tuscl

Do you think there is?

Mr_O
Florida
OT: Mars! Mars! Mars!

That topic made me ponder a bit. Now we pretty much know the universe is nearly endless and still expanding, so do you believe that this little ol' planet, Earth, supports the only life in the universe? Or is there other life?

Personally, I first think we have to determine what constitutes "life". Based on what we generally accept as life, I would say the odds are great that there is a lot of life in this universe. Will we ever know for sure? Based on out physics understanding, it isn't real likely we will ever know in our lifetimes, but who's to say our understanding of physics is even close to what might exist elsewhere in the universe.

Your thoughts?

22 comments

• rockstar666
    9 years ago
    If Earth is the only place with life by any definition, it would prove either a deity created us, or the universe is a fake (which in essence is the same thing) if we are alone. With so many billions of stars and planets in the billions of galaxies, the odds are so overwhelmingly for life that only the above would explain why there isn't.
  • gawker
    9 years ago
    Unquestioningly there's other forms of life; if not in our solar system, then we
    I think our galaxy. I suspect a manned trip to Mars will show evidence of some weird microscopic life form which lived there a quadrillion years ago. Some day in the distant future evidence of carbon based "intelligent" life will be found on a planet about 100 light-years away. Where else would all of our UFO's have come from?
    The more important question is whether there are any intelligent life forms employed at strip clubs. The search goes on.
  • rh48hr
    9 years ago
    To answer your question : yes
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    Yes.
  • footballguy
    9 years ago
    Yes, I think there has to be some type of life somewhere else in the universe. The universe is endless, so there has to be at least some type of bacteria that's exists somewhere, technically that is life.

That being said, I still think there would be some type of life form somewhere in a more traditional sense (something that moves). It may not be smart but it has to exist somewhere. Scientists seem to want to focus on planets that are the same distance from the sun that earth is, but whose to say there can't be a life form that exists that doesn't breathe oxygen or doesn't need water? Yes those are the necessary requirements for life on earth but that doesn't mean life can't exist without it somewhere else.

Let's not forget, people used to be positive the earth was flat, who did that turn out?
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

Of course there is life out there. Haven't any of you seen the Men in Black movies?

Elvis isn't dead. He just went home.
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    Yes. The vast number of stars in all the galaxies makes it probable that life exists on many planets. What would be improbable is that life only exists on one planet, earth.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    But Nasa did discover life on another planet.....

http://newswatch28.com/nasa-discovers-ne…
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    OMG I bookmarked the home page. That site is a riot!!! I like the 80 year old man who was eaten by pigeons too.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    I don't know about advanced intelligent life, but more and more people think the basics of life came to earth from other plants, perhaps spread by comets. Not too many years back they found some fossilized micro-organisms at the North Pole which they believe came from Mars.

So while I don't keep up with all the details, it seems reasonable that life at least did exist on Mars, and probably exists on other planets.

But also, they think that our four large planets do somehow resonate with each other, the year on Saturn being twice as long as the year on Jupiter, and that these shield us from asteroids. So our condition still might not be that common.

SJG
    https://sites.google.com/site/sjgportal/…

Doors, Aquarius Theater
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCWZun7t…
  • JamesSD
    9 years ago
    Life? Yes. Life above the plant or single cell organism level? Less sure. Life we could communicate with? Much less likely.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    In a Bruce Sterling novel people are surgically adapted to live in pools of liquid Nitrogen on a moon of I think Neptune. Swimming in such pools and being on one of the moons is a way of dealing with the extreme gravity. But then there is still the cold, and the need for Oxygen. I might have gotten the details mixed up a bit here, but you get my point.

But around other stars there are probably earth like planets, moderate temperature and gravity, and oxygen.

But for life to have evolved there needs to be a very long period of at least quasi stability. Our 4 large planets shielding us from asteroids have made a big difference.

Still the issue though of ever being able to travel or send messages faster than the speed of light. Most of these places are going to be thousands of years away at the speed of light.

I suspect that there is life on Mars, at least micro-organisms. Maybe on the Moon too.

SJG
  • seaboardrr
    9 years ago
    One of my favorite quotes which the movie Contact paraphrased and made real popular "...seems like an awful waste of space".

If you want a real mind fuck think about how the universe is infinite YET we're told it's expanding. Now re-read that last sentence.

If it's infinite how can it expand?
    If it can expand what is it expanding into?

Now go watch Men In Black again and look for Orion's Belt. I also think of Futurama when they get to the end of the universe and see themselves looking back at themselves. I don't even try to comprehend the infiniteness of the universe as my tiny human brain will never grasp the concept. I just tell myself it's the galaxies expanding WITHIN the universe and to not even try and rationalize the universe itself.
  • Mr_O
    9 years ago
    footballguy,

There is life on this planet that seems should not exist. Where, the ocean depths. But it is there. Go figure.

I think "advanced intelligent life" is becoming extinct on this planet. One not look far to see that.
  • PhantomGeek
    9 years ago
    Yeah, there are extremophiles right here on our own planet, living in the depths of the oceans, near volcanic vents, pretty much any place you wouldn't expect life to exist -- but it does. Sort of makes me wonder what would happen millennia from now if some of those microbes, such as those that exist on methane, were transported to Titan or another world thick with methane.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    seaborardrr: There is no such thing as infinity to be found in nature. Everything that is real is finite even if it's a very large number, like the number of protons in our universe. Since the universe has been expanding at the speed of light for about 13.4 billion years, you have the boundary right there on how big it is. In time, it will be bigger but still finite. Space itself can expand faster than light, but since we can never visit anything farther than the event horizon of our universe, it doesn't have any practical application in our science. Yet.
  • seaboardrr
    9 years ago
    rockstar, saying the universe is infinite is just an easy way for people to explain it because no one can. We're told it's 13 some odd billion years old, it's expanding, it started with a big bang from an infinitesimally small point that quite possibly happened after a previous incarnation of the universe collapsed in on itself. It all leads to my #2 point of what is beyond the universe? Did space stay the same yet everything in the universe collapse to a single point causing the big bang? Is space infinite and everything in it is expanding? Did space and everything in it collapse? If so I still ask what was beyond the boundary of the universe. If it all collapsed there had to be an ending in order for it to collapse to a single point and expand again. What is the area where the universe WAS after it collapsed? How many times has the big bang happened? I have to stop before my head explodes.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    The universe is not expanding at the speed of light , Our Milky Way is estimated to be moving 1.3 million mph. And the Big Bang Theory makes as much sense as "let there be light". Why do you think that tiny point in space is called "the God Particle"
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Mkey, you're confusing several things here. Yes, the Milky Way moves through already created space at far less than c. But the big bang is the CREATION of space itself, which is actually the Higgs Field as this field gives rise to mass. Without this field, there can not be matter or space.

The Higgs moves at the speed of light and is the outer boundary, or event horizon of our universe, which is now about 13.4 billion light years away. The "god particle" is the associated boson that every field has one. This is what was found at CERN. We are still trying to find the graviton, the boson associated with gravity.

As for the likelihood the big bang actually happened, I agree it's got holes in it; I've never been comfortable with 'expansion' to explain the wmap data. But a deity creating the universe is the same as if it was created by a hyper-intelligent alien life. Both would mean the universe is a fake, and someone is watching. After all, anyone who have the source code of the universe is indeed a deity no matter what people may care to call them
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    seaboardrr: There is NOTHING beyond the event horizon of our universe. Remember, the B didn't happen IN space but rather it's the creation of space itself. "Space" isn't just an empty place; it's rather FUNDAMENTAL to the universe. It has to be created before there can be matter and that's what the Higgs Field is: the creating force of space itself.

As for the big bang, as I said above I'm not very happy with the theory because there is no such thing as a singularity. Scientists use that term because they have yet to nail down a better explanation.

I have a hunch the BB is not going to be the ultimate theory of creation. I suspect the universe is indeed a fake, created by someone (or a deity if you prefer) for the purpose of studying life in a physical reality. We can discover if it's a fake by looking at the few laws pf physics that don't make sense, like conjoined particles and the whole theory of gravity. If we ever develop a quantum theory of gravity (which I interchange with the phrase 'the source code of the universe'), we will know how the universe was created. It's a work in progress...
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    This is fun Rockstar. I never read that the Higgs Field was still creating space at the speed of light

They should name that point the "Goddamned Particle".......good luck finding it
  • seaboardrr
    9 years ago
    How can you say there is nothing beyond the edge of the universe? How do you even know there is an edge to the universe? If nothing real is infinite and the universe is real then there must be something beyond the finite edge of the universe for it to expand INTO. Even nothingness has to exist if the universe is going to expand to fill the nothingness.

Personally, for me; I just go with the idea that our universe is a drop of water on a leaf in another reality.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion