tuscl

Follow up on Eve's post

Corvus
Arizona
@EveHartley's discussion on have you ever lost anything valuable in a strip club, and reading all the responses made me think.

Why do you take those items into the club with you? It seems reasonable today to take your phone. Fewer men seem to need, or use, a watch these days. Car keys and glasses are going to be needed inside most of the time. Wallets and everything in them, nice money clips, jewelry, credit cards, whatever else.

Do you still take some of those valuable, but not needed ITC items inside now?

23 comments

• joc13
    7 years ago
    I take my play phone ($100 refurbished phone running on $25/month pay as you go plan with a custom self-destruct app), my wallet, my keys, and my cash. Dance cash goes in my shirt pocket. VIP reserve cash stays in the wallet.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    I'd love to take my Nikon DSLR in but I'm sure they won't let me. :) I've got a cheap watch in addition to my phone so I won't lose track of time, although the cash will disappear like magic on occasion.
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    The only time I wear a watch is when I go to a strip club. There are no clocks in there for reasons you can figure out and I won't take my iPhone ITC.
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    I gotta take my iPhone and Apple Watch. I'm not an animal. I would like to leave my wallet at home, but when I do the dancers ignore me.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    I take my wallet - but it only has cash and my license in it. I bring my phone too - and my car key. That’s all. The less I bring in - the less to lose. It’s also easier to keep track of things - as it’s easy to become distracted.
  • Subraman
    7 years ago
    I don't take extraneous valuables, but would never be without my phone, and I also take my wallet (with all credit cards and ATM card), keys, glasses. No jewelry or the like.

I think this is completely dependent on your personality and self control, but for me, keeping my full wallet with credit cards is 100% benefit, 0 risk. I don't use the credit card in the club, nor have I ever just gone full retard over a girl and started charging things because I lost control. And I *do* use my credit card often -- to get coffee for me and my CF before I get to the club, to go out to dinner with CF or my buddies afterwards, to do the occasional after-shift OTC (not my preferred model, but do it occasionally). Am I missing something? How is the credit card anything but all-benefit no-risk, if you take my word for it that I never lose control and start charging things up in the club?
  • ButterMan
    7 years ago
    You have to take your phone in how else are you going to get new stripper numbers ?
  • Tiredtraveler
    7 years ago
    Had a phone taken once. fortunately it was a burner phone and had no information on it.
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    Butterman - you can either write it on a napkin or give her your's and let her text you.
  • Lurker_X
    7 years ago
    I do not take my phone in the club, I sit with the stripper and watch her add me to her contacts and send me a text. I keep a few scraps of paper in my wallet, and a pen, in case I need to write a number down - or some other minor note to somebody, or a reminder to myself.
  • larryfisherman
    7 years ago
    This writing down her number on a napkin or a piece of paper sounds like a 1970’s thing lol.
  • jester214
    7 years ago
    Generally the only valuables I have on me are my phone and wallet. On occasion I've had on a nice watch but that was just odd timing and no where to leave it.

My wallet goes everywhere, front right pocket and I frequently tap it. Before I go into a club I arrange my money so that I don't have to take out my wallet much, if I do take it out I go to the bathroom.

I've tried other variations, just money clip and ID, but I just found it to be annoying. So far no problems.
  • datinman
    7 years ago
    Too many times I have had a dancer ask me to empty my pockets for a lapper. I don't like sitting all my shit on a side table or couch/chair arm were it can be accessed. So I leave phone and wallet hidden in the car. I am old enough no one would card me and I refuse to let my ID be scanned anymore.

I do however wear a decent watch. I have found over the years that a nice watch is a beacon to strippers. I guess it displays discretionary income. Doesn't need to be a Rolex either, I have gotten more compliments / comments over my $400 Movado than anything else. "Nice watch" is a very common opening line and beats "wanna dance?" any day.
  • Subraman
    7 years ago
    I'll tell you the two reasons why I would never be without my phone, and then a FRAT (fuck reading all that)-length explanation:

1. It adds (sometimes significantly) to my fun at the club
    2. It's an indispensible personal safety tool

FUN AT THE CLUB: I get the stripper's number with my phone (I find shadowcat's technique is optimized for getting strippers to not contact you; if I actually want to make contact, I have to get her number). I communicate with CF when I'm on my way to the club, to let her know to start breaking free from her current customer, and sometimes when I've parked to ask her if she wants a coffee. She and I will text each other at the club ("I'm in the back, be out in 10"), and faux-flirt (she'll text me a nudie of her in the back, I'll text her back a picture of a $20 bill, ha ha ha all around). We'll text each other snarky comments about people sitting right next to us at our table. We'll show each other pictures and spicy memes we have on our phones. I use my phone to soundhound songs (I'd say 50+% of songs on my phone, I've heard at the club!)

^^^^ None of this is absolutely required to have fun, but the phone really truly adds a lot of phone to the experience.

2. PERSONAL SAFETY TOOL. For many decades, people didn't wear seatbelts, and the vast majority of them survived being in cars (my entire childhood, my seatbelt was my mom's arm swinging across the car). But now that we know how the small act of putting on a seatbelt could save your life in the unlikely event of an accident -- what kind of dope doesn't put on a seatbelt? Similarly, for all but the past few decades, humanity has survived without phones, and I'm likely to survive a trip to the strip club without having my phone. But given that a cell phone is so useful as a personal safety device, why do it? The ability to call the police if I see something dangerous in the club or outside the club, why would I give that up? What if I have a personal medical emergency? And during a strip club trip, I can easily be gone for 6-8 hours (an hour+ each way to commute, 3-4 hours at the club, an hour grabbing dinner afterwards with my buddies), why be out of touch with my kids for that much time, what if they need me? And, this is CA, earthquakes are a real phenomenon, and we know from past earthquakes that even when power goes down, often the cell phone network stays up, and if it does go down, is often the first service restored. Why wander around without that potential lifeline?

I realize most of you will resonate more with the "fun in the club" than "personal safety tool", but for me the 2nd one by itself is enough for me never to be without a phone. Like a seatbelt, it's an act that takes no energy at all but every day proves it can pay itself back in spades, for someone who takes personal responsibility for their safety. Or you can think I'm a paranoid weirdo, which is fine too :)
  • Rick999
    7 years ago
    I spent less on my phone than what I used to spend a year or two ago on a typical night out. In that respect what I now consider valuable isn't extremely valuable but it would be a major headache to replace. I do backup the data.

It's like if you lose your car in a wreck. A major pain. However you can't go far without it unless you bum rides off of others or use a more expensive ride service.

I don't think of my phone as a major safety device. I mean if someone goes on a shooting rampage, a gazillion others will likely call 911 before me and I can't turn my phone into a weapon to take out an attacker. For that I need close contact and martial arts or combat skills. I hope I'm never in that situation. That's not why I go to clubs.
  • Rick999
    7 years ago
    However I did see on a weather channel sos show that your phone could be a life saver of trapped and lost on a high mountain. It has a lense inside it you could use to start a fire. Tearing apart a phone to start a fire using the sun could be a life saver. Calling with no one else around could save your life too. If there is a refector inside the phone, holding out two fingers like a peace sign and using the reflective strip to refector sunlight between your two fingers lined up with a search helicopter could get you spotted and in that way your phone could be a life saver too.
  • Rick999
    7 years ago
    I've also put in medical alert data in my phone anyone can see what I'm allergic too if I'm passed out in a wreck and they retrieve my phone. No passcode required to view medical alert data.
  • Subraman
    7 years ago
    -->"I don't think of my phone as a major safety device. I mean if someone goes on a shooting rampage, a gazillion others will likely call 911 before me and I can't turn my phone into a weapon to take out an attacker. For that I need close contact and martial arts or combat skills. I hope I'm never in that situation. That's not why I go to clubs."

You're having a mall ninja moment, Rick. We all realize you don't go to clubs to stop shooting rampages :) :) More common things, that I've absolutely seen firsthand in the bad parts of the city many clubs are located, include minor assaults, possible medical emergencies, etc. All still not common, but real.

To add to my list, other things I use my phone for at the club: to call an uber or lyft to get a ride to the train station, so I don't have to walk buzzed through the often bad neighborhoods. To see the train schedule so I can time things. (as I said above, to be available for my kids if THEY need help while I"m gone, is pretty key for me)
  • Jascoi
    7 years ago
    now i travel lite. one cheap car key. some money wrapped with a rubberband. and only the cards i absolutely need. usually my old phone. i put the necessary card and key inside the protective cover. and maybe some bens for 'just in case'. been thinking of how i can sneak a shot of tequila into juicebar nude clubs...
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    The bare min, less to lose (or have stolen) - ph, $$$, car-keys - I get easily distracted and lose shit on my own thus usually carry the min even when outside the club where I tend to carry the min cash possible.

Never been much of a watch-wearer and haven't had one in years.
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    justme62 - put the tequila in a condom and stick it up your ass. :)
  • Jascoi
    7 years ago
    idk sc... i don't need it that desperately.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    Most strip club patrons aren't us. Which is to say, perhaps a little more experienced, knowledgeable, or obsessive. It doesn't occur to most guys that this is a risk.

I enter the club with a burner phone, keys, and a different wallet that only has cash. No fancy accessories. Everything else gets locked and alarmed in my vehicle.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion