tuscl

Scanning ID

ellocohombre
Pennsylvania
Platinum Plus in Allentown, PA has a policy of scanning customers drivers licence before you are allowed to enter. Alot of customers don't agree with this policy. There seems y be many issues with this.
Your license is put through a scanner and saved for several weeks. First off,is identity theft. Second, is discretion on behalf of us who don't what others knowing our business. Third might be dancers who might use this to their advantage, is blackmail, extortion.
The clud is under probation for possible promoting issues. Would you guys go here,and what are your thoughts.

36 comments

• georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    I don't allow my ID to be scanned. If it means I don't get into the club, then I don't get into the club.

In addition to the issues you raise, I don't want to be unambiguously placed at the scene of a potential crime, such as a 2 AMer.
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    The PP chain is in enough trouble. They aught to lay off that shit.
  • londonguy
    9 years ago
    Maybe the answer is t not go to the club, if enough of you take that approach maybe they'll drop it. That sort of thing is illegal over here.
  • Subraman
    9 years ago
    loco: I think you are absolutely right to have concerns about the things you listed, and right to avoid that club for it. And think about it: some of these businesses like Deja Vu seem to run their businesses so shoddily -- can their cyber security really be up to snuff?

Here in SF, I believe we're up to all but 2-3 clubs scanning IDs at night, and all but 5 scanning IDs during the day. That's okay, my favorite clubs are all among the 5 that don't scan IDs during the day, and for the most part, I'm a dayshifter. I am furious about the ID scanning, but I have to be honest with myself: if every single club started ID scanning, I would risk it and still go SCing. My SC addiction beats my concerns of the ID scan. And, to whatever extent a data breach or identity theft from the strip club would have made the news, I haven't seen it. Which, maybe, is some cold comfort for those PLs who have no choice.
  • rh48hr
    9 years ago
    I won't go in a club that scans id's.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    Scanning id is becoming a lot more common and I've finally made peace with it. I've done it dozens of times with no consequences. I'd rather not but its really not a big deal
  • GoVikings
    9 years ago
    This happened to me when I visited the Treasure Club in Greensboro, North Carolina. It's happened a few other places as well. I couldn't careless though
  • deogol
    9 years ago
    Just need a false ID man.
  • georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    deogol, that's precisely the thing that scanning of IDs is designed to combat. :)
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    No such thing as a fake ID that will pass a scan. My club looks at your DL but no records are kept. Just as well.
  • ididthisonce
    9 years ago
    I have walked over the issue.
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    Only had it asked for a couple of times. One club, I never returned. They also closed not long after, but have since reopened. Coincidence?

The other, I still visit, but they have never asked again. The time they did ask was about 7:15 PM, and they wanted a cover charge. Walked. That was as late as I had ever gone to said club.
  • minnow
    9 years ago
    As I've repeatedly stated in various threads, ID scans are "no go" for me. I'm genuinely curious what the clubs rationale is for doing this. I'm aware of a few "membership" type clubs that do this to register members. I hope this type of business model doesn't gain too much traction.

For the vast majority of regular clubs, anything short of an injunction or court order is just a harebrained scheme concocted by some management puke with a bug up their ass. If enough people walk over this (showing a huge pile of bills in their wallet as they walk away), maybe someone will get the message and cease this practice.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    Scanning of IDs makes it a no go for me
  • ellocohombre
    9 years ago
    Thanks for checking in guys. The only thing that sucks is my cf works here. Although we do have a friendship and spend time together, I feel like I should still stop at the club and see her once in awhile.
  • georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    @minnow: "I'm genuinely curious what the clubs rationale is for doing this."

The clubs' rationale is that they are increasingly being held responsible for underage drinking (and dancers), and the cops and prosecutors don't give a shit about the "but they had an ID that said they were over 21" explanation.

Just one more example of police state thinking.
  • ellocohombre
    9 years ago
    I believe they are on probation from the liqour control board.
  • Subraman
    9 years ago
    gmd---> "The clubs' rationale is that they are increasingly being held responsible for underage drinking (and dancers), and the cops and prosecutors don't give a shit about the "but they had an ID that said they were over 21" explanation."

The clubs here cite multiple reasons, the above being one. Since the non-alcohol clubs also do ID scanning, it's more than just underage drinking. They also claim that it helps them track down people who skip out on their bill, people who commit assault or other crimes in the club, etc. Maybe it serves as a preventative measure, people being less likely to commit shenanigans if they know they'll get caught *shrug*. Whatever it is, the clubs feel like it's important enough that they do it even though they know customers hate it. Doesn't hurt that Deja Vu has a near-monopoly on strip clubs here, so there are very few other options.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I don't like it either; but unfortunately when I really want to hit a particular club there really isn't much that will stop me.

As others have mentioned; a lot of shit seems to go down in SCs from underage drinking and strippers; to assaults/2:00 AMers; to not-paying – so I guess the majority of custies which do things the right-way have to pay the penalty for the small minority of trouble-makers.

It also seems that it may be the chain-clubs that institute this more often – sorta handed down from corporate (although not always the case).

I would assume for many the id-scanning is an issue b/c they are married and do their SCing on the down-lo. I'm not married but still don't like the idea of a strip-club having my personal info.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    Papi my reason that ID scanning is an issue has nothing to do with hiding from anyone. I just feel that they are not the most responsible stewards of my private and personal information. If you had ever been a victim of identity theft you would think very carefully about giving an ID such as a DL to some person tending the door at a typical strip club. You remember the girl that tried to overcharge you at the door that you wrote about in one of your review props, well how would you feel about telling her where you live while you are out partying so she can tell her looser boyfriend your home is empty and undefended. How about providing that club where they ran up charges on that idiots credit card. If they got ahold of his ID they could apply for CCs in his name and really cause problems. Don't forget that the magnetic strip on your DL has a SS# attached to it which the could access from the DMV data base. Most businesses access that data regularly when hiring, I could imagine it wouldn't be so hard for an employee of a strip club who has no qualms about overcharging people entering and pocketing or splitting the difference with a club manager using the info from the scanned IDs to cause a shitload of problems. That is why I will walk before I will allow anyone to scan my ID, however I will show it if necessary to prove that I am of legal age but make and retain a copy no fucking way.
  • minnow
    9 years ago
    @gmd- That sounds like a straw man argument to me. Are clubs required to verify the validity of everyones ID that enters the club? Yeah, clubs being busted for underage drinking happens. I doubt gmd, shadowcat, and many other tusclers born prior to Nixon resigning from office will be mistaken for the under 21 crowd. I got carded at a Hooters once. For showing my ID only (no scan), I'll humor them.

But scanning into a database, or otherwise retaining a photocopy- I'm in complete agreement with "25". Showing ID is like answering door for a stranger, having ID scan is like letting a stranger into your house. Guard personal info accordingly.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    As a legal matter, making a record of customer ids is a very smart move. I would advise a club to do this. And I expect some bars to start doing this soon if they don't already. This is the wave of the future so we should get used to it. And if it pisses you off, Blame the courts and LE and not the clubs.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    Bet it doesn't catch on wont piss me off ill just spend my money elsewhere.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    ^^^^That is typical of a lawyer they get paid for their advice whether it's any good or not. I always take legal advice with a grain of salt after all in court half of the lawyers loose yet the the loosing party has to pay the the price the loosing lawyer still gets paid his fees.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    One last comment to JS69, if this does catch on which I don't believe it will, blame some fucking lawyer using some obscure legal theory, to sue some poor sucker, just like the creep who figured out how to sue McDonalds for coffee being too hot. This kind of shit I blame on lawyers entirely, instead of creating wealth they sit around and dream up schemes where someone who has worked hard and created some real wealth needs to subsidize their industry and they have subverted the entire legal system, to a point where the system no longer is about justice and fair play but how to force some one else to pay for your fuckups.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    Hostility towards the legal profession! How unusual. I'm devastated of course.

25, fun as it always is to bash the lawyers, the biggest force pushing clubs towards capturing ids is LE. So be pissed at the cops if you want to, or at the politicians who direct law enforcement, but bashing the lawyers just shows ignorance. Lawyers are our society's greatest protection against over zealous law enforcement.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    No John it is not hostility, they were at one time protection as you say, but now the legal profession has been corrupted and co-opted by the folks who have money to hire them. Just look around all over the country billboard after billboard al lawyers trying to push easy money litigation. have you been in an accident with an automobile before you get home from the hospital your mailbox will be overflowing with legal solicitations, hell if you get a traffic summons three days later there will be seventy five legal solicitations promising no points on your license that is the legal profession of today. Going after insurance companies, causing tremendous rate increases, attacking small businesses even those that try to do the right thing, profiting from the handicapped accessibility laws by filing ADA lawsuits against businesses for not having grab rails in private bathrooms because they were nice enough to let you the facilities one afternoon even though the business I am referring to is a delivery service that is not open to the general public come on John that is not lawyer bashing. Your old aunt Edna is solicited looking for slip and fall cases, yet if you have a real issue the lawyers have little or no interest, if a competitor steals company secrets through subterfuge try to find a lawyer willing to handle the case, only if you put them on a major retainer with 100k or more will they even agree to look at it . Lets face facts lawyer bashing is a self inflicted wound caused by the failure of the ABA and the success of the trial lawyers associations blocking them from effectively reining in the most common and egregious practices by attorneys across this country. Now lets be honest with each other I have used the services of attorneys from time to time in my business and some have become close personal friends. I can tell you frankly that there very few John Grisham lawyers out there most are after big bucks, you know this to be true, most of my attorney friends have said to me in private conversations over drinks and cigars that the integrity of the legal profession has been severely compromised. This is a very long and complicated subject if you like we can sit down over drinks one evening while you are down in Florida and discuss it, but don't oversimplify the subject and try to dismiss it by saying its lawyer bashing because that is simply not true and I'm sure deep down in your heart you know this.
  • Corvus
    9 years ago
    Judges that allow cases which should be thrown out to be heard before the court carry a lot of blame as well. Of course, all judges are lawyers too.
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    25, good argument. I know that your bashing of the legal profession has some degree of merit, and I was being a tad facetious to suggest that lawyers have no blame. Maybe we will have a chance to discuss the details over drinks or weed one day.

But since the issues are complicated, I'll just leave you with one thought. You have assumed that it is the lawyers who are making our society unreasonably litigious and greedy. But isn't it equally possible that what the lawyers do is itself simply a reflection of social trends towards increasingly hostile conflict and greed? What I'm suggesting is that to the extent that your observations are true, the blame and criticism lie as much or more with our society as a whole than with the legal profession directly.
  • skibum609
    9 years ago
    I don't go. I tell t hem no and if they insist I leave. Once every stripclub I like starts scanning I will be done. That simple.
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    John glad to see that you recognize responsibility, I don't think one group is worse or better than another group of folks in general. But I believe the responsibility lies with those that have the most power and in our society no profession has more power than lawyers as a group. Just look around most of our government officials are lawyers, very few presidents of our country have not been attorneys, I personally believe that it is taught to them in law schools across the country , by that I mean everything is reduced to an adversarial argument.
    Lets just look at this thread. I would bet that most of the posters are against scanning IDs for many reasons not just on principle and, I am sure that some have improper reasons for being against it but lets remember the principals that patriots have fought and died for one of them being the right to travel across our country unrestricted. Another is the right to assemble peacefully at a place of our choice.
    By having a lawyer state unequivocally state that he would recommend that a client violate another persons rights being a smart move shows how far the pendulum has swung. Twenty years ago this would have never have come up in any normal conversation, no one would have even thought of something like this. Now out of fear or what ever else those that are supposed to be our advocates are advocating a position that is an anathema to our stated principles .
    I believe that the lawmakers of our country are becoming more adversarial because that is the way they have been trained, there is an over emphasis placed on winning an argument, rather than compromising to forge a cooperative agreement and lawyers have outsized amounts of power in relation to their numbers in our system.
    Yes society as a whole can be unreasonable but without enablers bleeding tremendous amounts of money from the litigants I believe would lead to many more reasonable solutions to the problems that we face in the course of every day business and life in general.
  • Subraman
    9 years ago
    "Once every stripclub I like starts scanning I will be done. That simple."

Ha! That's funny! :) :)
  • JohnSmith69
    9 years ago
    to disprove 25's point, I will stop debating the issue.
  • Jascoi
    8 years ago

• in las vegas scanning is very common. in the LA area it has happened to me a couple of times. i remember it was deja vu coi. it was just after a raid.
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Scanning doesn't always work against us. I went into Fantasies Nightclub one night, handed him my license and got out my $5 cover. He looked at the image and said, "It's your birthday? Cover's on us!"
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    The average fake ID cost a benji. To me, its a non issue. Seriously. If a private business can deny service to anyone (gays, trans, etc) or deny benefits to anyone (gays, trans) or benefits on religious grounds (birth control, abortions, same-sex marriage benefits) then the average business can scan IDs of its patrons if it wants to. Our rights are to protect us (apparently) from the government, not necessarily from independent businesses or corporations. The more I read about this the more I learn. I guess that's freedom. Or so the libertarians and conservatives tell me. .. assuming I understand their logic.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion