tuscl

Stock Investing Help ?

JuiceBox69
Fucking on Young N Dumb Chicken Heads
Been studying lots of companies I enjoy and looking at those historical ups and downs...a bunch opens up at $1 and 10-20 years later are now at $50-$150

My question is how do you find those companies just staring out on the market for $1 a share ?

87 comments

• crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    Buy Crazyjoe stock in shitters that dont flush
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Usually if a stock has a price that low it's for a reason. Many funds also have restriction on buying stocks under $5. But, yeah, sometimes some buys one and they takeoff. I remember C getting a little below $1 in 2009 (well before the 10:1 reverse split).

Guess that's another point, be careful you are looking at split adjusted data.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Gotcha....so I really should be looking for $5 at lowest entry for best safety
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Stocks below $5 are considered penny stocks and there are several ways to find penny stocks. I've lost money speculating on penny stocks. It's a lot safer and easier to make money investing in stocks of more reliable companies you know about like Warren Buffet says.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    What's the best ways to research and find these companies ?
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    I'd say so. Even between $5 and $10 liquidity can be pretty thin.

Only thing I ever did with a stock around $1 was to buy puts on GM back in 2009 and that turned into a very interesting situation.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    I've looked into penny stocks and have no interest because of how scamming it can be...so it sounds like I'm at lest looking at $5 at lowest intro then
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Several penny stocks gyrate wildly and several go out of business.

Sometimes you can get scam promotion literature in the mail or emails promoting them and that's a scam. Price jumps up as people fall for it then it gets sold off big by the scam artists.
    I think they call that the ol Pump and Dump scam.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    I've been buying about $5,000 in company stocks pet year at 15% off market value so around $15 a share

I'm starting up a Edward JONES account this year to focus on short term trading like 5 years or less inbetween trading for profits

I plain on contribution to this account about $5K per year to this account and seeing what I can turn it into
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    I also want to learn how to short stocks as a strategy as well
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Shorting is much harder than long, the main reason being the obvious one that the stock market is a positive sum game. But, obviously, opportunities do pop themselves up every now and them.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    I agree from what little I've read but I really like the while analysis of data and taking gambles based on information collected

Thanks for the help and ideas guys

What publication should I look into subscription to ? Or is Google finances enough if I learn how to research properly
  • NoReviewTroll
    8 years ago
    Whenever you open your brokerage account, there should be a wealth of research reports and other analysis available to you through the broker website. Edward Jones? Really? I believe they'll charge you pretty high commissions, but not sure. Check out Charles Schwab. $6.95 trades.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Juice, your bank probably has a financial advisor. Mine does. I made an appointment to talk with him early January. It was okay and a good start. I spoke with him and a manager for about 90 minutes. All no extra cost.

with them, I'm making deposits into a savings account for 6 months, then we'll talk about investing once I "ratchet down expenses until it hurts" (their words, not mine). They had me bring by my 401k materials and they gave me honest advice what they would do / pick if they were in my shoes, with my funds. etc.

I mention it is case this is useful. Sorry, I have zero experience with stocks. I just always assumed I never had enough money to play. but like you, I am changing my attitude about this.
  • NoReviewTroll
    8 years ago
    Juice, unless you really like the research and gambling aspect of it, as a new investor with a small bankroll, you are much better off with no load or low commission mutual funds. Again, Edward Jones or your bank are probably not your best bet, because they are going to charge higher commissions or management fees. Open an account with Schwab, Etrade, or Fidelity and research all the no fee mutual funds available to you. There are a ton to choose from and they'll have ratings from companies like Morningstar, which is kind of like a Consumer Reports review of a product.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    If you want to gamble with your broker you can try RobinHood which offers commission free trades. Personally I'm more nervous about any product given away for free versus ones that charges.

Are you thinking of SYSTEMs trading or discretionary or too early to say?
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    NoReview thanks for the helpful advice

Dominic I agree...I'm glade I changed my view because now I'm in a place financially I never thought possible

Like you I had to clamp down to were it hurt...no more this...no more that...but in the long run I would gain those things back and then some

Hell I never thought I would get into stocks until people started pointing out if I'm that good in poker then I have at least the correct mindset to invest in stocks and probably do alright for myself.

One of my big ideas is if I cash one of my big tournament of $1,000-$2,000 entry I would win $100,000-$500,000 depending on how many entered and rebuys and add ons but once I hit that number I wouldn't want to play poker with it

So I would roll it over into stocks and try to build some more wealth with it
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Juice, I agree with NRT. I don't think I can get ahead by "trading." Which is short-term buying/selling. That is for Level 19 Wizards like Dougster with millions of dollars. I think I need "investing" which is buying and holding long-term for growth.

The fees and taxes with trading, from what I can tell, will eat into our gains. Death by 10,000 cuts.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    What's systems trading ?

I'm to much of a naivis to say I would suppose
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Just like in poker

Cash games is a safe investment

Tournament is a gamble with high payoffs

In stocks I want to do so similar

I want a safe long term strategy for the bulk of my wealth

But I want to gamble it up with a certain percentage to take shots in the short run
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Systems trading is where you make up a set of rules and the computer takes over from there. And you're not supposed to fuck with it once it's running just because you get scared. :-) Same thing as algorithmic trading.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    Just look at ETFs you get the benefit and safety of a mutual fund with the liquidity of a stock, and as a newbie you don't want to be just spinning trades for your brokers benefit. You could like Dominic said go into your bank and make appointment with the financial guy, or you could go to a place like fidelity they will speak to you without charge and give you some solid advice. Another thing, if they are soliciting you it probably is junk , and as far as research is concerned get some of Jim Cramer's books on investing he is pretty solid in explaining the basics of investing.
    My strategy is value investing Buy and Hold , good quality securities think major companies maybe not sexy like finding a dollar stock that shoots up like a lottery ticket, but I'm not playing the lottery the companies that i buy do well over a long term and I don't need to watch the stock ticker which is a waste of my time, I usually reevaluate only once every quarter and for the most part make no changes other than to add to holdings.
    If I were in your situation I would not be interested in shorting or any exotic strategies the traders generally fuck up and crap out to use a gambling phrase, I would buying good quality companies think GS, MSFT, WMT, and enroll in their DRIP program which will allow you to buy stock directly with no brokerage fees.
    There is so much to investing educate your self it is a skill that is well worth it.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Ah, yes, almost forgot to mention because there are different opinions on this. But there are brokers and others who have good "paper trading software" where you simulate doing real trading. Problem is that if it isn't real money it just not realistic. I imagine you would know what I'm talking about here. Imagine try to learn anything beyond the very mechanics of the game by playing at the "free" tables online.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    @Dougster playing investor is sort of like kissing your sister, if you really are serious and want to learn you need to get in the water, standing on the shore is just theory, in order to swim you need to get wet.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    Dude at the rate you're eating Chackin Torpedos and drinking Four Lokos you may not be alive in 10 years!
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    LMFAO !!!!

Some really good sound advice and fun ideas I need to research
  • jackslash
    8 years ago
    My advice is to put all your money into strippers' thongs.
  • warhawks
    8 years ago
    I think the real question is: What's up with the Winnie the Pooh avatars?
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Jack wins LMFAO

Windy da pooh loves da honey pot
  • ime
    8 years ago
    Juice invest in what you know. In your case ticker symbol is YUM.

Yum! Brands Inc. (NYSE: YUM) is the world's largest fast food company with 35,000 restaurants in over 110 countries. Yum restaurants include KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Long John Silvers (LJS), A&W, Pasta Bravo, Wing Street, and East Dawning.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    I would stay away from individual stocks in your case Juice. BTW YUM is not a good buy now it is too close to its high and book value is negative.
  • ime
    8 years ago
    25 that was a joke, i am sure Juice could tell.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    I got that, but novice investors are confused easily. Hope he is serious about growing his assets it's always cool when folks start taking charge of their life and being financially independent is a great feeling.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Yep 25 this is year 2 of being majorly financial responsibility

• JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    I've literally been able to save 50% of my income due to living a creative minimalist life style and having a job that pays the highest I have ever had...$20 an hour with 40 hours overtime damn near every week

I'm used to living off of $7 an hour for 40 hours with no overtime
  • ime
    8 years ago
    Juice check out betterment.com superlow fee no transaction cost backed by vanguard.
  • jackslash
    8 years ago
    It's nice that I don't have to worry about investing any more. I live off the investments I have already made.
  • ime
    8 years ago
    Juice posting from my phone will correct later or Pm its not backed by Vanguard, lower fees than them
  • ime
    8 years ago
    So wait people are doing well from fundamental and long term investing? Aren't we all loser's in a Ponzi scheme, oh wait SJG is a moron, nevermind.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    If you do get interested in SYSTEMs trading let me know. I can point you at some good resource. (This is an area taking off in just the last 3 years.)
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    @25: I don't follow WMT too closely. Do you think they can survive against AMZN long term?
  • ime
    8 years ago
    Do you need a white suit to SYSTEM trade properly.

I find the robo-investing very interesting and have been getting some good returns on some side non-retirement investing.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    Do you need a white suit to SYSTEM trade properly.

ROFL!
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    SYSTEM trading involves exploiting crack whores, single moms, and Haitian refuges
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    You get to wear your pyjamas if you do it non-professionally. If you do it professionally gonna depend who you work for.
  • ime
    8 years ago
    Is it not governed by the Council of Rick's?
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Turned out they were all tittyfag(dot) aliases!
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    I like WMT and AMZN I own both.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Lol
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Oh, one final thought: I would estimate that around 99% of everyone would do better just by buying and holding an index ETF like SPY than by trying to beat the S&P. You've been warned!
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Che, awesome, thank you. I'm ordering that book suggestion from AMZN today. https://www.amazon.com/Intelligent-Inves…
  • Daddillac
    8 years ago
    I started as a stock broker in 1991... since then I have built a financial planning firm and moved away from picking individual stocks.... At the risk of sounding like SJG, picking stocks particularly penny stocks is a chumps game. I agree with Dougster that 99% of people would do fine to buy and hold an index ETF, if they are doing it on their own. If they want advice on a wide range of financial topics then they should consider a CFP however be prepared to compensate them for their advice
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Daddillac, I'm glad to read that you weren't a stock broker in the 1980s. I'm old enough to remember the running joke about stock brokers jumping out off skyscraper windows after making bad picks and losing it all.
  • Daddillac
    8 years ago
    True but in 1992 we had a recession that we booted the first Bush out of the white house for... Then we had the delayed Y2K crash, 9/11, and the real estate crisis.... there will always be somebody crazy. The office I work out of mostly is on the first floor so If i jump I think I'll be ok, lol
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Juice, non of the information you can obtain gives you any predictive ability. Put your money into your own ventures, and into those set up by you and close associated. Don't listen to the Dougsters of this world. They all speak with forked tongues.

SJG
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    @ Dougster check out today's news WMT had a better quarter than AMZN w/ regard to their e-commerce business
  • jester214
    8 years ago
    If your asking for investment help on a strip club forum there are probably other things to consider first.
  • JimGassagain
    8 years ago
    Just do it! That's the best advice for when you have enough of your own experiences to draw upon then you'll be able to give your own advice, much cheaper than going to a broker for advice.

Do you know the definition of a broker? Answer: You leave their office broker than before you entered.

Most investment broker's advice costs more to utilize than leaving it alone in a diversified portfolio that you don't touch and let the markets do their things. Yet most people can't get in their heads that simple advice is all you need to know to get good growth through out the years. Just using simple dollar cost averaging on consistent basis is all most people need to know to outperform a money manager.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    Buy Popeyes stock. With the amounts of chacken fangers you consume, you'll recoup your investment quickly.
  • Daddillac
    8 years ago
    Jim, you are probably right with a couple exceptions.... I like to think about it like flying an airplane. Taking off and landing are the hardest parts and the most crucial... Like investing knowing how to get started and how finish (convert to income, minimize taxes, pass on to heirs....). So any idiot can fly a plane but taking off and landing generally require a professional
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Is saving $25,000 a year good ? Or am I living to tight ? It's 50% of my income...I'm living off the other half
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Dougster what's an index ?
  • Daddillac
    8 years ago
    I would give you advice but as Jim said you would only end up broker, so allow him to answer your questions.... then sue him if he is wrong
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    LMFAO
  • ime
    8 years ago
    Juice do you not pay taxes? or is it 50k after taxes? I don't think it would be too hard to live off 25k and have it be real tight , wouldn't be the most luxurious either.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    I've been actually considering getting another job just for my bills and saving and investing the good job I have to maximize my situation....just not sure if it's worth it in the gray scheme of things like death and such....fun must be had inbetween all this hard work and investing

Some hard work and investing is needed if I plan on being like jack lash and shadow as an older gentleman hitting the clubs damn near weekly
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    50K pre tax...$25K comes out pre tax as well 401K and a IRA plan

I'm used to living off of $10,000 or under...used to have foodstamps and all that shit

Doesn't feel that tight living off of $25K but I wonder if I can go tighter or if it's even worth it

I mean I enjoy playing poker and investing in stocks...but I do understand that I can't take any of this with me once I die so what I work for I need to enjoy

Learning how to balance saving for what future I have left as shaylnne points out lol might not be to much longer...and enjoying pleasure in life like these hoes lol
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    Some brokers are good some shouldn't be allowed to ply the trade most are in between, If a broker makes more money for you than you would have made yourself, without his advice , I would consider that money well spent.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Been looking into going back to school full-time if I don't do the part-time job

I really like this idea on the concept that the education would jump me up the corporate latter plus the tax benefits I would get for being a student witch is the main idea I'm actually shooting at ...
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Buy low, sell high.

Ok. Lol, easier said then done. I will post a more interesting link.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    This isn't what I was looking for but looks like one answer to your question.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/michael…

• Dougster
    8 years ago
    Hmmm.... I don't know about that. Pretty dramatic, certainly, but anything you can use (other than stocks like to smash through whole numbers, not just gently break them)?
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    They allowed crazy leverage with stocks back then. These days you still do that if you are into futures or forex.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    This was a link I saved the other day.
    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/21/12-books-…

I don't remember if it was something I read above or in a related link but I read millionaires think about how much time it took to save the money they are about to spend before they do so. If it took all day to save 80 bucks from your paycheck, maybe blowing it all in one hour on a meal out isn't worth it to you. You are trading a full day of work for that one meal. Reading is a great way to educate yourself.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    ^ i've heard the same parable as the 80 yo woodworker who still has all his fingers with no accidents. he appreciates what he has, managed his risk, and pulls back and stops as soon as his spidey sense tingles, signaling doom.

i read it in a finance book today.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    I found the link I was referring to earlier.
    http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/20/grant-mil…
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Bonus link. 5 financial questions to ask before getting married.
    http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/14/dont-get-…
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Futures sound cool..what is it ?
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    ^^^another way of shorting betting on the price going up or down in the future
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Id stay away from futures. I heard you can have unlimited risk. Best to only lose up to 100% of all your money invested, not a lot more potentially. If losing all your money you invest bothers you a lot, don't do it. Some people do go broke and wipe out their money.

Now for a link for parents discussing money with kids. Maybe one person reading this or some single mothers who are stripping.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/4-most-…

I'm not sure about not paying kids for good grades. I really liked the extra money and it seemed like an award to me for good work, not a bribe. I think I only got paid a dollar an a in high school so that might be like tipping a stripper a quarter.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    The bigger payout is making good grades in college because job offers are higher dollar value the better you did. Best to get a job using your brain instead of manual labor.
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Thank 25

Shark is manual labor like masturbation
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    LMFAO !!!
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    The Four Illusions of Money
    http://www.wholeearth.com/issue/2024/art…

SJG
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Futures are a kind of financial contract. One part will deliver something to the other in the future in exchange for some agreed upon amount of money now. It used to be tangible things like barrels of oil. So the contract would be, I'll give you this money now and in return you deliver me this much oil on settlement date. But now there are index futures so it's like I'll pay you this much now and you pay mean a multiple of the S&P closing price on settlement date.

There are provisions to close out or sell the contracts before settlement and that's what happens to most of them. There is no delivery. One time, however, I was long 2,000 barrels of oil, and forgot to close the contract before settlement. I had 2,000 barrels of oil show up at my door and it was a real bitch trying to get rid of them!
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    If you want a futures account you typically need to show a certain length of trading experience. Also you'll need a minimum account size and they'll also consider your income and assets in case of the dreaded margin call (it is possible to lose more than what's in your account).

Forex is somewhat similar to futures but you can probably get a forex account with less experience. Look at Oanda or forex.com if you are interested in that. (Maybe go long the USD/MXN for when Trump really does build that wall and slaps Mexico with a border tax to pay for it.)
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the explanation
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion