tuscl

Discussion Thread vs. Article

flagooner
Everything written by this member is a fact.
I've been planning to write of an experience that happened years ago when I get the inspiration and time to actually document it.

Is there a set of criteria that calls out when a discussion thread should be initiated vs. an Article?

Thanks,

26 comments

• bvino
    9 years ago
    An article should have appoint of view or explain something. It should also be a two to ten paragraph essay rather than a one paragraph review or comment. Obviously some people (SJG) write articles even they are answering yes or no questions. Length is the main differential (as it always is).
  • flagooner
    9 years ago
    Thanks
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    An article should be fairly long and explain or describe something. However, a few years ago I submitted a couple articles, and Founder moved them to discussions. I don't know why. He must have some additional criteria.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    Why don't you PM founder and ask for his criteria
  • flagooner
    9 years ago
    How do I send a PM to him? What is his user name?
  • flagooner
    9 years ago
    Forget that last post. I just sent a PM to him.
  • flagooner
    9 years ago
    Y'all were pretty much on the mark. This is what I received from the founder:

"Articles are usually longer in scope, and they describe something.  A
    discussion post can be anything, questions, comment, quick
    observation.  I have seen a few discussion threads that probably
    should have been submitted as articles, but for some reason the author
    chose not to."
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Read a few articles and you'll see the contrast to discussion topics. I told of my recent brain tumor in an article because I wrote it more as a piece of performance art than an actual topic to discuss.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    I post everything in discussions, and I gave up on writing articles a while ago. It can take so long to post an article that I forget about it by the time it appears. Plus I think more people read the discussions. I also prefer the back and forth in discussions which is rare in articles.
  • pensionking
    9 years ago
    I think that is it. If the author wishes for a back and forth conversation -- soliciting points of view, or has a brief observation, then the post belongs in Discussions.

If the author wishes to present a series of facts or opinions -- in other words, tell a story that will require more than a few paragraphs, then Articles is probably a better location.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    I wish Founder would let Articles bump the way discussions do. In my view, right now Articles are getting the short shrift.

SJG

Cameron Carpenter: Rachmaninoff's Paganini Rhapsody for Organ & Orchestra
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F79Bgeqy…
    This guy and his M and O modernized organ are out of this world!
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    Size matters (or so I’m often told) – thus as others have mentioned if the topic is one that requires a longer more detailed description then perhaps it should be an article.

Also - an article can stay up near the top of the list for a decent amount of time (couple of weeks) whereas a discussion thread can often get pushed down the list within a couple of days and shortly be out of sight and out of mind (i.e. discussions may have less PL staying power).
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    This analogy probably sucks but...

An article is like a Las Vegas Show Club. Expensive (long). Glitzy and glamorous. A more serious tone. And less fun. Little interaction

A discussion topic is like a dive bar. Cheap (short). Probably more fun. Not stuffy. Lots of customer interaction. That is, you don't just look - but make a connection
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Motor: I only take issue with "less fun" for articles. Many of them are really interesting and entertaining, while too many threads in discussions are about sexual orientation of less respected TUSCL member or 20 posts of identical content. Although with Dougster gone and Juice seemingly more in control, we've seen less of that. In the Article section there's some good shit.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    I find it funny when SJG"s replies are longer than the article
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    @rockstar

Honestly, I forget to look at the articles. Maybe I need to look more often.

I can remember two memorable threads that I believe were articles. Probably over 100 replies which is rare for an article. One was from a college girl claiming to be writing an paper on strip clubs.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    If you show him your tits perhaps he’ll be less apt to flagging you – just sayin”

:)
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    ^ damn - wrong thread
  • flagooner
    9 years ago
    NOBODY wants to see my man boobs
  • Estafador
    9 years ago
    I think the main reason why people who write article like discussions is because they are interested in feedback. The way that the articles section is set up is not as intruiging as the discussion section. If you have a particularly good article, it doesn't get bumped to t he top every time someone posts a reply to. And you can't sort it in any way other than it's predesignated sorting. Plus, not many people go on Articles section when the discussion section is more than likely more intruiging and not just because of the topic but because of the responses. THEN there's the simple fact that nobody wants to read big long ass stories all the time. We already have to deal with SJG.

Every time I see some potentially good reply, I wonder why it's so long and drawling only to realize I was reading something by SJG.
  • Estafador
    9 years ago
    @motorhead I second rockstar's comment. Papi's articles can be particularly entertaining. Classic example is his bareback episode. A laugh out loud riot with lots of steam.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    LOL ^^^^^ Agree on all, including how articles should be bumped when replied to.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    For an article, you need to quote sources, have references, get approval from Founder plus two or 3 experienced members, then allow the sjg guy to proofread it,then after getting all the approval requests back ok, submit a final copy for approval.

Just kidding.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    " I think the main reason why people who write article like discussions is because they are interested in feedback. The way that the articles section is set up is not as intruiging as the discussion section. If you have a particularly good article, it doesn't get bumped to t he top every time someone posts a reply to. "

Yes, it would be better if Articles bumped the same way that Discussion do.

SJG
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    ^^^^ Have you ever thought that a small amount of people go there? What's the point of bumping if the thread is right there anyway" Ain't that many articles
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    There are enough Articles posted that they get pushed off the first page long before interest necessarily dies. Also, someone might add a comment far out in the future. Good then to see the Article bump back to the top.

SJG

1812 Overture, Op. 49 - Sir Georg Solti/Chicago Symphony Orchestra
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfKoxB9E…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion