tuscl

Why the hell is the White House lit up with rainbow colors?

Is this pandering?

47 comments

• lopaw
    9 years ago
    No.
    It's showing love & solidarity.
    Same reason a ton of folks, gay & straight, have rainbowed their profile pics.
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    Lopaw,no it is not.It's merely securing the gay vote.Look,I don't give a shit about one's sexual preference.Wish I had a nickel for every gay man that hit on me.Sorry Charlie,I'm into pussy.It's the same thing the Libtards are doing with illegal immigration.It's all about the vote.
  • lopaw
    9 years ago
    The liberals already have the rainbow vote. They don't need to "pander" to the believers.
    But you all believe what you want to.
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    Define"Believers".
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Sure Lopaw, but maybe they can show love to other groups also. Maybe at Christmas? Play carols and have a nativity scene?
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    Mikey going Huckabee on me.Lopaw,some of my best clients were G/L couples,(Dual income,no children).
    Lopaw,there is a reason why the sun rises in the east.

PS,I got a friend request from a Lopaw.Were you ever in an African nation topless?
  • warhawks
    9 years ago
    ^^^ Tell me. Why does the sun rise in the East?

I always thought it was due to the rotation and tilt of the earth in relation to the sun, which the earth revolves around?
  • jackslash
    9 years ago
    Celebrating freedom for all, which is the best of America.
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    warhawks post below tumblingdice's

"^^^ Tell me. Why does the sun rise in the East?

I always thought it was due to the rotation and tilt of the earth in relation to the sun, which the earth revolves around?"

Brilliant! You should also explain tides to Bill O'Reilly when you get a chance! ;)
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    I was pleased the White House did that. Any time America becomes more free, it's a reason to celebrate. It doesn't happen very often.
  • sclvr5005
    9 years ago
    It was a cool thing to see.
  • lopaw
    9 years ago
    @mikeya02- the recent SC decision was historic. The white house (along with the rest of the nation) was merely acknowledging it. I'm sure that by the time I write this the white house lights will be back to normal. Gay folk don't often get such nice gestures. Let us enjoy.

@tumblingdice- thanks for your LGBT support.
    Ironically I also got a friend request from a tumblingdice. We're you ever a participant on RuPauls Drag Race ?
  • tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    Nothing but love "L".
  • georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    Yes, I was glad to see that the President changed his position on gay marriage, and now supports it.
  • lopaw
    9 years ago
    Yeah I feel it, td. ;)
  • skibum609
    9 years ago
    The White House is lit up because of the pathetic fraud in the White House who conveniently forgets he was against gay marriage until Joe Biden came out for it and forced his hand. The idea homos cn get married because of the constitution but multiple partners, which actually has a long history in humanity are still barred is a disgrace to humanity, but typical for progressives.
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    skibum, I agree that polyamorous living situations should not be illegal, and generally they're not. But having multiple spouses in a legal sense is too cumbersome, due to the extra rights government attaches to married people. Gay marriage won in part because there's no demonstrable harm to society, but in your case there truly is because of the rights extended to married people don't work for groups.

I think you would argue that the government should not extend ANY rights to married people, like power of attorney or tax breaks. Perhaps that's where we'll be in the future.
  • crsm27
    9 years ago
    I have to agree and disagree on this one.

Agree: It was a nice gesture for the land mark case.... Disagree: it was totally all political BS by the administration.

Like someone mentioned... do you think they would put up a nativity scene during Christmas? do you think they would put up a Mexican flag during Cinco De Mayo? You could make 100 different examples. They just wont do it.

I am happy for the ruling and it is a stride for the LGBT community. Even though I have feelings it would have never gotten to the Supreme Court and would have never had to go through the fight it did if the government and congress changed some wording. But that is a totally different thread.

Side note and nothing having to do with the ruling:
    Now this is what gets me about every political figure out there right now. They have a whole us vs them or Libs vs Cons.... Reps vs Dems. They totally forget that they are making laws for an entire nation, they are making budgets for an entire nation, etc. If they vote on party lines they are already pissing off 60% of the voters. These people are forgetting they have to make decisions based on 100% of the nation.

They need to stop all of this BS with us vs them attitude and go back to the USA as a whole.
  • skibum609
    9 years ago
    ROCK -- If it doesn't apply to all its not a right, cumbersome or not. SCOTUS is a fraud. The idea that the Constitution is meant to bestow "dignity" is so idiotic that Kennedy should take a gun and o the right thing.
  • londonguy
    9 years ago
    Going off topic slightly......how does the law work over there wrt discriminating against gays/lesbians, as an example could a hotel refuse gay/lesbian guests on religious grounds, or is it a case that gay/lesbian rights always override religious beliefs just like over here?
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    bum: You don't understand what the SC ruled. They ruled bans on marriage based on sex are unconstitutional. They didn't change any marriage laws, merely invalidated discriminatory laws that took away rights of others. If no states had legal same sex marriages, you'd have a point, but once some states allowed them, the discrimination point becomes valid. How can a same sex couple get benefits in one state and have it taken away if they move or are travelling?
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    londonguy: There is no federal law protecting LGBT rights, so it would revert to the states. Many states have laws expressly forbidding LGBT discrimination, but in the more morally challenged one, gay couple will definitely be legally discriminated against.

I do expect this to change though; the Republicans realize they better get on the right side of this or they'll never win another national election.
  • pensionking
    9 years ago
    As long as the religious right continue to push Republicans away from the center, the Republicans WILL NEVER win another national election. There are not enough zealots to overwhelm liberal and moderate voters. The only way to win a Republican national primary is to pander to the far right which automatically disqualifies the same candidate from winning a national election. It is a conundrum the far right doesn't seem capable of grasping.

Fucktard McCain wins the national election if he doesn't pick a funtionally illiterate running mate.
    Fucktard Romney wins the national election if his position on abortion alone was moderate. Non-zealot women will NEVER vote for an anti-abortion rights presidential candidate.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    "Celebrating freedom for all, which is the best of America."

Yes!

Mikeya02, Is this what you do all day long, listen to Fox and read NewsMax? Give it a rest.

SJG
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    I've been friends with gays since I was a teen-ager. The only reason I asked this question is because I thought the White House was for all the people. I really would like to see them decorate it for Christmas
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Christmas is not something which has been persecuted. Gay people are.

The First Amendment requires separation of church and state. Our constitutional protections are not there to protect the majority, they are there to protect stigmatized minorities from the majority.

SJG
  • londonguy
    9 years ago
    ^^ Christians have though and still are being persecuted. That's okay though, it's only when Muslims etc are being persecuted that there's a problem.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    In the US, most elected officer holders and the captains of finance and industry are Christians.

In most places it is assumed that you are either a Christian, or you are somehow deficient. The evangelical movement is extremely strong and very few are willing to stand up to it.

SJG
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    Wrong again SJG, Christians are being bashed all the time. But they are forgiving, they don't raise holy hell like Muslims
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Christians have control over just about everything. Here were I live they control most outreach and social programs and the gov't is taken in by them. In other areas of the country you cannot present stuff in school which they don't agree with. Very few speak out against them. I mean here in the US, not in the Middle East.

SJG
  • sclvr5005
    9 years ago
    @san jose guy- Your batting a big fat ZERO as far as being right about anything today. Actually that's most days.

Try reading more and talking less.
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    Maybe they ran out of white bulbs! :)
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    Obama, Biden, Hillary, they all used to be against gay marriage. Now they're all for it. Why? Because their party is all for it. That's all the lights were, trying to stay relevant.

The Republicans do it too. The Moderates become gun toting, bible thumpers, lest they piss off the far right.
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    "Maybe they ran out of white bulbs! :)"

Brilliant! ;)
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    rock,

"Any time America becomes more free, it's a reason to celebrate."

Are you kidding me? Please tell me you are and not completely deranged.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/…

I'll say it for you. "Fox News, must be a lie." Of course the truth is they don't. Liberal media, without doubt, conservative, rarely.
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    On a slightly more serious note, mikeya02, I doubt that the rainbow lighting will be an annual event. Christmas decorations, in contrast, go up annually and if you want you can go decorate the White House! Apparently florists from all over the country go, so a good way to volunteer is to see if any local florists need help! There are other ways to help too! Just google "White House Christmas decoration volunteer"! :)
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    As for me, I plan to make an ornament for the White House Christmas tree! I'm thinking of a sexy woman wearing only a Santa hat sitting on a couch with a dachshund! Brilliant! ;)
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    ^^^^^ Obviously I was talking about the OUTSIDE of the White House, not the inside.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    @jester

Thank you for pointing that out. 3 years ago Obama was publicly against gay marriage. He claimed he only supported civil unions. (Though in private he admitted he was lying).
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    mikeya02, you want them to project an image of a sexy nude woman wearing only a Santa hat and sitting next to a dachshund on the outside of the White House? Brilliant! :)

Let's start a petition! It would be extra cool if she also had a frog! ;)
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    All politicians flip-flop. That's not unusual. But he flip flops then flip flops again depending in what he is running for.

In 1996 when he ran for the Illinois state senate he was for gay marriage. Then flip flopped when he ran for president. Then flip flopped back again.
  • 4got2wipe
    9 years ago
    Seriously though, I understood that you were talking about the outside of the White House, but I honestly don't see your point! We celebrate Christmas every year and the White House definitely decorates every year! I just don't see why shining rainbow lights on the White House for a one time event is somehow more prominent that decorating inside for Christmas!

Personally I love Christmas! It's such a happy time of year! I just wish we focused it a little bit more! Do we really need stores starting to put up decorations after Halloween? And maybe spend more time spending on charity and less on crap we probably don't need or even want! I tell my family and friends to donate to charities in my name and not bother with giving me stuff I can buy for myself if I want it! That's the real spirit of Christmas! And it's brilliant! ;)
  • jester214
    9 years ago
    @Lopaw, Democrats have to pander towards liberals too, or they'll just sit out elections.
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    I wonder why rock hasn't replied to debunk the facts?
  • sclvr5005
    9 years ago
    ^^^Probably because its pointless.
    Each "side" here has their own ideals and agendas. We could debate "facts" and interpretation all day and all night and nothing will change. No one wins. Each maintains that they are right. No one here is changing sides anytime soon. So whats the point?
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    sclvr,

The lib way! Make an inaccurate statement and not have to balls to back it up. I don't play that "game".

As for the point, just showing the despicable actions of libs!
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    Keeping the government from handing tax payer resources over to the Christians is a never ending job.

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion