tuscl

Follies sues The City of Chamblee over police raid.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Tuesday, April 3, 2018 1:20 PM
Follies, a popular strip club on Buford Highway, is suing the city of Chamblee over what the owners call an illegal late-night raid. The suit, filed last week in DeKalb County Superior Court, doesn’t dispute that the city’s code allows searches of businesses that serve alcohol. But the club’s owners claim the Feb. 17 raid was excessive because of number of officers used and the disruption to business at 12:45 a.m., which is “peak hours.” The city police declined to comment because the litigation is pending. The suit claims officers violated the fourth amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which protects against unreasonable searches and seizures. “Officers blocked the front and back exits, causing fear and confusion among patrons and employees, especially those customers who wanted or needed to leave,” the suit alleges. “The City’s police cars were stationed outside Follies with blue lights activated. Five or more masked officers entered the club wearing tactical gear including body armor and with holstered weapons.” No one was able to leave until 2 a.m., when the officers left after confirming all the workers were properly licensed, the suit alleges. Follies says the officers had no reason to suspect they’d need an “overwhelming police presence” to conduct the search. The lawsuit points out that the club won a case against DeKalb County for a similar police raid that took place in 2013, before Follies was annexed into the city. Also in the suit, the club claims it was given no notice that the city had decided this year to rollback last call from 3 a.m. to 2 a.m. from Monday to Saturday. Follies is seeking damages to be determined at trial and attorney fees.

22 comments

• JohnSmith69
    6 years ago
    Damn whoever owns Follies has got big balls. I hope it works out but there seems to be a big risk of pissing off the authorities and giving them incentive to fuck with the best club anywhere. Did the cops find anything significant in the raid?
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    IDK - seems most times a club gets into a fight w/ a city, they don't come out too-well - this is probably especially problematic in conservative air-dance ATL - what the hell is wrong w/ these politicians that they feel they have to tell/control consenting adults w.r.t. what they choose to do behind closed-doors - jeez, it's not as if they are performing abortions at the club; just adults enjoying themselves and having adult fun (and people making a living)
  • chessmaster
    6 years ago
    ^people love acting as the "morality police".
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    The cops didn't find anything. It was basically a check to see if the dancers had the proper permits. The owner is a retired attorney that specialized in strip club litigation. [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    This still does not sound good for that awesome strip club! And the dancer permits is like unconstitutional. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Yes, we need these kinds of lawyers, lots of them: [view link] SJG
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    @JS, if the pussy cops who can’t raid a club full of naked women without body armor and tactical weapons decide to retaliate for his suit, he simply sues in *that* basis. The city *must* defend itself, or forfeit, and that costs money.
  • flagooner
    6 years ago
    "causing fear and confusion among patrons and employees" How about the independent contractors? ;-)
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    First the fire-marshal fining the club for over-crowding - now the raid - wonder if the city is getting tired of Follies and it's infamous rep and huge-crowds - or if it was just a random dancer-ID check to make sure the city is getting their$ - hopefully just a random-check and hopefully the city is not setting it's eyes on Follies (although they also reduced last-call by an hour) - if it was just a random ID check and the city is not trying to harass the club, then I think it would have been best for Follies not to complain; but it may be more than just a random ID check.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    I'm glad they know how to fight back, but this still does not look good for them. SJG
  • jestrite50
    6 years ago
    Looks like a pattern of harassment has started. This is what a city does when it wants a club to leave. They did the same thing in Cincinnati to Deja Vu. Eventually they closed their doors and never reopened.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    Stories from local strip club owners here, of cops following them around, Sunnyvale. Very hard to make a clean prostitution bust. SJG
  • JohnSmith69
    6 years ago
    It helps a lot that nothing illegal was found in the raid. It would also be important to know how strong the evidence of illegal activity was that was the basis for the raid. It would be wonderful if this strategy succeeded and was a model for other clubs being harassed. But I doubt it will happen. Most raids turn up some bullshit charges that are enough to justify police action. Plus most club owners would be too scared and too cheap to follow suit.
  • san_jose_guy
    6 years ago
    ^^^^ Yes, but we both know that things outside the law happen on a regular basis. That's why so many really like that club. So I still see this as real bad for that club, escalating a fight which they cannot win. Jim and Artie Mitchell escalated fights with the City, but they strictly prohibited FS. They were finally able to win a jury acquittal. But very few are that brave, or willing to pay the costs. I see this Follies situation as far more ominous, more like PP in Greenville SC. SJG
  • vincemichaels
    6 years ago
    Let's not sound the Death Dirge for Follies yet. Our clubs here in Detroit fight on through the years and tears as the pigs get free feels.
  • bubba267
    6 years ago
    My guess is that a payment was late or light and that they decided to send a message. Apparently Follies doesn’t agree.
  • Sajrandom
    6 years ago
    Damn, please don't let them take this place away! Looks like I need to visit soon...
  • TFP
    6 years ago
    Isn't this the same kind of thing that started happening with Hi-Liter in Phoenix? The clubs were similar also, I remember a member calling Hi-Liter 'the Follies of the west coast'. Both had cheap $10 high mileage floor dances and full menu VIPs. After the raids, Hi-Liter has lost it's luster, according to reviews. We can only hope the same doesn't happen to Follies.
  • Spillthebeans
    6 years ago
    Cops will say tactical gear needed, due to reports of drug use and dealers allowed in club. They had to show strength as security at the club does not have a handle on the criminal element allowed to be present. It never makes past discovery, as judge will throw it out !!! Next up, increased presence on streets around club and frequent check-ins by patrol "for the safety of the public". Poor shadow !!!! Hope someone from Follies ownership supports the right candidate in the next election!!!
  • snowtime
    6 years ago
    I think this was a stupid response by Follies. What have they got to gain by pissing off the city. Undercover police could enter Follies at any time day or night and see wide open drug use and sexual activity. They could shut them down any time based on numerous activities ongoing in the club. Unless it was a case if them missing a payment, it is hard to see this lawsuit doing Follies any good. In my opinion, it was a dumb, arrogant move on their part that will bite them in the ass. I hope I am wrong. Since they are the only club that blatantly gets away with this in Atlanta, they may have made a big mistake. Time will tell.
  • PinkSugarDoll
    6 years ago
    My club filed a suit against the police for a similar scenario. The club won, and it was awarded a handsome, handsome paycheck for damages. After this happened, the police have been told not to fuck with our club anymore because it cost the city so much money, presumably. And, they do not fuck with us anymore.
  • rentz2
    6 years ago
    No reason to poke the bear
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion