tuscl

Clubs that have closed

We've all gone to clubs that went out of business for sundry reasons. Are there any clubs you've been to that you miss ? Here in the Detroit area, the clubs are Wayne county clubs. I live in a neighboring county, Macomb which used to have a few clubs. One got torn down and is now just a place to fish on the shoreline of our Lake St. Clair, the Sail Inn was its' name and it wasn't fancy but it was close to home, another one down in Warren got put out of business when the owners were renovating and tried to put in changes that the building department had not approved, when they found out about it, they shut the place down. Now all we have is the Traffic Light out in the Mt. Clemens area. In Detroit,, Wayne county a long time ago on East 8 Mile was the Zoo Bar, a dump which had mud wrestling as it's attraction. The city finally closed it down, I went there once with a buddy, and it was a dive with hookers sitting at the bar trolling for business. Anderson Gardens near downtown Detroit was another hooker hangout, city closed it down, too. Oakland county, fageddabout it !! The county has stopped all attempts to open a strip club, there was a bikini bar once out in Pontiac, but it closed.

Any clubs that you used to patronize, now closed ???

35 comments

• twentyfive
    7 years ago
    Here in South Florida there are so many that have closed it's not even possible to count. Many have closed because of local gorvernmen interference but here even more have closed because the value of their real estate skyrocketed way beyond what a strip club was capable of earning.
  • lopaw
    7 years ago
    Yeah I miss:

The Wild Goose
    Century Theatre (Nudes! Nudes! Nudes!)
    Fritz That's It
    Hawaii Theatre
    Monarchs

The Wild Goose was the first stripclub that I ever went to, and that started me on this path of debauchery. In hindsight I don't know whether to love them or hate them.

• ATACdawg
    7 years ago
    1320 Club II in Springfield VA. Always had a good time there with liberal two way contact. They lost their lease in the gentrifying shopping center in which they had been located for 35 years.
  • goldmongerATL
    7 years ago
    I miss the Gold Club in ATL just for the people watching. The dancers were all 8-10. It was the Studio 54 of strip clubs. You never knew who you would see catching a glimpse in the high buck areas. Jagger, Shaq and lots of other pro sports figures, recognizable CEO's of Fortune 500, etc.

The money was out of this world. Personally knew a dancer that said she only did extras for celebrities and her minimum was $1,000 and that was 25+ years ago. She drove a new Porsche, had a 27' cruiser on a local lake, pulled its trailer with her Range Rover and went traveling with customers all over the world.

But, the place was seriously mobbed up and the FBI shut it down.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    Club-Ante, basement of the upstairs blues club, Vibes. Closed for a long time now. San Mateo. Only above grounds club South of SF that had mileage.

Building demolished.

Hip Hugger, long term and much loved Sunnyvale club. Gone, building demolished.

Some of the bars for our underground Mexican circuit, gone or converted to Viet Coffee.

SJG
  • K
    7 years ago
    Club Celebration in Neptune NJ. Lesbian shows. I saw women giving blow jobs on stage. I'm surprised I wasn't turned into a pillar of salt.

Al's Bar in Newark.

Club Phoenix in Asbury Park.

Stars and Bars in Long Branch. BYO nude bar. Some wild biker chicks.

Pumps in Keansburg (it has since reopened as Sinsations) Some of The Brazilians and Russians would happily give you head if you would drive them home to Newark or Elizabeth. It saved them the $60 car service. Tip them well and you often get invited to stay the night and breakfast in the morning.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    vincemichaels is a real POS for lying that he served in the military when he did not.
  • jackslash
    7 years ago
    Was Anderson Gardens a strip club? I thought it was just a bar with hookers.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    Jack, when I was tending bar, one of my custies who was a DEA agent used to tell me stories about the place. I've only been in the place once after it changed hands after being shut down by Detroit. I'm relying on my buddy's reports.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    A correction about Oakland county. Thinking about it today, there was a Deja Vu that ran in Ferndale for a number of years. I was there the night the city closed it down. It was quite entertaining at midnight to see the cops rush into the club and order us all out. Good job, piggies. Protect us from ourselves. Great use of taxpayer (us) dollars.
  • anthony6613
    7 years ago
    The original Jason's in Windsor. Andersons and Willis Show Bar were hooker hangouts in the Cass corridor. Total dives.
  • Ironcat
    7 years ago
    Platinum Plus in Greenville, which changed the whole culture among other clubs in the area. It used to be pretty wide open and now all the other clubs are so paranoid about getting shut down that the clubs all suck - most now require pasties and all dances are closely monitored.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    Off the top of my head I can't think of any that have shut down *and* I miss down-here in Miami.

But there were two in Arlington, TX that were forced to shut down a bit b/f I left the area at the end of 2009 - Arlington, TX is a smallish city in b/w Dallas and Ft Worth and had a nice strip club scene prior to 2010 when the new billion-dollar Dallas-Cowboys stadium opened in 2010 - I guess Jerry Jones did not want seedy businesses taking away from his glitzy investment - the city. although smallish. at one point I think had up to 14 SCs - now only one is listed on TUSCL and it has traditionally sucked - anyway in Arlington in the 2000s there was a club called "Fantasy Ranch" - great club w/ great variety - upscale-ish but not plush - nice selection of dancers from spinners to curvy girls along w/ a decent # of AAs (about 20% AA); and cool staff - it was a great club w/ a nice vibe and it was cozy like a big home - also in Arlington was a black-club that had tons of big-booties (thus it was my fave) called Peep-N-Toms.
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    Danny's and Platinum Plus in Memphis. Crazy Horse Saloon in Atlanta.
  • Tomkat56
    7 years ago
    Any Jersey guys remember Cheeks in Pemberton? They had indoor tents instead of ld rooms-
    Once you got in the tent, the only rule was that there were no rules.....
  • goldmongerATL
    7 years ago
    What was the place in SF near the convention center? I want to say Chez Paree. Small place with guaranteed FS with any dancer.
  • AnonymousJim
    7 years ago
    We had a Spearmint Rhino near us that closed. It was only open for about two years. The place was a 10-minute drive from any form of civilization other than a golf course across the street and a 45-minute drive from a major metro area where people are used to having to go no more than 20 minutes across town. What they were thinking putting the place out in the country like that, I have no idea.

Did have a girl give me a nice BJ there once. Also had a girl give me literally the worst lap dance I ever had. They started out giving a bonus to girls who worked out there to try and get talent. They also suspended the cover in the winter to try and get customers. Once the girls realized there were only a few locals who only came in to have a drink and leave, the talent seemingly started turning over every couple weeks. The last couple visits I made were really dismal.

Whoever pitched that location to the higher-ups with the brand should have gotten canned.
  • sp
    7 years ago
    Mario's in Johnston RI was the best place ever. It was small but always had a lot of dancers that would do full on contact lap dances. They would come up to you and give you a mini lap dance at your chair for a few bucks so you were basically doing a test drive. They tore it down and put up a McDonalds. I always compare my visits to other clubs with it but have yet to find one that matches the fun and feel.
  • K
    7 years ago
    TomKat
    yes. I forgot to include cheeks on my list. A Brazilian by the name of Laura will always have a special place in my memory
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    7 years ago

1. I concur with two of Lopaw's choices: Fritz and Hawaii. Even though I left L.A. before they closed, they were great clubs.

2. Now that I've been in the Puget Sound Region long enough to have seen some clubs close, I really miss Rick's in Seattle, and Honey's in Everett. Both closed in 2010, along with two others owned by the same company. (Major legal problems caused the simultaneous closure of all four.)
  • johndough20020
    7 years ago
    Club Extasy in the DMV
  • Mainster
    7 years ago
    I'm not sure Centerfolds in Phoenix was much of a loss; it getting sketchy as fuck before the bouncer beat a customer to death. Christie's in Phoenix shuttered because of crappy management. It may re-open, but that's been the buzz for so long that it's easy to discount. There are a few more that probably SHOULD close down, but somehow they hang on.
  • Eagle1191
    7 years ago
    Little Darlings in Baltimore, you could get away with all kinds of shit for a low amount.
  • DR99
    7 years ago
    I think a couple clubs have closed recently in Detroit Vlive and Silver Rain two booty clubs lasted about a year or a little over. Someone also said Club Venus isn't open either now. Detroit with restrictive rules and raids have killed the VIP, and you don't get the high end talent like you used to because of the extras environment. I know two girls that danced in the early 2000's and came back later in the mid to late 2000's and money was so much lower for much great expectations in a dance.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    I'm assuming you're talking about Jon-Jon's in Macomb county? Or a name something close to that... my mom worked there for a short while, said she did pretty well although it was a very blue collar crowd.

Did you ever hear of some club named Siloh's or Shilo's or something like that? It almost created a Detroit club war, from what I've been told.

There is still a bikini bar in Pontiac. There's no more Little David's or whatever the hell it was called but there is a bikini bar there now.

• NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    *the current bikini bar in Pontiac is in a different location than the old one I assume. Not sure.

*my mom worked at Jon-Jon's a really long time ago.
  • NinaBambina
    7 years ago
    No txtittyfag, your daddy actually taught me everything I know... it's ok though, he only claims you as his sperm-donated offspring. No hard feelings, ho!
  • Jascoi
    7 years ago
    lopaw... i too miss monarchs. i only have myself to blame for missing the others you listed. for example... hawaiian theater. idk how many times i saw their billboards on the 605 and the 60. it wasn't until i became a member of bonedin that i realized what a treasure i missed. but at least i experienced the best of monarchs. and coi.
  • Jascoi
    7 years ago
    and also the worst of monarchs. namely nia.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    JonJons was the club I was talking about Nina, a lot of us got a huge laugh when the moron ownrers tried to slip the unauthorized renovations through and got slammed by th ecity of Warren. You don't mess with Jim Fouts and crew.
  • Hank Moody
    7 years ago
    I actually miss Crazy Horse Too in Vegas. It was the one vegas club with great quality dancers and mileage if you searched it out. Pricey but not crazy.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    There are a few old clubs that have closed in Northern NJ.

My old favorite was a Bloomfield club Heartbreakers - and they tried to close that place down for years - they finally did and it was sad - as it was cheap and no holes barred upstairs.

There was a club in West Orange/Orange - I think it was called Spankys - not far from the Thomas Edison historical site - and it was a fun spot to hang out and drink - and the VIP area was filthy - but full service.

I think they also closed an old club (near Belleville) named The Red Shingle. It was in a residential area - and I doubt they wanted a club there. It was a fun spot - until I got tossed during a bachelor party.
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    I wrote a rather long response that somehow doesn't show. Perhaps residual telecom issues from irma. Not going to type it all again, but the club is still a "club", but nothing like it was years ago. Closest to my home.
  • JohnSmith69
    7 years ago
    I miss PP in Greenville. Has a lot of good times there. Now you have to go to Atlanta to have fun.
  • joc13
    7 years ago
    @goldmonger I liked the pre-mob Gold Club, except for the night I sprung for the expensive champagne to hang out in VIP in the top left corner and 20 mins later Motley Crue came in and took over the top right VIP. Was like a giant stripper magnet came on and every girl in the place was sucked into that corner.

I also miss Taj Mahal. They never got to completely realize their vision of a true full service gentleman's club (pool, gym, locker room, billiard room, dining room, barber, shoe shine, and of course hot strippers)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion