tuscl

Stereotypes...

When I was younger I played basketball a lot. One time I was matched against a pretty good black player. He was taller than me. Thing was, I was better. I could dunk, he couldn't .I was a better shooter, At first he got super pissed, but we became friends.

So I asked him over to hang out. He saw my chess set and said let's play. I said sure, let's see what you got. He beat me 8 games in a row, talking shit the whole time. It was kinda irritating. I asked how are you so good? He said he was on the chess club in high school. ????????????? His school was totally ghetto and thug. I was surprised.

37 comments

• larryfisherman
    9 years ago
    I'm not sure if this counts as stereotype, but if someone looked at me they would probably think he's a guy not to mess with, but in reality I'm kinda the opposite. Hell Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift are two of my favorite artists!
  • RandomMember
    9 years ago
    Asian dude I knew in college lettered in track and was pole vault expert.

..and he couldn't do math worth shit.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    mikeya02: I've seen a lot of black chess players both at the tables at Oak Street Beach in Chicago a well as Columbus Circle in NY. And they can all beat me every time....not that I'm any good, but I can play.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Used to be the stereotype that girls play shitty lead guitar and growing up they mostly did, but these days there's quite a few "world class" female guitarists. Not as many as men of course, but they're out there.
  • lopaw
    9 years ago
    I've dealt with ridiculous stereotypes for one thing or another my whole life. I take great satisfaction blowing them all out of the water while educating those who should know better.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    "... He beat me 8 games in a row, talking shit the whole time ..."

I guess some stereotypes do apply

:)
  • Cashman1234
    9 years ago
    I'm a skinny assed white guy - who could never dunk - but I always had a sweet outside jump shot. I can't dance for shit - and wouldn't know rhythm if I had it! Stereotypical? Ok - maybe...
  • NinaBambina
    9 years ago
    White men tend to be good shooters in basketball.
  • chessmaster
    9 years ago
    Cashman sterotypical white baller.
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    You let someone from Spring Valley beat you in chess? How retarded are you...actually you answered that by being a CA republican
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    No, he was from Lincoln High. Supposedly great ballers come from there. lol
  • Cashman1234
    9 years ago
    @chessmaster - exactly! When the game changed - and guys stopped posting up - it ruined any chance of me putting up points in the paint. Where's the love for the sky hook?
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Remember when Isiah Thomas said Larry Bird “would be just another good guy” if he were black.

Lol
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    "Where's the love for the sky hook?"

This week ESPN replayed the 1966 NCAA championship game between Texas Western and Kentucky. That was pretty cool seeing a game from 50 years ago. They actually used the sky hook a few time.

I don't think I've seen the sky hook since Kareem, and later Rik Smits, were so effective with it.
  • Cashman1234
    9 years ago
    I saw that too - on ESPN. It was a different game back then.

It was difficult to defend - especially with Kareem's height advantage. I almost forgot about Rik Smits.

Isaiah Thomas was wrong? Oh yeah - his ideas almost destroyed the Knicks from the front office.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    If Bird was black, Isiah would have kissed him
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I grew up a Pacers fan. I still am.

I thought Rik Smits could have been the best center in the game if he could have stayed healthy. He had too many foot problems so he could only play about 1/3 of the game. But I thought he was better than Shaq when was healthy.
  • larryfisherman
    9 years ago
    Larry Bird would destroy Isiah Thomas on the court.
  • larryfisherman
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't go that far Motorhead, you're a little biased. Rik was no match for Shaq.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I grew-up a 76ers fan and hated Larry Bird with a passion – but after he retired I grew to like/respect the way he played.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I liked Isiah Thomas’ game a lot – supa-impressive how he could dominate at his size.
  • Cashman1234
    9 years ago
    I grew up a Knicks fan - and I could appreciate the talent in Boston - during the Bird years. I also appreciated the talent throughout the league - and Smits was an excellent center - with lots of potential and talent - that got stymied by injuries.

I also loved Dr J - Mo Cheeks - and many on the other 76'rs of the old days.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    You can add Bill Walton to the *if he only had been healthy* list. Guy was great
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Larry,

Maybe I was joking a little, but in the 2000 Finals when the Pacers played the Lakers, for the first 5 minutes of each game i thought Smits was better.

Unfortunately, NBA games are longer than 5 minutes. Lol
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    Off the top of my head; the only whiteguy I’ve seen that can dominate a game was Bird.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    ^ w/ the caveat I did not start watching the NBA till about 1982
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Well, there was Jerry West and Pete Maravich. Don't forget Dirk Nowitzki
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    ^of the 3-above I've only seen Nowitzki play and yeah he was pretty-dominant - and now that I think about-it Steve Nash was also pretty-dominant (in that they both affected the game to a large degree).
  • Cashman1234
    9 years ago
    I think Nowitzki is about the most dominant white player of recent times. I was thinking about other white players - but some have standout performances from time to time - but they aren't dominant.

That Celtics team - with Bird - Ainge - and even McHale - wasn't bad in terms of good white dudes.

Bill Walton was very impressive at UCLA - but then his body seemed to fail. Sadly, his mouth never stopped running.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I’ve heard Juice has a serious inside game – he’s been referred to as the white Moses Malone
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    Hey Motorhead another white guy that dominated as a matter of fact, nobody wanted to contest the net with was Dave Debusschiere they used to say he sharpened his elbows with a file.
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

Papi, Juice was the original White Shadow. lol.
  • Estafador
    9 years ago
    @rockstar666 I was one of those black chess players at Colombus Circle when I was in high school. U mad bro? ^_^
  • rh48hr
    9 years ago
    I play chess, I also play tennis at a high level and love hockey. But I also love R&B and rap music. I don't think anyone fits into any stereotype except the ones people who don't know them put them into.
  • Secretariat
    9 years ago
    Larry Bird was one of the biggest shit-talkers in the history of the game, a supposedly "black" trait. He messed with peoples' head as much as Jordan did.

I don't know why, but I also think its cool when I see a black guy wearing a white player's jersey. Just seems totally racially unbiased to me, like he likes that player simply because he's a good player.
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    Lol you guys

On the phone I sound like a black guy lol
  • skibum609
    9 years ago
    If you have ever been to Washington Square Park and watched the chess games a black chess player kicking someone's ass would seem totally normal. Talk about stereotypes, people always freak out when they find out that skier who just jumped of the 40 foot cliff is almost 60.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion