tuscl

Polling locations

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Where is your poll located. Mine is in a Baptist church. I find that strange when we are supposed to have a separation of church and state.

21 comments

• RTP
    8 years ago
    Mine is also in a church, this one being Church of Christ. I noticed one today while I was driving that was in an assisted living facility.
  • etsutwigg222
    8 years ago
    WOW!!!!! Mine is at BSC here in PHX. Got some of the best pole workers in the area!!!! OOPS, my bad......you meant polls. NEVER MIND!!!!! Too much blood to the little head right now.
  • skibum609
    8 years ago
    Ours is in a school. In 2012 our precinct had a 96% turnout - bet t his year is lower.
  • chessmaster
    8 years ago
    I voted early at a retirement home.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Yes, they do that where I am too, polling places in churches. Not supposed to be any sort of campaigning or proselyting near it.

I think the churches just want some extra money. Many are close to the edge. And then it is better to have lots of polling places.

SJG
  • eyeamlong
    8 years ago
    I did my early voting at a DeKalb County , Senior Citizen, Community Center. 10/17/16. At that point I stop watching all the predictions.....
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    The best ones have girls spinning on them
  • mrrock
    8 years ago
    Mine is at a grade school.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Elementary school. One year it was at a Catholic Church but every other time has been a grade school (for me).
  • large
    8 years ago
    The Constitution does not actually use the words separation of church and state. Its just a short hand way of describing what the constitution does say which is that the government can't establish a religion or prohibit the free exercise of one's religion. So putting a polling place in a church is just a convenience for the government and maybe a benefit for the church. Its not establishing the church as the official religion of the government.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Nearby Salvation Army
  • zef8mich
    8 years ago
    Mines also in a Baptist church. Used to be in a grade school. Maybe just convenience since it's close to the grade school.
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    I looked up stations in San Diego....one is at a mortuary
  • JohnSmith69
    8 years ago
    I voted at a church. No lines so I was happy. Plus a couple of old, female, Hillary supporters outside to ridicule so that was an added bonus.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    We threw stones at Trump's deplorables at our school. :)
  • mjx01
    8 years ago
    Mine is in a retirement home. The church I frequent is a poling place for a different district.
  • gawker
    8 years ago
    I read about a city which planned a polling place at a local mosque. After many complaints they moved it.
  • MrDeuce
    8 years ago
    Get over it, sc. "Separation of church and state" isn't in the Constitution. large points out correctly that the only prohibitions are on establishment of *a* religion and infringing on freedom of worship.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    But that also means a prohibition on laws endorsing religion. That there is to be separation of church and state is just a logical result of the establishment clause, and it is accepted as a tradition and as a legal obligation.

These are actually complex issues, as it has been that religious groups have been getting way with, quite literally, rape and murder.

Marci Hamilton is the current reigning expert on such issues:
    https://www.amazon.com/God-vs-Gavel-Extr…

SJG
  • PRBOY56
    8 years ago
    I would be scared of going to vote n a church after all the clubbing and other activities as of late, lightning, brimstone, etc....
  • Jascoi
    8 years ago
    prboy. i thank God for His imagination and creative abilities... and the visual and sensual women. i have no problem voting anywhere.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion