 8.5" wheels Rear 20" x 11" wheels Axle Ratio (Manual) 4.9 Dry Weight 3,366 lbs Front Suspension Short/Long Arm Rear Suspension Short/Long Arm Michelin® Pilot® Sport All Season 4 245/35ZR19 front and 305/30ZR20 rear, performance, run-flat tires [view link] I wish they did still make the front engine version. They they could have badged the mid engine version as Buick. SJG Behind That Locked Door (George Harrison) - Emotional Version by Norah Jones Live on Conan [view link] GEORGE FEST - Norah Jones - SOMETHING @ Fonda 09-28-14 [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    They say that this 2022 Corvette has variable valve timing. Interesting considering that it has just one cam shaft. This is the only make which has shown commitment to pushrods. Pushrods will get you a lower hood line, like in a front engine Corvette. But in this mid engine version you don't get that. GM had a nice 4 cam engine in the Cadillac Northstar. They even put it in a Corvette, but the badged it as Cadillac. [view link] Since they have dropped it completely. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Let me look again at the 2022 Mid-Engine Corvette. Given that it uses different size rims front and rear, what do they give you for a spare tire? Where is it stowed and what trunk space do you have. How big is the gas tank, and where is it, in a big console between the seats? [view link] 2.9 SECONDS† Available 0–60 time Fuel Tank Capacity, Approx 18.5 gal 16mpg city, 24mpg highway Electronic Limited-Slip Differential (eLSD) available as is Front Lift w/ memory Michelin® Pilot® Sport 4S 245/35ZR19 front and 305/30ZR20 rear, high performance, run-flat summer-only tires Available Michelin® Pilot® Sport All Season 4 245/35ZR19 front and 305/30ZR20 rear, performance, run-flat tires Not able to find any mention of spare tire. Motortrend Review [view link] Certainly has room for the 18.5 gal gas tank in the center console [view link] The LT2 engine delivers its 495 hp punch with velvety smoothness, and the magnetic ride suspension is worth every penny of the $1,895 it adds to the sticker price. The car feels glued to the road as those shocks work their magnetic magic over bumps and dips. The brakes felt strong and progressive, and the steering was light but highly communicative. There is a lot of tech in the car, and in my experience, so much electronic intervention often dilutes the driving experience, but I didn't get that sense from the C8 at all. (push rod motor doesn't give you any looks or aero dynamic advantage in a mid-engine. It is just that maker's long term commitment.) Back Up Camera! TRUNK: Visibility forward and to the sides is great, but to the rear is vague. The backup camera is essential here, and my test car was also equipped with a rear-facing camera display on the rear-view mirror, which was quite helpful. I don't own a golf bag, much less a single golf club, so I couldn't verify the unfortunate industry standard test for trunk capacity, but I could fit a week's worth of groceries in the trunk. Being next to engine and above the exhaust, the stuff was a bit toasty by the time I got home, so a word to the wise would be to put the cold stuff in the "frunk", not the trunk, and your milk won't turn to cheese on the drive home. 2020-2022 Chevrolet Corvette C8 Spare Tire Kit Options $340 and up! DOES NOT HAVE SPACE TO CARRY SPARE TIRE! " The Right Spare Tire Kit Engineered Specifically For Your C8 Corvette. *Please Note- The C8 Corvette is, without a doubt, a game-changer for the Corvette lover. In the process of designing this car, the last consideration on the minds of GM engineers was for a spare tire. Although we offer a spare for the C8 Vette, this car will not have adequate space to bring the spare along with you. For cars like this, Modern Spare customers have found that keeping the spare kit at home, still provides a much more convenient option over a tow truck and the anxiety of having your new Corvette on a flatbed. If a family member can bring the spare to you, you may still avoid long wait times and the stress of the alternatives. Very few cars have such limited space. We want to be clear that this kit is sized properly for the drivetrain of the car and therefore is too large to be stored with the car. " [view link] SJG Psychedelic Jazz Rock Fusion - Gambardella from Barcelona, Spain @ White Noise Sessions 30-10-2017 [view link] Milk'n Blues - Live Session #4 (from Brazil) [view link] [view link] [view link] this is what I took special notice of before Miss You, The Happiest Days of Our Lives, Another Brick in The Wall - Stones + Pink Floyd (cover) [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Another review [view link] I guess it has small trunks both front and rear, despite the fact that it has a front radiator. [view link] Speaking of the roof, it's removable on the coupe, just like those of previous Corvettes, and it fits inside the trunk that's just aft of the engine compartment. The rear trunk also can accommodate two golf bags, and a front trunk offers space for luggage or cargo while the roof is stowed. The new Corvette offers two trunk areas, one ahead of the passenger compartment and one behind the engine, for a total of 13 cubic feet of storage space. Chevrolet says the Corvette can fit two sets of golf clubs in the rear compartment when they are stacked on top of each other. In our testing, we were able to fit our set of clubs easily, so Chevy's claim seems valid. When it came to seeing if there was room for our carry-on-size suitcases, we were able to fit one in the Corvette's front trunk and two in the rear compartment. [view link] [view link] SJG Milk'n Blues - Still Got The Blues [view link] Nice Play List: [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    So let me go back now to looking at the PCV and EGR valves on C4 and C5 Testing PCV valve? Can have carbon build up in PCV system. [view link] As I know, 1964, only smog law which was retroactive, to '58 or '59. On Chrysler you had to install a special spacer to take the PCV hose between carburetor and intake manifold. Later cars had a vacuum port on the manifold, and crankcase connection could be on valve cover or oil filler cap. Eventually they lifted the retroactive requirement. Not that many old cars on the road that much. Bad PCV valve systems How to test PCV valve [view link]. [view link] SJG Milk'n Blues [view link] Milk'n Blues - Still Got The Blues [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    So thinking about Corvette LT1 PCV valves has shown me that there is more to this. Looking at a mid 1980's GMC pickup truck. Seems to have a crankcase breather on top of its PCV system. Wouldn't an open breather cause manifold vacuum to be lost through the PCV? Seen things like this on other vehicles too. I think this goes into the air filter housing where the hose attaches. Seen this on other vehicles. But why have this in addition to the PCV? [view link] [view link] SJG Milk'n Blues [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    This is similar to what I am seeing on the GM truck. [view link] So when you put them on, mirror image, the breather hose is on the Right Side and the PCV hose and filler cap are on the Left Side. [view link] They call this a crankcase breather, but to me it looks like a PCV valve. [view link] well this seems to be for Chrysler [view link] So lets see if I can look at the system on the entire engine: GM small block truck [view link] ^^^^ this shows the smog pumps and "EGR adapters" Chevrolet C/K 2500 Pick-up (1967 - 1987) [view link] costly: [view link] PCV versus Breathers. And I am familiar with this Factory Five Racing kits car org. [view link] And yes they would often by using GMC iron duke pushrod small blocks. " My motor builder has said just having breathers in the valve covers is better for power and drivability. I know PCV's are good for keeping the insides of a motor clean in daily use, but what about usage like mine, mostly on-track with some street? What are your thoughts? If I use just breathers, both sides? " crankcase evacuation kit [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    [view link] [view link] Similar to the truck in question, under the hood very similar [view link] [view link] [view link] [view link] SJG Stones, Gimme Shelter, with someone named Sasha [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    This might be TBI version only. [view link] SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    General Motors Full-Size Trucks 1980-87 Repair Manual Gasoline and Diesel Chiltons, An American Tradition Since 1925 SJG Why 'Sports Illustrated Swimsuit' will only work with brands that 'prove they are creating change for women' [view link] Weather Report - Live at Montreux (1976) [Remastered] [view link]
  • PinkSugarDoll
    3 years ago
    Ok. I am a car girl. I have a show car and I have a project that is now a butterfly and ready to fly to someone else. Here is what I can tell you about girls and cars. They do not know shit. They don’t know what words like “suspension” and “transmission” mean, they can’t tell the difference between cars, they sometimes are not even confident about what car they personally drive. Girls I work with know this is my hobby and they ask me for advice sometimes, I have been asked how do you get air (for tires), what is 4 wheel drive, and a girl I sold my car to waited two years to get tires when I told her they had about a month left. I work at Sapphire in Vegas regularly, where the career dancers live, these are girls who have their life together pretty good—I’m sure someone will have something to say about that but what I mean is, their income and life is secure enough to get the exact car they want. So the dancers have their own parking lot and valet, all of us can see each other’s cars. These girls all drive German cars. Or, Mustangs. And there is not one aftermarket wheel in the place. Lol. So in closing, I would say these are the cars that impress girls, at least this kind of girl. My genre of choice is Fast and Furious. BUT…the IROC Camaro is still a heavy hitter in my book. 💪
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    I think girls are just impressed when a guy has money. Because then he could buy other types of things. With my then wife we once saw a boy pushing a reel lawn mower. He was not very big. She said, "Women can't do stuff like that." I said that when I first learned to use a reel law mower I had much less size and strength than an adult woman. You find ways, like getting a running start, and having the mower be half on and half off. She still insisted that women couldn't do things like fixing cars because of a lack of strength. So I told her about the compound leverage metal snips, which were made for women working in the aircraft industry during the war. But now they are the standard for any metal cutting. I showed her socket wrenches and how you can always get more torque. The is is just to not break stuff. I told her about a body builder who had arms as big as my legs. He could do brake work, but his arms could not get under the hood. So she said it was just because women don't know how to do such things. I told her that that was just the cumulative effect of trying not to learn. I said that it is not that they can't, its because they have long ago decided that they shouldn't, that they would lose more than they gained. So they tune it out. There are exceptions though, rebuilding automatic transmissions. She has been on NPR. [view link] SJG To play cards with the barmaids while they work? [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    General Motors Full-Size Trucks 1980-87 Repair Manual Gasoline and Diesel Chiltons, An American Tradition Since 1925 I don't care for GM's soft sprung silly giant cars. But the other firms made them too. This though is about pickup trucks. So talking about E and I valve layout. I6 has perfect front to back symmetry. Small block V8 has perfect mirror image symmetry. V6 262cid, for Astros and S-10's does not have such symmetry. It couldn't with an odd number of cylinders per bank. And Big Block V8 does not have this symmetry at all. Just an EI pattern from front to back, and then the opposite as the head is turned around for the other side. About PCV and crankcase breather. So on Left side valve cover is the PCV valve. And it uses a check ball valve. If you can take it out and rattle the ball, then it is probably good. And they want you to use the approved valve as it is also a flow restrictor. Then off the right side you have the crankcase breather, and this sucks air in through a little filter, through the air cleaner housing. Then it goes out the PCV and into the intake manifold. HEI is High Energy Ignition. These have oversized distributor caps and the coil lives in the top of this cap. Seems to use the small 5/8" wrench sized spark plugs. Gaps can go up to 45 thousandths. They want you to use line wrenches on the fuel lines and the air conditioning. These are like open end wrenches, but the wrap around some. Great precautions about the air conditioning, to avoid damaging hoses. Splashing freon on you likely needs medical attention, and always if it is in the eyes. Great precautions if you plan to paint the car and bake it dry. Never carry Freon cans in the passenger compartment, and never let them sit in the sun, and never drop them. If it does not idle, PCV Valve and EGR Valve could be the problem. They recommend automatic transmission for trailer towing. They don't really count the tow vehicle weight, but they recommned 1hp per 35lbs of trailer weight. So 100hp can tow 3500 lbs, 200hp 7000 lbs, and 300 hp 10,500lbs. Trailering may require a big flex fan. ANd it may require a transmission cooler. To me it seems like a transmission temperature gauge would be in order. Use add on cooler in addition to cooler built into radiator. They say on the very front, in front of radiator and infront of AC condensor. To me it would seem like you don't want to put anything in front of AC condensor. They say that as fluid is cool it might have a hard time circulating and so you might find gear shifting impreeded. They say a cooler with a cold bypass valve in it. SJG OMS Martinists [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    To loosen the bolt to rotate the distributor, they say box end or crow's foot socket. [view link] I guess no open end? To weld near coolant lines, or to spray paint and back, you must completely discharge the coolant system. For the Evaporative Cannister you must only use rubber hoses which say EVAP. No synthetic engine oil until you have gone at least 5000 miles. It is so slippery that it interferes with proper break in. It is also expensive. SJG OMS Martinists [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    These GM engines have the pushrods running through the head(s). It was Ford that had the pushrods running through the intake manifold, and the the valve covers and their gaskets going out on to the manifold. GM has independent front suspension all the way up to the 1 ton (3500), and even for the 4 wheel drive versions. Dodge had solid axles for 4wd above 1/2 ton. And then Ford, you hope they have solid axles. But often for over 1/2 ton it was that stupid Twin I Beam swing axle system. GM HEI, High Energy Ignition has the coil and the solid state breakers right in the distributor. I think it is magnetic. Corvette LT1 had this Opti-Spark, which I guess is optical, and the coil is external. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    General Motors Full-Size Trucks 1980-87 Repair Manual Gasoline and Diesel Chilton's, An American Tradition Since 1925 The smog control gear on the vehicles of this era are extremely complicated. I think it got easier when they went to sequential fuel injection and everything being handled through the computer. But to understand where it all came from, the extreme complexity, is why I picked up the book. So let me go straight to the emission controls section. Positive Crankcase Ventilation to evacuate the crankcase of vapors PCV valve meters the air flow rate, to maintain idle quality. Valve sits in grommet in top of left valve cover. Crankcase breather hose goes from right side valve cover to air filter housing. Has its own little filter. In some "abnormal" situations it would send crankcase vapors back up and into the intake. Air Injector Reactor (A.I.R.) the smog pump. Injects air near the exhaust valve. Has diverter valve, check valve, and its own filter Pulse Air Injection (PAIR) exhaust gas pulses siphon fresh air into the exhausts. Has check valves. Mostly on I6 engines. Thermostatic Air Cleaner (Thermac) on all gasoline engines. Uses damper controlled by vacuum motor. Preheats cold inlet air. Evaporative Emission Control System (EECS) about 3 vacuum control valves. Must use special EVAP rubber tubing. Early Fuel Evaporation (EFE) valve on flange of exhaust manifold. For heat rising. Uses Thermal Vacuum Switch (TVS) which has 3 vacuum control lines Throttle Return Control (TRC) tries to interdict supper rich mixture you get when you quickly take your foot of the gas and let the throttle close. This slows it down. Oxygen Sensor, must never be expose to silicone, can't use silicone sealants on exhaust or intake manifolds. Do not touch sensor. If it looks white, it is trashed. Do not modify pig tail connector, do not solder other stuff to it. Might have to have exhaust manifold heated to 120 deg F to unscrew. Don't use regular anti-sieze, because that insulates it. Use special GM anti-seize for O2 sensors. Catalytic Converter, gets super hot. Install with suitable sealants. (ceramic?) Trapped Vacuum Spark, prevents drop in vacuum to distributor advance when cold. Uses Thermal Vaccum Switch (TVS) Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), feeds back a small amount of exhaust gas. Seems to have special mid throat port on carburetor. Purpose is to diffuse peak ignition temperature to prevent oxides of nitrogen from being formed. Sometimes use ECM (Electronic Control Module) Electronic Spark Timing (EST) System (California or fuel injected only) Explains diagnostic codes Goes into diesel engine Diesel has vacuum pump Huge set of vacuum diagrams Uses Rochester Carburetors Might have to install grease gun nipples. Use special grease for power assisted steering, not the same as chassis ball joints. Don't over fill ball joints so they screw up rubber booties. For manual transmission and rear axle use 80w 90 GL5. For automatic use Dextron. For power steering use special GM fluid or Dextron II. Has two tie rod adjustments. But you can get steering wheel of with puller. Can adjust camber (roofer's square on smooth flat concrete floor best ) Can adjust castor Shows two Delco Alternators with internal voltage regulators. These are better than the old two wire externals. On Chrysler the Drain Charge Ammeter was iconic. But because of better voltage regulation, and it gets even better, those ammeters are hard to buy now. Volt meter is sufficient. One of the Delcos is 3 phase delta, and the other is 3 phase Y. One has in addition a module of 3 exciter diodes. The other does not. There is always a wire for the dashboard warning light. On the one with the exciter diodes it back feeds to keep the light off. The other has some internal box to which a schematic is not supplied. Open front wheel bearings you need to grease. They say to replace inboard side grease seal every time. They show cross torque lug nut patterns for 5, 6, and 8 studs. SJG Stanley Clarke [view link] [view link] Buddy Guy, Knock on Wood [view link] [view link] Norah Jones, Something [view link] While My Guitar Gently Weeps [view link] [view link] THE ROLLING STONES - Hand Of Fate (1976) w/ Billy Preston in Paris [view link] Jumpin' Jack Flash, Paris 1976 [view link] Honky Tonk Woman [view link] Only Rock 'n' Roll [view link] Tumblin' Dice [view link] The Rolling Stones - Tumbling Dice - Oakland 1994 w/ early Lisa Fischer [view link] [view link]
  • chimera422
    3 years ago
    Lamborghini Diablo
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion