tuscl

This is about America

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
Let's all join in wishing the new POTUS well, even though he wasn't my choice for president, if Donald Trump doesn't succeed we are all in trouble. Let's see what happens next.

17 comments

• jackslash
    8 years ago
    At least I'm an old white male like Donald. Sorry about you losers who don't fit this category.
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    He's going to be a President for ALL Americans. Not for the illegals.....
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    I agree, I wish him well. We'll see what happens during his term and how he handles it.
  • flagooner
    8 years ago
    What is this? Someone actually started a mature political discussion.

The only way America can be great again is to bridge the chasm between the poles of the political spectrum.
  • Mate27
    8 years ago
    WWBLMD?

This anti-LE rhetoric is what I'm looking forward to get rid of. The most divisive tone that the current President let fester. Once this wound heals we shall move forward. Do the crime suffer the consequences.
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Trump will now face an America as divided as any president has ever faced. HRC would have faced the same. I truly voted for the person who I thought would do the least harm to the Republic over the next four years. This is the most polarizing election we have ever had.

That is no choice that that we should have to make. Where are the leaders that inspire what is best in us, who work to make life better for every American, not just for their own little circle? Both candidates suffered from this. Did you see how few voters thought that *either* candidate was qualified to run this nation? Both sides were voting against a person they thought would be worse.

I really do wish Trump the best. I hope that I was wrong. For better or for worse, he is my President for the next four years.

Good luck, my fellow Americans, and may God help us all to heal this nation.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Yep, congratulations to his followers for calling it right. (Hey, I called it right too and made some good money in the market over night.) Some of his policies are good and, hopefully, the bad ones were just talk.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    Just don't feel any sense of optimism. We elected an ignorant, narcissistic, bigot who has no patience for details and who doesn't have any sense of who he should listen to. We're left with the hope that a his own party will keep him in check.

Trump will probably rubber-stamp the Ryan plan for privatizing Social Security and turning Medicare into some sort of voucher system. Don't know the details or how it will be phased in -- but I wonder how the aging crowd on TUSCL will adjust. Might have to cut back on those blowjobs at your favorite club.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    ^^^I feel you Random but optimism is all we can have at this point, but by being wary, and keep a close watch, then becoming the loyal opposition if they try to drag us to extreme positions. I always remember that this country veers left and right but always returns to the center.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    http://www.democracynow.org/2016/11/9/ju…

So many votes still uncounted, like in California. Hillary's popular vote margin will be huge, probably bigger than Obama's 5Meg margin.

The electoral college is an antiquated system.

SJG
  • pensionking
    8 years ago
    Well said, @twentyfive. The most informed rational posting on TUSCL on this topic!

It is my theory that the nation is 30-40-30. 30% far left, 30% far right and 40% split in the middle. This is why the primaries give us fucked up options from which to choose. Then, in the general elections, the center 40% each year are faced with choosing the lesser of two evils -- a nearly 50-50 split over and over.
  • ButterMan
    8 years ago
    I didn't used to think much about it after this I'm becoming a fan of the popular vote option.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    It was actually Hillary Clinton who after the 2000 debacle called for elimination of the electoral college. It gives a huge advantage to rural voters.

If we went to popular vote, then the candidates would spend more time in cities. And instead of battleground states, they would go to places where they are unpopular, as that is where they would have the most to gain.

I mean think about it, 100 votes based on Senate count, totally independent of population. Then 435 based on population. So it is already skewed.

They say that in 1960, Kennedy v Nixon, first time with 50 states, that all 50 states were competitive. But since, due to Nixon's Southern Strategy, and the new Lee Atwater type coded racism and the use of religion, we have this Red State - Blue State situation where most people's votes, like mine, don't matter.

SJG
  • DoctorPhil
    8 years ago
    who the fuck is this "THEY' you're always quoting?

they say, they say, they say

AND TAKE YOUR MEDS IDIOT
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago

Something to think about Trump got over a million votes less than Mitt Romney or John McCain did, in the two previous presidential election cycles, and it is starting to appear that Hillary got more of the popular vote he did. Mr. Trump needs to be careful not to overplay his hand, as his mandate is not exactly overwhelming. In order for him to be successful he will need to become much more inclusive and avoid the divisiveness that he used so effectively to get elected.
    Still I hope he succeeds. I mean that sincerely.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Democrats are almost certain to always win California and New York thus good chance for them to win the popular vote or be close to it often
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    Although I prefer seeing Trump win over Clinton i have some concerns about him. I do wish him well though and hope that he really can improve things. He won so he deserves the chance.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion