tuscl

Any one try the free upgrade to Windows 10?

Wanted to hear someone say its great before I do.....

20 comments

• pensionking
    9 years ago
    Also wondering about W 10. I have to buy a laptop for my collegebound daughter and need a new computer for myself. Not sure what to do as all my current machines run Windows 7. Not sure I wanna learn Windows 8 but not sure I wanna be a test case for an untested, brand new Windows 10.

Foncused . . .
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    Mickey,I got the same request,but I'm the old school bloke that says"If it ain't broke don't fix it."
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    I do hate these magic screens on Windows 8
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    I did the upgrade its much better than windows 8
  • gawker
    9 years ago
    Read 2 reviews today: WSJ & Boston Globe: both love it. Both say that the best bet is to wait a month or 2 and then upgrade free. One said there's few if any new laptops available with Win 10. Pension king - probably buy your daughter a laptop with Win 7 and upgrade at Thanksgiving.
  • metaldude
    9 years ago
    Best bet for a laptop going to college is a Mac book Pro, almost all of the kids have those instead of PC's.

I couldn't stand Win 8 so much I returned the PC it was on and bought an I-Mac for home use. I'm hoping Win 10 will be good so I can upgrade work computers from 7.
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    I signed up for the free upgrade and am supposed to receive notification when it has been downloaded to my computer but so far no notification. They were supposed to start the downloads yesterday. I don't know if it takes awhile to do them all or what. I plan to wait awhile to see the critiques.
  • londonguy
    9 years ago
    Why did they miss out 9?
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Hmm, I noticed a little window icon on the bottom, that says windows10 is downloaded, but I have to activate it
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    I was expecting an email notification but just clicked on the windows 10 icon and like mikea02 said it is ready for installation.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I want one that goes to 11
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Londonguy, its some sort of number superstition. I think I read that Windows 10 will be the last version made. All further windows improvements will be by updates.
  • pensionking
    9 years ago
    I read somewhere that Windows 8 was so universally disliked that they wanted to send the message that the next windows was a radical departure from 8. It sounds like 10 is supposed to work equally well with touch-screen machines and legacy keyboard/mouse users.

I do not intend to update any existing machines right away. I just can't make up my mind what laptop to buy for my daughter who leaves for college in 3 weeks. She is majoring in business, so I think I had better not go with mac-book. Grrr what to do?????
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    Don't be a chump. Windows has become a horrible, convoluted mess. Buy a MacBook.
  • georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    The story I heard for the version number skip was that 7 8 9.
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    Jackslash: " Buy a MacBook"

Some of us need to get real work done, though.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    with windows 10, windows media center won't be there and neither will the gadgets from win 7 is what I think I read. plus there will likely be bugs. wait a few months if u don't want to be the first guinea pig to figure it all out. it will be free for a year. Microsoft has some plan to make money in the latter half of the win 10 cycle I think. maybe advertising you can't block? or some other crap like that? or upgrades you can't refuse? I'm wary of what their plans might be.
    They skipped win9 for marketing purposes. people hated win8.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    support for win7 drops I think in 2020.
  • pensionking
    9 years ago
    I fucking hate it when they suspend support for a perfectly good OS that people are still using. It sucks that they are so ubiquitous and entrenched in the corporate world. I would definitely switch from 8 to 10. Problem is I likey my win7. Maybe 2020 is far enough away so as to be worth it.
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    I bought a copy of "Windows 7 for seniors for dummies". I there a new version for windows 10? :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion