tuscl

[OT] Is Bitcoin Back?

We haven't discussed financial matters on TUSCL here in quite sometime. So let's talk about BTC which appears to be rallying again. Is it back now? Did any of you pussies get shaken out by the 40% drop off the highs?

19 comments

• JohnSmith69
    7 years ago
    All I care about is the daily report on whether or not Rick is still a homosexual.
  • FTS
    7 years ago
    Pussy here. Looks like the reason for the rally is that the mining community successfully adopted the "New York Agreement," which provides a solution to the scaling problem. IMO, Bitcoin's fundamental value is its popularity and ubiquity of use (like all currencies). Therefore, I will buy back in if the chart of transactions per day (found on www.Blockchain.info) shows a dramatic increase in the daily transaction volume.
  • FTS
    7 years ago
    ... or if the price blows past $3000, whichever comes first.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    I think that bit coin just got hit with a new setback, the Feds closed up two major black market websites Alpha Bay and Hansa, that is a setback from my perspective for Bitcoin and other crypto currencies.
    http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/cu…
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    It's definitely a setback in some ways: I do agree that crypto currencies derive some of their value from black market value. Some coins have more black market popularity than others and that puts something of a floor under their price.

On the other hand, the high profile shutdowns will bring media attention to crypto-currencies, so I am not sure if the net is a win or a loss.

• twentyfive
    7 years ago
    I wouldn't be surprised if the algorithms that are used to create the the value are being compromised by the US DOJ as they try to root out drug and arms smuggling networks, and infiltrate their trading systems like this huge shutdown that was just announced.That will call into question the value of crypto, going forward.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    My guess would be that the either found a weakness in Tor or hit it with a known attack that the site owner was not diligent enough in defending against.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    Also there's plenty of offline ways the could have blown his cover. Or a combo between offline and online analysis.

Apparently he was 26 had a job in IT (must have been an overachiever like our depart anonlvone) but owned four Lambros between him and his wife.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    Ok, apparently the scoope was that he include an e-mail on the alphabay homepage and also gave it to users who needed their passwords reset (good thing the guy was IT and he could handle all that). But he used the same e-mail for a PayPal account that he made monthly payments to a....

wait for it...

PUA website: RooshV. Yes, same one that that Elliot Rodgers or whatever the fuck his name is that SJG is always talking about was on.

So, no, no evidence of a crypto break there. Guess was using SJG level diligence when it came to keeping his online and IRL identities separate.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    What is PUA Hate? I first heard about this is conjunction with Elliot Rodger. Is it just people who Hate Pickup Artists? Rodger could actually be very good as a pick up artist. But the college and the sorority girls are not the place to find that out.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/m…

http://www.mediaite.com/online/what-is-p…

"

Rodger’s language is familiar to anyone who’s spent time exploring the Pick-Up Artist or Men’s Rights Activist communities. Rodger was a “Nice Guy,” a man who feels he is entitled to sex based on positive personality traits known only to him. (“I've wanted love, affection, adoration. You think I’m unworthy of it. That's a crime that can never be forgiven,” he said). He aspired to be an “Alpha," the most attractive, dominant man in his group, but felt he’s been wrongly dismissed as an inferior “Beta.” Pick-Up Artists, by the way, refer to women they would like to have sex with as their “targets.”

Rodger was also allegedly a member of PUAHate.com, a website for men who feel they’ve been tricked by the Pick-Up Artist pyramid scheme, which takes men’s money and promises to teach them how to have sex with women. (And not just any woman, but one who scores at least a 7 on the PUA decimal rating scale of female attractiveness.) PUA Hate is a community devoted to criticizing the Pick-Up Artist movement and “the scams, deception, and misleading marketing techniques used by dating gurus and the seduction community to deceive men and profit from them." It is not, however, interested in putting an end to the PUA community’s objectification of women; it simply complains that the tips and tricks don’t work.
    "
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/201…

FWIW, I don't go along with the PUA doctrine, or with people like RooshV. Though I do find RooshV extremely humorous to listen to. But I do not agree with his views.

http://jezebel.com/lessons-from-a-day-sp…

With the sorority girls, and with most of the girls at a school like that, no, you can't just hit on them. But almost anywhere else, yes.

If Elliot was working part time on some suitable career, and instead going part time to a CSU, he'd of had all the pussy he could have handled. These elite rich girl schools are really bad places.

http://sluthate.com/

https://thehairpin.com/the-pickup-artist…

Now I understand, they don't hate PUA's, they hate the self-proclaimed experts who make money off of the concept. Now I understand.

I do not agree with the PUA doctrine, but much of what they actually suggest is just common sense and in many places, it is very easy to pick up on women.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea…

SJG
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    I read an article this morning about the mixed feelings in government toward digital cash: On the one hand they would like a digital currency because it is easy to create ones with protocols such that every transaction: black market or not is taxed. Right now they feel they out on lots of tax revenue due to off the book economic transactions. OTOH, they *are* scared of a non-sovereign backed currency gaining more popularity than a sovereign backed one. Also, consistent with what I was thinking about a month back, many feel that the best way to prevent this is to move quickly on hybrid (i.e. digital but backed by fiat of a state) currencies.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    " *are* scared of a non-sovereign backed currency gaining more popularity than a sovereign backed one."

I would think that this is always what they are scared of. They used to have all kinds of rules about reselling postage stamps. I always assumed that that was because they were afraid of postage stamps undermining the official currency.

Dan Rostenkowski, scandal claimed to have involved large numbers of postage stamps.

Carlo Ponzi, original scam based on international postal coupons.

If they can make these digital currencies always subject to taxation, does that create more pressure to use real cash? And even more scary, does that also make for more pressure to eliminate real cash?

SJG
  • ime
    7 years ago
    Funniest joke on the internet,

SJG went into a strip club !

that's the joke
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    SJG: "If they can make these digital currencies always subject to taxation, does that create more pressure to use real cash? And even more scary, does that also make for more pressure to eliminate real cash?"

According to this morning article: yes. And that's one of the main reason India is so eager to be a first adopter. (The level of poverty is probably another factor. Main of the crypto-currencies think the world's poorest are one its most promising markets. I don't know all the details but think it goes beyond low transaction fees.)
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    Looks like there really will be a bitcoin fork next week:

More volatility! Fun! Fun!
  • Mate27
    7 years ago
    Congrats on riding the wave back up!

Does anyone plan to take profits soon and re-enter, or time this roller coaster? Tom Lee, analyst, has given me the inkling to dip my toes into this. If I see another dip in the near future I think I will jump.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    I'm mostly just buy and #HODL, but sometimes things happen like they did with ZCash (ticker ZEC) the night before last: rockets 60% in about an hour. I had no choice but to take some profits right then but then get back when the price corrected the next day.

Overall up about 105% now, and have done slightly better than if I had just bought and #hodl'ed bitcoin through it all.

The interesting thing to me is how well Bitcoin is holding up despite all the "big guns" they are firing at it. FUD masters like Jamie Dimon, and governments cranking up legislation.

In my own life, I am building up connections, and there's a strong chance I'll be moving to working crypto currencies full time in the next year.
  • Mate27
    7 years ago
    Well I'm the organization I am building, there will be no need for currency. All of our members will be saturated in stripper grade pussy, draining us dry 24/7.

We will assist each other with no exchange of monetary needs. Think of it as imaginary funny money, the kind you grow on trees. The title of my organization will be "Quid pro quo" or "Wink and Nod Corporation",l. Come join our organization because....well, um you know why! With a smile and a handshake, we will give you a wink and nod and you can be on your way. Just ask SJG.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    ^^^ Lol!

I can't tell you much about the organization we are building yet for reasons of privacy. Once we are so big that the momentum can't be stopped, however, then I will share more.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion