tuscl

Prostitution in France

anthonyu
Phoenix, AZ
Monday, June 6, 2016 11:48 AM
Prostitution in France is recorded as a substantial and state regulated activity beginning in Roman times and continuing into the 21st century - a good 2,000 years of recorded business acteivity. Brothels were many and varied, some quite famous, and this continued through both World Wars. Kings, politicians, Toulouse-Lautrec, soldiers of all stripes and nationalities, and many, many others were publicly known to frequent these establishments. But in 1946 brothels were outlawed, and, since then, the French have become much more restrictive about prostitution. France became increasingly assertive internationally as a champion of abolitionism, opposing moves towards liberalization and regulation by the Netherlands and the International Labour Organization Their domestic laws have become increasingly abolitionist and, perhaps, effective. On April 6, 2016, the French National Assembly voted to fine customers of prostitutes €1500. This would make me think multiple times about having fun with a French prostitute. Why is this happening? And what are the practical effects? Anyone have any experiences with this? Or just brilliant thoughts and insight?

13 comments

• shailynn
    8 years ago
    Talking out of my ass, but remember the movie "taken"? Is something like that a real problem over there? If so then laws like this may make a little more sense.
  • Tiredtraveler
    8 years ago
    @Shailynn: If you are a tourist, female, young, pretty and blonde never go off by yourself in Europe: You may wake up in a harem or brothel. It is not one world. In much of the world women are considered property at worst livestock at best!
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I don't making prostitution illegal will fix the problem anymore than prohibition fixed issues w/ alcohol - if anything it probably created more. Men will always have a desire to have sex and have lovers and where there is a demand there will be those willing to supply it. I was under the impression that prostitution was not illegal in France as long as there was no pimping going-on - perhaps it changed recently.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    In France prostitution is high culture. SJG
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    I visited an old French prostitute last night? What was her name? Toulouse
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I like french fries
  • dallas702
    8 years ago
    I'd just say, "fuck the French," but then I'd get arrested!
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    I miss Pepe La Pew
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    ^^^or maybe it was Irma la Deuce
  • jester214
    8 years ago
    I don't think we can take "Taken" seriously but my understanding is that much of French prostitution is tied in with organized crime.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    Pepe La Pew was a playa
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Wait! Isn't San_Jose_Gay who's supposed to miss Pepy LePew???
  • JuiceBox69
    8 years ago
    Pepe la pew is a rapist
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion