tuscl

It sucks to lose power.

Could be worse. Could have been late at night when I didn't notice it.
Tree probably blew over somewhere. Been blowing like a hurricane out there.

15 comments

• san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Need to have a couple of battery powered alarm clocks.

SJG
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    Aww crap, got worse, stupid smoke detector chirping now.

I'm thinking less than an hour for someone to fix. I'm on the same grid as a major highway and several businesses. I have a tiny house but it has 4 hard wired some detectors.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    Birds wake me up this time of year already early unless an owl or hawk is nearby. A few people might be wondering why I'm showing up early at work. Ok I'm going to get out of bed to fix my stupid detector. Not falling asleep early tonight.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    no power yet, found a battery for the detector, set my watch alarm, it's just too quiet now, can't sleep. That may be a bad sign if you can tell when your smoke detector battery is getting weak because it beeps when the power goes off.

oh it just popped on. about an hour
  • dtek
    9 years ago
    I would (and have) pop my smoke detectors out and unplug them until the power comes back on if they beep when the power goes off. I figure eliminating the irritation from the beeps is worth the small chance that there'll be a fire while there's no smoke detection. I also make sure to change the battery the next day.

What I wouldn't want to do without is CO2 detectors. If necessary, I'd pull batteries from the smoke detectors to make sure I have CO2 detection when the power comes back on and the furnace comes back on.
  • vincemichaels
    9 years ago
    Sheeesh. Ya lose power, think of what it would be like to be a caveman. No refrigerator, no car, no microwave. Damn, life is so tough !!! LMAO
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    "Sheeesh. Ya lose power, think of what it would be like to be a caveman. No refrigerator, no car, no microwave. Damn, life is so tough !!! LMAO"

True! Life was non-brilliant for cave men! If I understand correctly they only had flip phones back then! So you wouldn't be able to post on TUSCL when the power in your cave goes out! ;)
  • ATACdawg
    9 years ago
    "Sheeesh. Ya lose power, think of what it would be like to be a caveman. No refrigerator, no car, no microwave. Damn, life is so tough !!! LMAO"

All that is true. However, strip clubbing was much more convenient. All you had to do when a woman took your fancy was to bonk her with your club, put her over your shoulder and carry her home! If her shiftless, lazy-ass boyfriend objected, you could brain him, too! Easy peasy! :-D
  • vincemichaels
    9 years ago
    Yep, yep, yep. The good ole days !!
  • Cashman1234
    9 years ago
    Sometimes I long for those days - and those simple times!
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    9 years ago
    Wish I had a generator here, but got through the last 3 hour outage okay 2 weeks ago.

Have: Gas Fireplace
    Multiple Flashlights
    Charged battery cell phone charger for smart phone
    Battery operated Police/Marine VHF scanner
    Outdoor propane stove
    Extra blankets
    First Aid Kit / Candles

This is a good time to think about checking whats around the house and making yourself ready
    for the inevitable. Other suggestions for emergency management are welcome as well.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    :)

SJG
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I probably would have slept through the power outage if not for the beeping smoke detector that went off, plus it was only 10 pm.

I have gas logs, gas hot water heater, oil and kerosene lamps, flashlights, assorted batteries even though I misplaced some. I Also have a charcoal cooking pan if I really need to cook with no power. I prepped a little in case the whole city loses power due to a massive ice storm and everything is shut down and you can't drive. Plus I have slip on shoe covers with spikes that allow me to safely walk on ice.

When I was younger, I thought wouldn't life be simpler if you could just grab a girl cave man style and take her home?
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    Greenville was hit by a massive ice storm several years ago. Trees were down all over the place. Power was off in whole small cities for weeks. I thought power had been restored to major areas like shopping centers and traffic lights two weeks later when I drove to strip clubs in Greenville. To my surprise, entire intersections and shopping centers were pitch dark just south of town 2 weeks later. It's an eerie feeling driving through major intersections and not realizing it until you're already there. No trees were in the road so that was good.
  • Timex345
    9 years ago
    Obviously a Liberal must be in charge.
    Personally, I am enjoying my white privilege.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion