tuscl

What the hell is gluten?

crazyjoe
Colorado
£_^*&÷₩£'

18 comments

• mikeya02
    8 years ago
    Man has been eating bread for 30,000 years and all of sudden everyone is gluten intolerant
  • jackslash
    8 years ago
    Damned if I know.
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I think it's something women take to make their gluts bigger
  • beguiled
    8 years ago
    bacterial vaginosis
  • beguiled
    8 years ago
    No, wait... yeast infection.... For the win.
  • beguiled
    8 years ago
    LOL, did i just say that?
  • beguiled
    8 years ago
    Help me JS69, I'm too high.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    Gluten is the tasty stuff on the outside of Chackin Fangers
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Gluten, both from wheat and corn in my case, can cause a wide spectrum of symptoms from relatively mild intolerance (like mine) to full blown celiac disease.

My particular symptoms included swelling of my legs below the knee, especially my right leg, weight gain (I lost 20 pounds very quickly after I stopped eating wheat and corn products), and increased blood pressure. I was able to cut my meds nearly in half. It progressed and started to manifest in me after I was fifty. My brother also has it, more severely than me; having a sibling with it gives you a one in three chance of having it. Looking back, it's pretty clear that my Dad had it, too.

It has been a tough row to hoe, at least at first. No more of some of my favorite beers. No standard pasta. Gluten free bread that costs $10 for a loaf that would be normally be $3. No breaded fish. No veal parmagiana, no tortillas (wheat or corn), no canned tomato soup (Yep, check the Campbells label) and lots of breakfast cereals. It goes on and on. I now read every label thoroughly before buying anything. Is that a pain? You bet! However, I don't complain because my life and health are much better now than they were only two years ago.

Some surprising things: distilled liquors like whiskey, bourbon, and vodka are all OK, as are corn sweeteners.

Understand that not all doctors fully understand gluten intolerance. When i first questioned him on my symptoms, he told me, "Ive seen celiac disease, and you dont have it." He was partially correct; it wasn't celiac but I did have gluten intolerance. My best advice? If you have any symptoms that a doctor can't explain, try cutting wheat, and then corn as well from your diet if just cutting out wheat doesn't fully fix the problem. Things are better now than they were only two years ago. There are a lot more gluten free products starting to show up on grocery shelves.
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    BTW, be very careful in Chinese, Korean or Japanese restaurants. Even if you get a dish made with rice or rice noodles, the soy sauce used in those cuisines is generally over half fermented wheat! Pure soy soy sauce is available in most groceries, as is gluten free Worcestershire sauce.
  • motorhead
    8 years ago

ATACdawg,

A strip club for you

http://m.imgur.com/3BjezPG
  • Cashman1234
    8 years ago
    ATACDawg - thanks for that information. I've heard similar changes from a friend of mine. It is impressive how elimination of gluten can produce such positive life changes.
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Lol, moto! However, unless I can be sure the dancers aren't eating wheat or corn products themselves, they really can't be gluten free, at least if I'm DATYing them. ;-)

Even French fries done in a common fryer that is used for other things like onion rings, fried fish or chicken, etc can be damaging to people with a really extreme case. Luckily, I can tolerate small amounts.
  • crazyjoe
    8 years ago
    ^^^ that is some great info ATACdawg
  • Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I personally recommend reducing the gluten intake and increasing the stripper intake for optimal health.
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
  • mrrock
    8 years ago
    Gluten...get in my belly!!!
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    8 years ago
    And I remember in my day that kids were eating paste in First grade Art class.....
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion