tuscl

Music Selection

Most of the clubs I've been to play rap almost exclusively. I believe most customers don't like it.

Why do clubs play mostly rap?

Please, serious replies only

29 comments

• shadowcat
    18 years ago
    Parodyman: Sorry I have to disagree. I thought that they sucked and the songs were all very short. Not what I want when getting a lap dance. BTW I am 65 going on 15. My favorite strip club song is "The way she moves" by Outkast.
  • shadowcat
    18 years ago
    OK Parodyman. I am giving them a shot. I searched on Lime Wire and got 132 hits. I am currectly trying to download 30 songs. Most popular appears to be Rock N Roll High School but I did recognize some other titles. I will will report back when they have down loaded and I have a chance to sample them...
  • DougS
    18 years ago
    I still vote for "it doesn't matter". When I'm getting a dance, especially a good one, I am not listening to the music... the only thing I will notice is the end of a song so I can keep count - that is if I'm not in the VIP area where I'd be paying by the time, rather than song.

In fact, I'm usually so oblivious to the music that once in a while a dancer will say "oh, I like this song", and then I'm straining to hear what she's listening to in order to see what song she's talking about.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    Whenever I've worn ear plugs, it was easier for me to hear a dancers voice over the noisy music than it was before. The loud noises are reduced but shouting voices still are easy to hear. In fact my ears don't start ringing from a dancers shouting if I have ear plugs in. From the sound of this discussion, it sounds like I'm one of the few guys who actually likes a lot of the music played in strip clubs. hmmm, I could try to talk dancers into playing certain songs. I have been asked by dancers more than once what kind of music I like.

I remember one day in college I was having fun blasting my music ( I made the selections) as loud as I could shaking the walls and floor of my dorm building for over an hour. I think I turned the music down temporarily. After a minute or two I suddenly heard some banging on my door. I was thinking uh hell no, someones complaining. The guy was from downstairs and instead of complaining he said to keep it up, he loved every minute of my music. Too bad I don't feel that way about all the songs I hear in a strip club. I think I would try to change things or visit a different strip club if they played country music. That's like scratching nails on a chalkboard to me.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    Based on my experience, it just hasn't made any difference. A lousy lapdance done to a song I like is still a lousy lapdance, and a great dance isn't any less great when the song sucks. Even songs that seem like they'd be bad for getting a dance due to their clunky rhythm or annoying vocal don't seem to matter once the action heats up. I just tune it out. I'm so used to tuning out the music, I even do it when I like the song.

Good music in a strip club is sort of like sports on the TVs. Something to appreciate when the girls aren't worth paying attention to.

As for old stuff like Marvin Gaye and AC/DC, I liked it in its time, but I'm sick of hearing the same three or four songs by each that have been played to death ever since. I don't mind some of that now and then in a strip club, not any more than anything else that gets overplayed. But a steady diet of oldies would make the place feel like a morgue. I'd rather get tired of hearing today's music.
  • motorhead
    18 years ago
    I am somewhat surprised to read the number of comments from guys who don't really care what the music is like. While we probably all agree that the music is certainly not the primary reason we all make our treks to strip clubs, I don't see how one can deny that a dance (whether it is a private dance or just watching a girl on stage) is far better if the music is enjoyable. For a 40-ish white guy, what is better than getting a lap dance with a girl to Marvin Gaye or AC/DC. My ATF says she tunes out music she doesn't like, but as a customer, I really enjoy the dance better if its a song I like.
  • YK
    18 years ago
    Book Guy is onto something.

FONDL, I can't remember being in a cold restaurant, but a simple solution would be to wear a sweater. Things aren't as simple in a strip club; wearing ear plugs would block dancers' voices as well as the rap.

If "...most gyms do esentially the same thing that strip clubs do", that makes two businesses that have it ass backwards. Doesn't make it right or more profitable.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    Book Guy asks, "But in what other industry on the planet do the CUSTOMERS willingly reduce their perception of the quality of their own experience in the name of improving the experience for the businessmen or -women?"

Lots of businesses do the same thing. Haven't you ever been in a restaurant that was so cold you were uncomfortable? They do that for the comfort of the hired help, who otherwise would be too hot from running around all the time and going in and out of the hot kitchen. It's pretty standard practice.

And most gyms do esentially the same thing that strip clubs do. Most of the customers are middle-aged or older people but the music that's blaring from the speakers is usually rap or hip-hop, because the hired help is all young kids.
  • parodyman-->
    18 years ago
    I am not making fun of anyone here. This just blows my fucking mind! Igiveup, you must be terribly young, extremely old or have lived in a cave to not know who the Ramones are. (were) If you've never heard them, download some MP3's and give it a chance. Early New York Punk at it's best!

ROCK ROCK ROCK ROCK ROCK N' ROLL HIGH SCHOOL!

parodyman--> dances around the room knocking shit over, wearing his leather jacket full of pins and wishing his hair was long and black!
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    Don't you love how movie theatres have gradually upped the amount and kind of advertising they subject the audience to after you've paid for your ticket? Movie trailers is one thing, but ordinary TV ads? DVDs do a similar thing, sometimes so that you can't FF through them. I liken it to strip clubs where you pay a cover charge only to have a DJ hector you for not tipping the fuglie onstage.

Don't get me started.
  • Book Guy
    18 years ago
    Actually, to address it more theoretically, in some ways there are a lot of industries that make customers do the work, the genuflection, the general bending-overing-backwardsing. For example, trying to deal with online banking. For a while there, in order to have the "convenience" of being able to access my accounts via a web browser and eliminate paper statements, the bank required that I pay extra, whereas I perceived it as a cost-cut for the bank, by which teller and paperwork hassles for them were reduced. They were charging me to reduce their work load for the same amount of service. It happens with cell phone customer service, too, and at most Wal-Marts, where we pay more to get less (once they've driven out the competition by means of extremely low prices).

In fact, I'm starting to come to a whole new understanding of this supposedly "free" market ... hmm, "choice"? Nah, they got us by the balls.

• chandler
    18 years ago
    Yes, it is funny, Book Guy. Although you could ask, "In what other industry do the customers willingly -----" and complete the question with any of a few dozen other equally absurd contortions we go through.
  • Book Guy
    18 years ago
    It's funny, "if it makes the girl happy." Yeah, I submit to that attitude, too, and find myself making mental excuses. But in what other industry on the planet do the CUSTOMERS willingly reduce their perception of the quality of their own experience in the name of improving the experience for the businessmen or -women? I just can't imagine the following: "I went to a bar near my house, and the music sucked, but the bartender likes it, so, in order to make him happier so that I won't get a badly poured beer, so be it. I'll put up with Rebel Hip Hop sung by Celine Dion just so my favorite bartender won't get his panties in a knot."
  • I hear rap/hip-hop much of the time. In fact, in the vast majority of times I go to a titty bar, it's either hip-hop or heavy metal. Why? Because it's the music the strippers want to strip to. The selection isn't the most important thing to me, although hearing music I like makes a visit better. But if it makes the girl happy, so be it.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    I hear very little rap in the clubs I go to. I believe the clubs I go to the dancer performing on the main stage has selected the music. That seems normal in most of my visits to strip clubs. I enjoy Metallica, Rob Zombie, AC/DC and other popular rock and heavy metal. I even heard one foreign song I believe called Gasolina or something like that I kind of liked. I don't think that is rap either. What I really do not like is country and to a lesser degree, the techno music where it's difficult to tell when a song starts and stops because it sounds like a jigsaw of songs grouped together.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    I'd rather see dancers dancing well and with enthusiasm to music I'd don't much care for than watch them give a half-hearted effort to something I like better. Good clubs let the girls choose their own music. I'd rather the club have a juke box where girls pick their own music, even if I'm asked to contribute a buck now and then, than have a DJ.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    I agree with FONDL. I don't go to a strip club for the music. In fact, if they played too much music I really enjoy, I would probably find it too distracting. I don't want it too loud, especially not when it gets the crowd whipped up.

I prefer for the dancers to have some say in what's played if it puts them in a better mood. When I've been in clubs where the owner or the DJ control the playlist, the girls seem bored and it makes the whole place feel uptight. Besides, I hate being pandered to by some DJs idea of what a white guy in his 40s wants to hear, just because I happen to be one.
  • minnow
    18 years ago
    YK: Which clubs do you go to, and what is age group of largest bloc of customers?? I'm of the age where I can recall what I was doing when Pres Kennedy was assasinated, so I am not a rap music fan. Many clubs I go to has its share of rap, but also techno, heavy metal, smooth jazz, pop, even oldies. Personally, I don't give a crap what song is being played during LD, provided that it is lengthy, uncut, AND I'm getting a good LD.
  • DandyDan
    18 years ago
    That is the biggest problem with my favorite club. It's in a middle of nowhere town, about half the clientele is old white folk (at least older than me), but since a good percentage of the dancers are black, and they get to choose their music, they play rap, most of which is unlistenable, at least in a nonstripclub context. The really bad part is sometimes, the manager of the club chooses the music for everyone and he will choose rap. I quite frankly don't get it. (Of course, that isn't why I like this particular club more than any other. But still....)
  • shadowcat
    18 years ago
    Who the hell is Ramones? I think that DJ's should play what the dancer wants to dance to. Ever hear one of them say "How in the fuck am I supposed to dance to that?". My favorite club plays a mix. Not too much rap or hip hop. My favorite dancers don't like it. Their ages are from a low of 24 to middle 30's. I know what their tastes are. I burn CD's every month for them. I do special requests. This months selection was "Sting".
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    I'm less concerned about the type of music than I am about the volume at which it is played. I'm not there to listen to music, but I am there partly to have an interesting conversation with a pretty girl. And if we have to yell at each other it's not much fun.
  • chitownlawyer
    18 years ago
    Dont' be greedy, Chandler. You can't draw "LA Woman" every time.
  • Yoda
    18 years ago
    Actually I don't hear rap at any of the clubs I go to. The DJ's are not allowed to play it. I miss the early days of Techno and Club Dance Re-Mixes....six or seven minute songs and dancers had not yet wised up to the fact that you could convince the DJ to cut the songs short simply by refusing to tip him...ah, the good old days...
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    I'll just say I hope the DJ never plays a set of Ramones songs while I'm getting dances. (They're about 2 minutes long, and not very lapdanceable.)
  • jimmyblong
    18 years ago
    The best clubs cater their music to their clients. Having the girls pick the music for their set is about the worst idea a club could do. The dj should check the crowd and see what is working and get the mix right for the crowd. A long time ago I was in a club in Brooklyn Il that typically played 3 song sets (back in the day when all clubs played the full song). Anyway, the dj started playing a set of all Ramones songs. The crowd went nuts. The dancers started dancing wildly responding to the crowd and the dj kept pumping up the crowd with chants of 'One More Time" and ending up playing about 6 ramones songs in a row. Everyone was exhausted from the energy expended in the room, but it totally made for a great time.

I've always wondered why during dayshifts when the retired guys are often frequently at the bar that clubs dont play some oldies, Sinatra, Elvis, etc. It always seems weird to see guys in their 60's head bobbing to P. Diddy.

Of course my biggest bitch is about clubs that play songs short..some as short as 2minutes 15 seconds. I tend to never go back to thise clubs as it ruins the music and vibe as well as I feel I'm really being hustled when getting dances. I wish there was a way to stage a boycot on that respect.
  • DougS
    18 years ago
    I personally, have no music preference. I'm also chameleon-like with my preferences. I found that with my prev ATF who was very hip/hop and R/B, suddenly I started liking that music, adding to my music collection this music so that it could be played during OTCing with her.

Now, surprisingly, I'm getting into Country (Cuntry? [grin]) music...

Just keep an open mind to the music... with a hottie in your lap, what does it really matter?
  • DailyGrind
    18 years ago
    I'm not a rap/hip-hop fan.
    But the beat is almost always conducive to hot grinding.

It can be a tough hurdle to clear, but animosity toward any genre being played in a club is counter-productive.

That the hottie on my lap is gettin into it is what matters to me.

As always, YMMV.
    DG
  • chitownlawyer
    18 years ago
    I'm not sure that I'd agree with your premise that clubs play mostly rap. The clubs that I go to play a mix of music that depends largely on the dj. Actually, I hear a lot of the 80s pop music that was popular when I was in college. However, they also play rock from the 70s and 80s.

To the extent that you do hear a lot of rap music at strip clubs, I suspect that it's because that's the kind of music that predominates in terms of what is currently being produced. I don't go to "straight" or "regular" nightclubs, but I suspect that rap is the kind of music you will hear at least as much as any other. That certainly seems to be the main kind of music that I hear coming from the vehicles driven by people in their teens or twenties, be they white or black.

By the way, as an "old guy" in my mid-40s, I suspect that my impression of what constitutes "rap" is a lot broader than it is for the cognescenti. I don't doubt that I call certain music "rap" that a 20 year old would call "hip-hop" or some other descriptive that I don't even know...kind of like the generation older than me dismissing 70s Carpenters' music as "rock."
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    Like Chitown says, you hear as much rap as you do because it is the most popular style of music of our time. I think it's played less in clubs I go to than its prevalence in the public at large - on the radio, sales charts, etc. - would warrant. Far less at some clubs that seem to avoid playing it. Sure, rap is less popular among older customers, but it's very popular with the young, including strippers.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion