tuscl

Tijuana better to use peso's instead of dollars

rugrat
Roaming the USA
Sunday, March 26, 2017 1:10 PM
Heading to Tijuana next week. I have always paid in $$'s and the going rate, especially at Hong Kong, seems to be $80 and up lately instead of the $60 a few years ago.. With the recent devolution of the peso in the last couple of years, I wonder if anyone has tried paying with peso's instead of $$'s to get a better deal. 1000 pesos a couple of years ago would have been close to $100 UA, but now is just over $50. Anyone had any luck getting a better deal in Tijuana using peso's? Tijuana is already such a great deal compared to the US that I don't mind paying $$'s, just trying to get the most for my money

21 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    A couple of TJ regulars said they use pesos instead of dollars to get a better deal - perhaps they'll post the details.
  • vincemichaels
    7 years ago
    Hell, what's a few pesos.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    Everyone says better to use pesos, as girls pay their bill in pesos and deposit pesos into their bank accounts. SJG
  • Corvus
    7 years ago
    To quote a wise man, Hell, if you're going to sweat a peso or two why bother going to TJ at all?
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    LOL - gotta save those pesos
  • WetWilly
    7 years ago
    It all depends on what the merchants know, including the putas. If they are aware enough to give you accurate numbers based on recent currency fluctuations then it doesn't matter. If they don't make the adjustment before quoting you, then you're better giving them the currency which is dropping in value.
  • l00ber
    7 years ago
    TL;DR answer, for the most part, you can save money by converting to Pesos. But it's probably more worth your while if you are indulging in more than one fuck before crossing back. You can find multiple combio on every block in the tourist-friendly areas so changing money is not a big inconvenience. Most food and services will save you a lot when paying in pesos. These places don't want to alienate local customers and usually have a must closer exchange rate at the register. Most puta bars will have prices set in dollars since they cater predominately to 'Muricans. But their in-house exchange rates will still favor those who bother to convert to pesos. Best yet, you might find some girl who is just awful at math and get 800 pesos for the hour. Yes, it happened for me. Yes, this is me bragging. Contrary to what someone wrote above, most rent and utilities for locals are paid in dollars. It's a part of the problem that keeps immigrant (yes, they have them too) populations in a cycle of poverty since locals have to pay a percentage when converting to dollars to pay for rent.
  • DaOnion2
    7 years ago
    Like 100ber said above, it's better to use pesos for dining in the local restaurants. Also, as he mentioned, the in-house exchange rates are also favorable. For example, Hong Kong has their in house exchange rate set to 17 to 1, even though the peso has been ranging between 18 to 21 to 1 in recent months. So, you are better off paying in pesos at most of the puta bars. However, one caveat. If you are going to pay for ficha drinks, your drinks, etc. in pesos, know the price in advance. For example, at Hong Kong, a ficha drink is $9 U.S. or 153 pesos, using HK's 17 to 1 exchange rate. It's a better deal to pay in pesos, but be careful you don't get overcharged if you are drunk or if you get a crooked mesero. Also, have the right amount of pesos for the tip too. Otherwise, you might actually wind up paying more, if you don't have the correct denomination and wind up overtipping. Unless you are very experienced using pesos, it might just be easier to stick to dollars, for the little bit that you'll save, so you don't miscalculate or get ripped off. It's really easy to just give them a $10 bill for the ficha drink with a tip. Or, to give $5 for your beer, with a tip.
  • ime
    7 years ago
    So you are saying SJG is wrong again as usual, no suprise there. But then again he has lived close to TJ his whole life and never went and never will.
  • WetWilly
    7 years ago
    Guys, SJG has never been to Tijuana. He knows nothing about the place, much less the currency or exchanging dollars for pesos.....
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    I traveled a lot in my life and I'd keep a cheat sheet on exchange rates, as in $5 is x $25 is y and $100 is z. If you're only in that country a short time, it's handier than doing it on your phone.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    "... Unless you are very experienced using pesos, it might just be easier to stick to dollars, for the little bit that you'll save, so you don't miscalculate or get ripped off ..." Yeah - you don't want to give the poor mesero a 1-peso tip by mistake thinking you gave him a decent tip when in reality you gave him about a 5-cent American tip.
  • rockstar666
    7 years ago
    Isn't a 5 cent tip in Mexico generous? *ducking*
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    WetWilly is not only full of shit, he is a jack ass. I never said I had been to TJ. What I said was that people say it is better to use pesos, and this is true. I didn't mean this as a way of being cheap with people. And I have followed reports of the changes in the exchange rate. SJG
  • Jascoi
    7 years ago
    i use pesos a lot now. saves on street girls, rooms, drinks, food and buying a hk vip card. but as to the bar girls... you gotta figure it out. basically i make an opening offer for arriba with pesos. at a certain point it may be better deal to pay her in dollars. i make a note of that breakeven point. have fun!
  • Jascoi
    7 years ago
    btw. $3us taxi from border to zona norte. the new bridge shortens the drive for taxies. one of the group of first yellow taxies accepted my offer. no tip.
  • Jascoi
    7 years ago
    i pay for the drinks and food and room with pesos. and the $1 tip with a dollar.
  • BumHip
    7 years ago
    SJC, why the fuck would you give an opinion on a topic that A) no one asked you about, and B) you have no experience in. Why on earth do you feel the need to be the "Captain" of everything on here?
  • minnow
    7 years ago
    Che gave some good advice. I haven't been to Mexico in a while (Central Mexico, not TJ). At the time, went regularly enough to benefit from using pesos. I found ATM machines to be good, fees were very low when compared to US. Keep in mind that the lowest paper denomination there is 20 pesos. Most exchange places in US don't take coins, only paper. If I had any coins left over, I'd just tip the airport van driver extra. I never bothered with trading pesos back to USD while in Mexico, only when back in US, and only with paper pesos.
  • san_jose_guy
    7 years ago
    ERICnVEGAS, the OP asked a question. Detailed information was slow in coming. Still seems to be slow. But these matters are discussed other places, so telling our op of this is just common courtesy, something you Eric could do with some lessons in. I remember some of your previous threads. Topical Bar Gallery [view link] in case you don't want to give them an email address, password: 54tropical6g These prices look lower to me than what I remember, Jacuzzi Master Suite starting at $80, perhaps due to low peso's rate. [view link] Can't be there yet, but I will be. When I go, regardless of the exchange rates, I expect to be doing everything in pesos, except for that which is set up via online. Not to be cheap with anyone, just as a show of respect, as they pay all of their bills in pesos. To me the places looks like it is the heavenly paradise here on earth. I understand why lots of American guys opt to live there, and even purchase houses. I would never purchase a house in Silicon Valley, too much money tied up for what it does, and to great a height to fall from. SJG
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    I've generally gotten pesos from ATMs (in places further south in Mexico), using ATMs from larger banks (Banamex, Bancomer, Santander, etc.). Not good in TJ? People in Mexico often prefer US dollars for their savings. Do the more successful DLNs actually prefer dollars?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion