tuscl

Something that can drive you bananas

Bananas are going extinct.
A fungus is killing crops overseas.
How long until it reaches the Americas, no one knows.
http://www.news4jax.com/news/disease-cou…

15 comments

• shailynn
    9 years ago
    I feel sorry for all the monkeys. Just think how they'd feel if they knew. It would be like someone told Juice they aren't making chacken fangers anymore, or telling JS69 that DSs aren't available.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    I am an ISA certified arborist. I specialize in disease treatments of trees. Here is my 2 cents worth...

That sucks. Some of these tree disease and insect problems are transfered from one place to another by transporting wood or fruit from one continent to another. Sometimes insects can carry disease pathogens and can be inside fruit or wood and spread diseases where they end up. Some trees may be resistant in one area of the world, if transported to another part of the world can infect trees with little or no resistance and wipe out major populations of trees.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Yes we have no bananas
    We have no bananas today

sorry
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    ^^^^ see, I've been telling you motherfuckers for 6 months crazyjoe really isn't crazy.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    All the pussies put me on ignore. Then i am nice....hahaha

If you cant handle me at my worst, you dont deserve me at my best
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    ^^Good line crazyjoe^^
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I had a suspicion that crazyjoe knew a thing or two about bananas. :)
    Hopefully someone finds a cure in time. I would hate to think that reincarnation is real and future generations know nothing about bananas except what's in the history books.
  • ime
    9 years ago
    Crazyjoe is master of manure.
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    9 years ago
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_dis…

Apparently the Fusarium Rot fungus that causes this condition wiped out the major crop banana of the 1950's, and the current favorite type (the Cavendish) was resistant to the disease until a new strain came along which is threatening the crops in Malaysia, Taiwan and Southeast Asia.

The commercial breeds of banana do not produce sexually as they have no seeds and the male plants do not produce pollen. Plants are produced by replanting suckers from the roots of existing banana plants manually when they are cut down after production. Because there is no genetic variability due to asexual production, they are more subject to disease.

I'm no horticulturalist but (no pun intended) if that is the root of the problem my best guess would be the fix for this problem would have to be genetically engineered plants. I know some people have a problem with this but we are talking a major food staple that forms a large part of the diet in some areas of the globe.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I wonder if they could cross breed a resistant banana with the current crop and fix the problem? That might be easier said then done if they know of similar but resistant varieties.

It would be quite sad to let bananas go extinct.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    Tell her you're gonna give Juice her #
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    ^ damn - wrong thread
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Hugh R Rection... good call. Genetic engeneering of other suceptible crops has been done. This takes longer to geneticly engeneer crops from trees than faster growing plants like tomatos. It will take longer to see side affects from eating such crops.

There are antibiotics that can be injected into trees to treat Fusarium rot. Unfortunately they are not to be used in crop producing trees in the United States.

This type of disease blocks trees ability to move nutrients and water throughout themselves. Like having clogged arteries. Trees eventually can starve to death without treatment.

Proper nutrition and fertility is essential to resisting in the first place.

More info posted in the link below.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/31…
  • goldmongerATL
    9 years ago
    Could cramp the style of one girl I VIP'd a long time ago. She had me bring a green banana with me to VIP to occupy the other option.
  • lopaw
    9 years ago
    I go apeshit over bananas!!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion