tuscl

So weed is legal in Colorado......

If you test positive for weed on a work drug test, does anything happen? You can just smoke on the weekend and still test positive. That doesn't mean you're high at work though. Just curious

10 comments

• georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    Company policy doesn't have to be as permissive as the law. If they want to forbid their employees from smoking weed, they are entitled to do so. It might not work very well, but they're free to try.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    I suspect that Colorado is an employment at will state. That means you can be fired for any reason as long as it's not specifically prohibited like age, sex, or race. Weed smokers, sadly, are not yet considered to be a protected class.
  • mjx01
    9 years ago
    I'm pretty sure if you are a federal employee or federal contractor, a positive test is grounds for dismissal regardless of CO law.
  • mjx01
    9 years ago
    I'm also pretty sure any company can make it a clause in your employment contract that you agree to when you accept the job offer.
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    I believe this is one of the hurdles to more widespread legalization. Not work issues but the fact that you can't readily determine when someone got high.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    In Colorado you can still be fired for trsting positive for weed. Weed is legal but firing you for testing hot at the discretion of your employer
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    @mjx01- I think you're right about that. In the aftermath of my employers announcing the future closure of my facility, someone at work asked about transferring to Aurora, CO and yeah, they told him a positive marijuana test is grounds for dismissal. I suspect that was the only real reason he considered Aurora, CO in the first place.
  • rh48hr
    9 years ago
    Any business can determine what they will allow within the confines of the law that is not discriminatory. No visible tattoos, not allowing facial hair, drug policies, etc.
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    On my job I was subjected to random drug and alcohol testing and I was tested a dozen times over 20+ years. Drugs also included legal prescription drugs. If you needed to take them, you had to call in sick until you can stop taking them. A note from your doctor would be necessary before you could return to work. The union rep told me that they didn't check for marijuana but I never wanted to test that.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    This has been addressed in the context of sports.

The NFL tests for marijuana but yet weed is legal in Colorado. Can players for the Denver Broncos smoke weed?

No. They can still get suspended
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion