tuscl

Quick personal update post-Irma

Book Guy
I write it like I mean it, but mostly they just want my money.
Just thought I'd let the board know that I'm doing fine after enduring Irma here in Largo, central Pinellas County, Florida. If you were wondering? Prolly not.

Anyway. I haven't yet looked through the board to see how the other Floridians have fared, and I really hope that there are no unhappy disaster stories due to Irma from any of our fellow TUSCLers. Best wishes to all in hurricanes' wakes, even to the several board trolls whom I've blocked (though I won't be unblocking them ...).

For me almost all's well. I have no injuries, no damage to property, except tons of sticks and palm fronds to pick up out of the yard, so I am pretty much back to normal. But I have no electricity. My sub portion of the grid is still dark and I have no guess when power should be restored. I have relatives within five blocks of me who have good power, and just a block away (less, really) are neighbors who have power too, any of whom will let me use their sockets for phone charging and their laundry machines, and I've been hanging at those houses whenever I needed a break from the heat. Restaurants and grocery and hardware stores are open within easy walk of me. Gee whiz, I have to carry a flashlight in the house, big deal. So, the only true discomfort is the cold-to-lukewarm showers, but I suppose if I really wanted to bother, I could even avoid those by going to a neighbor to bathe. Not really a huge issue.

I've been lucky, am thankful, and even might say I have kind of enjoyed the ride. Definitely a change of pace, nice to see people helping one another and getting over the Left Right divide a bit. Wonder how the local strip clubs have fared? I'll try to investigate as soon as I can!

15 comments

• shailynn
    7 years ago
    Glad to hear positives out of something negative.

I've heard "no so great" stories from several friends over on the west coast. They're okay but lots of stories of people being assholes!

Stay safe!
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    Ditto to what shailynn said. It's a big mess down there, I'm postponing my trip down to Florida, but the party will continue. Clubber, twentyfive and others have posted about their travails with Irma. Very, very glad y'all are OK.
  • Uprightcitizen
    7 years ago
    Glad all is well. It could have been much worse. Damn its got me reconsidering buying a place on the west coast now lol.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    Here in South Palmbeach county we got slammed my community is all well built CBS block construction we got a lot of trees down a few homes lost some roof tiles, thankfully not me, power was out for3.5 days, many like myself have generators, AFAIK even though the storm was catastrophic, the most here including myself came through it just fine, as an added bonus the last few days we've gotten a greater sense of community and met some neighbors that are more recent arrivals I think we'll be just fine.
  • JuiceBox69
    7 years ago
    Glade to see you doing well
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    It's good to know you came thru ok. I'm hoping all TUSCLers came out safe.
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    Our friend Papi is not doing too well. He got his power back but needs to see his doctor about the medical problem that has kept him from posting on TUSCL for the last month or so. He was supposed to see his doc yesterday but apparently his doctor's office is not up yet...no phones. etc. He feels terrible but is managing to do what he needs to do.
  • minnow
    7 years ago
    BG- Glad to hear you and other central Floridians dodged a Irma bullet. Best wishes getting your power back. According to Tampa Electric website on Monday noon, over 300,000 Tampa area customers lost electrical power.

As for clubs, I know 2001live.com website shut down (and presumably club closed) early Saturday evening, in anticipation of Irma, which reports indicated a bullseye on Tampa. Website was down until Tuesday.
  • crazyjoe
    7 years ago
    Glad to hear your doing good! That is good news. Hopefully your power is on soon. Hope you were able to do somethingbwith your food before it went bad
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    I'm sorry to hear about Papi. Thanks for the update, Shadow.
  • 4got2wipe
    7 years ago
    Glad to hear you're ok!
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Very sorry to hear about Papi. He told me his power was out for only a short time, but I didn't know the health issue was having complications. Please pass on our best wishes.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    I have texted with Papi several times in the last few weeks he is downplaying his health issues I prefer to respect his privacy and let him make any statement for himself he is improving that is true.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Very good point.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    Book Guy, glad to hear that you are doing okay!

SJG

I'm tied up on f2f political matters right now, that's why I've not been posting much.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion