tuscl

Airbnb and SC trips ?

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)

I don't travel for work but liking variety (both dancer and clubs wise) I like to take some out of area SC trips when I can.

Since these are personal trips they can get expensive when throwing-in airfare, car-rental, and hotel (particularly the hotel-room which seem to be pricey even for just decent 2-star rooms).

On my recent ATL trip I looked at the taxes on my airfare, car-rental, and hotel, and each had about a 20% tax-rate - f'ing ay.

Anyway - I've never done airbnb and was thinking it could perhaps be a way to save some $$$ on my SC trips where I often like to spend 4 or 5 days thus the hotel adds the f*** up.

Part of the problem I could see w/ an airbnb is me coming-in late at night past midnight from SCing and this perhaps being an issue w/ the host - I'm also not keen about staying in anyone's place mainly b/c I like to get-up late and like a quiet place where I won't be woken up or have a hard-time falling asleep b/c of noise in the house.

Anyone here done airbnb on SC trips - or airbnb in general? What has been your experience?

9 comments

• jackslash
    7 years ago
    I've used AirBnB a number of times, and I've liked it. I stayed a month in a nice apartment in Paris for about $100 a night. Can't beat that price.

I've only rented apartments where the owner was not present, and so I have had not issues with the hosts. It's cheaper to rent a room than a whole apartment. A host should not have any issues with the guest coming and going as he pleases--you're paying to stay there. And hosts have to be considerate of the guests and not make noise. You can read reviews of the hosts on the Airbnb site.
  • hassenpfeffer65
    7 years ago
    I've used airbnb for two family vacations and each time we had the place to ourselves with a greater level of privacy than you get in a hotel. The ads will often say whether or not the owner is off premises. If it doesn't, just ask beforehand. In my limited experience the owners respond quickly and politely to inquiries.
  • joc13
    7 years ago
    In some areas renting out an apt, or even a room in an apt, for short term stays (and sometimes any stay) is illegal, yet owners put them on Airbnb anyway. If that's the case, then you can get hassled by neighbors or get the cops called on you.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    Borrow Juice's van. You can camp out in it for a small fee. A bucket of chacken fangers should do it.
  • ppwh
    7 years ago
    I have used Airbnb quite a bit. Like with lap dances, I book one night to start with to check the place out. If the place sucks, Airbnb still wants to keep the booking fees for the whole stay even if you cancel, which at a $50/night place might be $5/night. I have gotten the booking fees back when I cancelled and rebooked at another Airbnb for the same dates, but I find it better to stay for one night first.

It's generally understood that you have 24/7 access to come and go unless the host says otherwise in the listing. Obviously if you're arriving at 3AM when the host is there, you would want to be quiet coming in, though.

Take all the reviews with a grain of salt. The hosts and guests review each other, so everyone raves about how great each other and the listing were. That's mainly so their next host doesn't see a string of negative reviews the prospective guest had left and deny the booking request to avoid having future business driven away. Anyway, It's generally easier to tell if the host is a crank by reading their listing and house rules. Also, If any stars are taken off for anything, that's usually pretty significant, since people generally rate the listings as though it were a 10 point scale, even though the max you can give is 5 stars.

If you're renting a room in a private residence, Airbnb hosts almost universally prohibit bringing in any guests who weren't listed in the booking, so keep that in mind, too.
  • shailynn
    7 years ago
    Have you tried pricelines express deals and Hotwire? I can usually get 4 star hotels for under $100 (before taxes) a night in just about any city. I've gotten nice 3.5 star hotels in "smaller" large citites for as low as $55 a night before taxes.

I use AirBnB some - never had a bad experience yet.
  • Mate27
    7 years ago
    VRBO mad Home Away are 2 sites that have worked well for me, and I'm sure air bnb is fine.

If you can find another traveling companion it makes more sense to do this than a hotel room, because at least you'll have a kitchen. To fix a few meals a day in saves money. Even if you just are having breakfast and eat dinner out, it's better than a hotel room.
  • doctorevil
    7 years ago
    Used to use Priceline quite a bit when I was doing a lot of personal travel. Best deals can be had as you get closer to the travel date and hotels are trying to sell unused rooms. I routinely got 3 or 4 star hotels for under $100 night. Haven't done this in a few years though.
  • doctorevil
    7 years ago
    Taxes on travel services are ridiculous. Local governments basically rape travelers because, by definition, they don't live there and don't vote there, so they don't care about them and see them only as a source of revenue.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion