tuscl

We are all getting self driving cars

crazyjoe
Colorado

17 comments

• Dominic77
    9 years ago
    I'm still upset I don't have my jet pack ... And my self-aware robot.
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    Self-driving cars, like the Google cars, appear to be much safer than the cars driven by humans. These cars could reduce traffic fatalities (around 20,000 a year) and the countless injuries and property damage. Self-driving cars may seem strange to us, but they are the wave of the future.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    ^^^^ love love love it.

I have two cars with big engines and lots of horsepower, I do enjoy driving them.

BUT think of what you could do if you had a self driving car.
    1. Now I wouldn't have to lower my phone when I'm txting while driving and a police car comes in my radius.
    2. I could sleep while driving
    3. I go out and get drunk and still drive home
    4. Long road trips would be much more manageable because I could be doing other things (masturbating, sleeping, reading, playing video games, getting drunk, facetiming with crazyjoe) all while driving
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    I would be getting high watching movies
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    We waste a lot of time driving that can be reallocated.

No more DUI's either....shit !!!! What the hell are the cops going to do for money then?

• GACA
    9 years ago
    ^^^Try to work it where you can still get a DUI
  • rick33
    9 years ago
    Well, he has always wanted to tell us where to go...
  • ATACdawg
    9 years ago
    Just think. When we have self-driving cars, there will be computers in control of them (hopefully up to four of them so that they can compare answers and a single hardware or software glitch won't take you over a cliff); they will be connected to the Internet for software updates, route data and diagnostics. While these are all laudable, it also opens them up to hackers. Criminals, or ordinary citizens that the government doesn't like, can be tracked, rerouted or even shut down.

This will require a codified ethic to prevent abuse. The kicker is that I can't think of a single candidate for president or the Congress who is up to that task. It's going to be an interesting process and I think I'll hang onto my driver driven cars for a while!
  • WetWilly
    9 years ago
    Ever wonder where Google does their testing? Sunny California, on flat roads.

Guess what? The self driving cars don't work in rain, fog, snow, and other inclement weather.
  • ATACdawg
    9 years ago
    Willy, they are coming, and it will be sooner than you would think. Witness the Northrop-Grumman X-47B UAV that landed on an aircraft carrier making several traps without human intervention. Note that it was not remotely piloted. Making a self-driving car will be simple by comparison
  • Estafador
    9 years ago
    Nah, I want to drive my own car. A Mandatory breathalizer, I can accept. Self-driving? Sounds like a lot of hacking fuel. And the thrill of driving your car is absolutely gone.
  • vincemichaels
    9 years ago
    Damn and give up drag racing. I think not !!
  • WetWilly
    9 years ago
    I am happy to make a gentlemans bet with you, ATAC. I say no state will allow them on their roads before the year 2020.

Bet?
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

I'm still waiting for my "Jetsons" type flying car.

And Rosie the robot to prepare my food, vacuum the house and do my drycleaning for me.
  • ATACdawg
    9 years ago
    So, what are the stakes, willy?

They may not be allowed on the road, but I don't think they will be banned for technical reasons. A lot of people will fear them, and other drivers may have a hard time dealing with them.

My understanding is that Google already has them on the road on an experimental basis with the government's permission. Obviously, that's a long way from unlimited access, but given the rate at which computers become more capable, smaller and less expensive I'm not sure that I'd bet against it. The real key here will not be computing power but the hardware to bring commands from computer to the road: steering, braking and throttle actuators. These will have to be inexpensive to produce and totally reliable.

My bet for first application? Local delivery vans, all-electric without any seating at all. Electric steering, brakes and throttle will all be relatively easy to implement on a production basis. They will be able to plug themselves into charging stations when they need it (the Roomba robotic vacuums already do this). The pieces are mostly in place for all of this, including radar detection of other vehicles. I would not bet against these showing up by 2020.

• WetWilly
    9 years ago
    ATAC, you're not reading. Google is testing them, and getting temporary local approval to drive them in the only conditions in which they work--not in rain, fog, snow, sleet, or any inclement weather. There are many reasons why they have not received permission to let them operate, and the work they have to do is substantial. No one yet knows how they'll get them over the weather hurdle. It is not a small thing.

A gentleman's bet, by definition, BTW, has no " stakes ".
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I had thought a car that can drive me home and allow me to sleep on the way and just wake me up after I'm in the garage or about a mile from the house, nice.

I know who is working on the gyroscope devices.
    I won't trust them until they add radar or some kind of reliable vision system to detect obstructions in the road likea a deer carcass, a big ass tire, or a bridge out or a bridge surrounded by floodwater or a road covered in water or about to go under or a road partially collapsed with recent heavy rain. A human might see the hazard and turn around or drive across the center line to avoid going in a creek or wrecking. A self driving car might fail to see the hazard or fail to violate the law to avoid a hazard even if no is around late at night to know it. Maybe making cruise control safe to use while raining would be a good first step.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion