tuscl

One thing about Obama that touched me (for real)

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 1:38 PM
At Obama's inauguration an elderly black with a cane was interviewed. He was crying. " I never thought I would live to see this day" he said. A single black mother was interviewed. "Now our kids can look up to a black person that's not an athlete or rapper" she said. These words sounded good to me. But it's hard being President.

14 comments

• gawker
    9 years ago
    You can't please all of the people all of the time. You can't fool all of the people all of the time.
  • LeeH
    9 years ago
    How is the single black mother's statement not perpetuating a false stereotype that all prominent black people are athletes or rappers? If a person of any other pigmentation had said that, there would be screams of "racism".
  • pensionking
    9 years ago
    The CEOs of Merck, American Express, Carnival, Xerox, Darden Restaurants and (until he recently retired) McDonalds are all AA. I'll be less than 1% of black students nationally could name even 1 of them. That is a problem.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I guess there must be no black politicians she looked up to before someone became president. You had to be a rapper or athlete to be special. Obama was a nobody as a senator. That's the message I heard. I know the feeling of being ignored.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    You guys know what she meant. Young black males look up to rappers and athletes, President of the USA is something they should more proud of. That's what she was hoping for.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Shit
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Shit some more
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Shit
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    And his wife doesn't tell the younger what can be attained in the US, rather goes on a racist rant. Embarrassing at best.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Chuck: Real talk [view link]
  • LeeH
    9 years ago
    mikeya02: You guys know what she meant. Yeah, she meant, "I'm doing a piss poor job as a mother." Are you really gonna tell me that a young male (of any ethnicity) is going to solely idolize entertainers/athletes, but make a single, special exception for POTUS? For that matter, it also sounds to me like SHE doesn't even see value in non-entertainers/athletes, except for one solitary job.
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    Doesn't take a village, but a father would sure help!!! I said father, not sperm donor.
  • mikeya02
    9 years ago
    LeeH, way to make things up. This was not at a Wal Mart. What better time to point out Obama as a role model, than at his PRESIDENTIAL iNAUGURATION!
  • LeeH
    9 years ago
    Not making up anything. Read your own quote: "***NOW*** our kids can look up to ..." There is no possible way to interpret it that doesn't imply (nay, state) that there was no one to look up to before that day. Even if one limits one's creaming to Obama, she stated that he wasn't worthy of admiration when he was a senator. While I appreciate that long list that pensionking cited, we can limit things to the world of politics and still reveal how ridiculous her statement is. When they were in their respective offices, Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell were often in the news more than the POTUS under which they served. But apparently, they aren't worth shit in this mother's eyes. Or -- and this is really fucking radical -- raise your kids to admire deeds and not random luck-of-the-draw shit that you have no control over, like pigmentation.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion