tuscl

Anyone know how Facebook tries to match up suggested friends?

I think they may track Internet search history.
That would explain why one dancer I clicked on out of the Atlanta area is still showing up on a suggested friends list after a whole month.
I think if you click on someone you temporarily pop up to the top of their suggested friends list. Then quickly fade away after a week if you have no mutual friends or connections.
Now if you donate to someone on a Facebook related site, then they stay stuck on your suggested friends list for a long time if you used the same email address and name as on Facebook.

I don't know. Some people may click on me after I pop up and then I might click back on them not remembering them. Facebook tracks everything. I once thought I could click around anonymously as if I was surfing the Internet. Not anymore on Facebook. Now if I could think of a good reason to send a friend request to a couple of very hot girls who are friends of friends whom I don't talk to much at all. Some friends of friends are hotter than any dancers I see in the clubs. oh, one girl I'm related to so that blew away any fantasy I may have had. Very hot girl is a cousin.

9 comments

• sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    Some local girls faded off my suggested friends list quickly but a dancer out of Atlanta is still showing up. I guess it's possible she has clicked on me. If we met before I can't remember. I forget so many people. I doubt she's clicking on me. I think Facebook has tracked multiple visits to this web site and since she identified herself on Facebook as a dancer, she's staying near the top twenty suggested friends. It makes sense to me.
    Do you ever explore dancers Facebook pages or their frends pages? I did a couple of times not realizing that would make me pop up. It's possible I never ever met them or saw them in person. I guess with dancers, they probably wonder the same thing. Do I know whoever?
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    Seems to have changed recently. Used to just be something like friends of friends. Now it seems to pick people living near with some other criteria I can't discern.
  • GACA
    9 years ago
    Ya I noticed that it knows where I work, guessing through geolocation, I don't have the app, but I'm sure it pings servers a towers. I'm getting suggestions about people who work in my company even though I am facebook friends with NONE of them.
  • gawker
    9 years ago
    This has puzzled me for quite a while. I did a lot of consulting in a city in NJ and 6 months later my "suggested" friends list has other people from that town. I only have one Facebook friend from there.
    Also I've got 2 dancers from one club as FB friends and other dancers start showing up as possibles. I frequently do go to other dancers' pages if they have a common friend, but I really should get a life rather than looking at pictures of other dancer's parents, children, or BF's
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    The first two criteria, I would guess, are number of mutual friends and people whose page you have been on. After that, it's a mystery to me.
  • Dougster
    9 years ago
    I checked this and one chick appears to work for a big bank out here and to have posted some pictures from inside a bar I posted some pictures of as well.
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    I have lots if dancers on my fb friends
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I think if someone clicks on your Facebook page, that moves them up to the top of suggested friends for a few days to a week. If they are geographically close, I think that helps to get noticed. I once clicked on a dead girl's profile wondering if I knew her. My memory of people seems to not be that great so I need as much visual assistance as possible. It really helped because I realized I had met her and talked to her on a few occassions. She lived within 15 minutes of me too. Facebook immediately put her on the top of my suggested friends list which I just thought was a bit disturbing. Fortunately she didn't clck on my page or she would have stayed there longer. I would have found that really disturbing. I guess if she had someone set up to take over her Facebook account, I could have gotten a friend request from her. That would freak some people out if they knew someone was dead. Before the last few weeks, I only used Facebook about twice a month to show a relative without a pc pics from other relatives. There are a gazillion settings in Facebook.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I could tell I had creeped out a dancer a bit based on the way she was looking at me back a few weeks ago. She saw me on Facebook. I don't have to be psychic to know that. Actually I found it kind of nice she was giving me that much attention when she had hundreds of friends and followers. I ran into her last night. She just smiled so I guess she's not creeped out anymore. She's hot so she shouldn't be that surprised if some guy clcks on her Facebook page.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion