tuscl

OT: hmm - interesting

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Elon Musk all but confirmed that Tesla is looking at creating a car-sharing network using its Autopilot technology.

When Tesla announced it would begin outfitting all of its cars with the hardware needed for fully autonomous driving, it also said it would not permit autonomous cars to be used for ride-sharing services such as Uber or Lyft.

This led to speculation that Tesla is still planning to go forward with its own ride-sharing network, recently hinted at in Tesla CEO Elon Musk's "Master Plan, Part Deux."

This is what the Plan said:

When true self-driving is approved by regulators, it will mean that you will be able to summon your Tesla from pretty much anywhere. Once it picks you up, you will be able to sleep, read or do anything else enroute to your destination.

You will also be able to add your car to the Tesla shared fleet just by tapping a button on the Tesla phone app and have it generate income for you while you're at work or on vacation, significantly offsetting and at times potentially exceeding the monthly loan or lease cost. This dramatically lowers the true cost of ownership to the point where almost anyone could own a Tesla. Since most cars are only in use by their owner for 5% to 10% of the day, the fundamental economic utility of a true self-driving car is likely to be several times that of a car which is not.

In cities where demand exceeds the supply of customer-owned cars, Tesla will operate its own fleet, ensuring you can always hail a ride from us no matter where you are.

On a conference call with Tesla executives Wednesday, one analyst asked if a so-called Tesla Network would be meant to help owners recoup the cost of a Tesla, or primarily a way for the company to make more money.

"I think it is a bit of both, really," Musk responded. "It would be something that would be a significant offset on the cost of ownership for a car, and a revenue generator for Tesla as well. Obviously, the majority of the economics would go to the owner of the car."

"Sometimes this has been characterized as Tesla versus Uber or Lyft or something like that," he said. "It's not Tesla versus Uber, it's the people versus Uber."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/26/elon-musk…

33 comments

• stripfighter
    8 years ago
    "do anything else enroute to your destination."

posting form tuscl the first thing I think is masturbate and fuck.

But if does happen it may be more convenient to not even have a car. Likewise space can be freed up with no longer needing parking garages. (Yay more space for SCs :)
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I'm kinda a bit scared shitless about that self-driving technology though
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    I want a 59 Cadillac that drives itself
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    I talked with one of their engineers recently, He says they have a long way to go. I won't ride in or buy one.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    I want all the bugs worked out before trusting the self driving tech too much. It was only a few months ago someone got killed depending upon Tesla self driving tech. The tech didn't detect a white truck in bright light.

What other things did engineers forget to program? The bridge out? A small section of dark road washed out? Flood waters right next to the road or bridge making it not safe to drive on? Flood waters about to wash over the road? Deer running towards the run in front of you? A big black panther running towards the run in front of you? A cow standing in the road that is hard to see? Rocks falling down a cliff that the car did not see or detect because no radar beams pointed up?

How does the car react if someone tries to ram you playing chicken or some crazy driver is having road rage and is angry at you for no good reason?

I have lots of questions and not much trust in new untested tech when my life is at risk.

However I would love to not worry about driving home late at night and falling asleep or watching out for deer or some other animal. I would also like it if I wasn't concerned about some vandal in the parking lot because I wouldn't own the car. Someone parks too close and dings the car with their car door, scratches it with car keys walking by or on purpose.
  • ThereAndBackAgain
    8 years ago
    Yeah. It's a long way to go. Atleast 10 years (some may not say 10 years is a long time). Uber itself is working on a auto drive feature. The head of Google's self driving feature quit and started. a venture that Uber bought in parternership . So you have atleast 3 major players Google , Uber and now Tesla out in the open. Apple is also rumored to secretly working on it. Trust me it's not that far ...
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    Stupid Apple iPad changed road to run.
  • Jascoi
    8 years ago
    i'm ready for a self driving car. *hic* home james! *hic*
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    I would also like it if I could go visit clubs and drink as much as I want and let the car drive me home while I slept.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    I'm not sure if I'm ready for glass solar powered roads and parking lots. They could supply 3 times the current energy needs in the US I read including charging battery operated Teslas.

Just something I read the other day. Half inch thick glass could really cut tires and people if an accident broke it up. Their power assumptions didn't seem to factor in shade from lots of cars, trees, leaves and dirt. The idea that the road and parking lot could stay free of snow and ice seemed nice and a money saver but I wondered down to what temperature? Just some more new tech. I'm not too eager to pay someone to dig up my concrete driveway to replace it with a solar one just yet. Also who would pay for solar roads? How would people pay to charge up from public solar roads? Would they use wireless power transfers? That could end the whole distance on a charge fear and the wait to recharge.
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    If you think I'm crazy, here's more info.

A link. http://www.solarroadways.com/

• WetWilly
    8 years ago
    Most of the major layers are testing these cars in near perfect driving conditions in.....Silicon Valley.

I know an engineer in the middle of this industry, and his response is simply " the technology is not here yet ". Rain, snow, lighting, inclement weather, all these directly control the guidance and communication systems. Just putting cameras and sensors on the car doesn't address the core communication issues.

Why are they not testing this stuff in Minnesota winters? Florida rainstorms? When they are truly close to having it work, we'll be seeing the testing being done in hostile driving conditions. Until then....it ain't ready.
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    If they can perfect this in TJ,Mexico, then it's a go
  • jester214
    8 years ago
    Outside of a controlled setting I'm not ready to ride in a self-driving car but I am amazed by how far they've come with the tech in a fairly short period of time. I think it's the future.
  • jackslash
    8 years ago
    When I was a kid I read a lot of science fiction, and I especially enjoyed Robert Heinlein. With Tesla and the hyperloop and SpaceX, Elon Musk seems like a Heinlein character come to life.
  • sclvr5005
    8 years ago
    @mikeya02- or a 1958 Red Plymouth Fury
  • knobsnbobs
    8 years ago
    I don't think these self driving cars are prepared to drive in Mexico lol. If you've ever been in traffic or on a street driving, it's fucking anarchy as it is in most central/South American countries. Everyone is constantly and INCH away from a bad Accident.
  • mrrock
    8 years ago
    I can't WAIT til they get self driving cars perfected. I would NOT want to share my car though. You'd have a TON of miles on it and what about like people fucking in your car? Or the drunk who throws up in it? No thanks.
  • mark94
    8 years ago
    Elon Musk has never made a statement that he didn't later have to delay or take back. Huckster would be a kind way of describing him.
    As far as true self driving cars, it will be decades before they are available, and then only after every road in the country is modified to accommodate them. it's easy to design a car with lane warnings and emergency braking, but true universal self driving is very, very difficult to code.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    I think the statement comes from legal counsel . . . First, I am sure Mr. Musk may have his own, possibly competiting, service in mind. Second, if people buy these autonomous cars with the idea of setting them out on roads 24x7x365 to earn money in a commercial (for-profit) setting by the *owner* and not by *Tesla*, and there are accidents involving the autonomous cars, I am sure it will be a legal free-for-all and lawyers and plaintiffs looking for a *pay day* and that involves *deep pockets* which would implicate Tesla in lawsuits, no??!?

Tesla by doing this, washes their hands, legally from implication . . . perhaps. --> Maybe a lawyer could comment?
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Ride sharing networks, electric cars, fine. But I am not excited about driverless cars.

SJG
  • mark94
    8 years ago
    The reason Ford raised pay was because working on an assembly line was so mind numbing that workers lasted an average of 3 months on the job before quitting. When he doubled pay, worker turnover dropped dramatically.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Awesome stuff! Buy! Buy! Buy! Buy!
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    It's all about AI from herein folks...
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    There's been accidents w/ the Tesla autopilot yet there are some morons that seem to put blind faith in the technology and will be reading the paper while the autopilot is on or even sit in the passenger side and vacate the driver seat - SMH.
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    Not yet sure technology is for the good of the masses

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    We'll we have AI TUSCL reviews in the near-future - hmm?

(if so they'll probably be better than 90% of current reviews LOL)
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    At some point. Maybe 7 to 10y they'll probably declare that it's too dangerous for humans to be driving cars and then it will be all autonomous.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    I thought Apple announced they were getting out of the business of making their own car.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I can sorta see autonomous cars but requiring human super-vision - sorta like cruise-control where one just lets the car go but will apply the breaks when needed - and then w/ time maybe full-autonomous w/ no driver interaction needed.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    Che, I agree with the Henry Ford comment. The pay raise was self-intentioned on Mr. Ford's part. By paying more he increased reliability and lowered defect rates in the finished product (for various psychological and retention reasons).

I did find the article worthwhile. I think part of the problem with today's economy and workforce is we rank and file (I am one) don't assume enough risk. We're too complacent. That's an over simplification, but it helps explain why the productivity gains are funnel into fewer hands. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Fordism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordism

Ford substantially increased its workers' wages,[8] in order to combat rampant absenteeism and employee turnover which approached 400 percent annually, which had the byproduct of giving them the means to become customers.

In the glory days of Silicon Valley, plentiful manufacturing employment and housing still affordable, we had something like a Fordism, and non-union because workers were already doing well.

Aggressive people, a few community college classes, and always being able to command more and more pay.

Nothing whatsoever like that today.

Today, BS and MS grads, signing on to be corporate minions, taking what pay they can get. Though numerically large by most accounts, not enough to compensate for the insane housing costs. And culturally a pretty bleak environment.

SJG

Mark Knopfler - Brothers in arms [Berlin 2007]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBadAVsd…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion