tuscl

Simple Question

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
How many beers does it take to get you drunk?

I googled that and was surprised by some of the answers.

25 comments

• shadowcat
    9 years ago
    Not so simple. Japanese beer has a lot more alcohol than American beer. I'm not talking about the imported stuff. It is watered down to American regulations.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    Go ahead and down a few and report back to us
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I would think it depends on how strong the beer is and how quickly one drinks them.

I’m not much of a drinker; but in my late teens I recall downing about 4 Becks in a row and getting a good buzz.
  • JamesSD
    9 years ago
    "Drunk"?

4? But I drink craft beers which tend to have a higher ABV than Bud Light.

Obviously the timetable matters too. If I start at 7 and drink a beer an hour I won't be drunk by 11. But if I pound 4 in an hour I'll be staggering.
  • Clubber
    9 years ago
    motor,

Drunk according to the state or legally drunk? I think there is a big difference. According to my motorcycle training it was 3 in an hour. Below is a calculator from a local station.

http://www.local10.com/thats-life/food/8…
  • ididthisonce
    9 years ago
    Is Motor thinking about "tying one on" tonight? I don't drink very often, maybe 5 alcoholic beverages a year. The bad news is all five generally happen in one night.
  • Clackport
    9 years ago
    I never try, I don't want to get a beer gut until I'm much older :)
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    If I drank 6 in an hour with no food, I might be over the limit legally. I'm not really sure with food. An awful lot for me. I burn it up fast too. I have a higher metabolism and eat more than most people so it makes sense that I would have a harder time getting affected.
    I have no desire to get drunk or have a hangover.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I once drank 4 beers at the beach when I was thirsty in about 4 minutes and felt less thirsty but barely even noticed anything even without food. It was like drinking water except it cost more. The bartender took my pic and said that was the fastest he ever saw anyone drink before. I was thinking he never went to any parties where I went to college.
    I read most guys have an enzyme that digests alcohol every hour but females typically do not have it. I was thinking it must have something to do with chemistry. Guys will automatically lose 1 to 2 beers an hour of alcohol an hour I believe but female bodies take forever to burn away the alcohol. I'll see if I can find a link.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    If it’s so simple; why are you asking us?

:)
  • lopaw
    9 years ago
    Not many. I'm a cheap date.
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    Ok I need to lose weight and eat less to be able to feel the alcohol faster.
    I guess everyone removes one beer an hour equivalent.
    http://prevention.gwu.edu/alcohol-absorp…
    I think if I just ate almost an entire large pizza, It would take extra beers to notice anything though.
    When I gave blood recently, I did notice some effects faster. Well I meant from giving blood. I felt tired more easily. I think beer would affect me faster if I drank beer after giving blood.
    I usually only drink 2 to 4 beers every few days or so. I have no idea how much it takes to make me feel drunk.
  • tobala
    9 years ago
    I drink so little and so far between that I can get a buzz from 3 Budweisers.
  • georgmicrodong
    9 years ago
    None. I don't drink beer. Can't stand the stuff.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    A simple question deserves a simple answer – “I don’t know”

:)
  • seaboardrr
    9 years ago
    I used to drink a TON. I could drink a case or more and still function. I rarely drink now and when I do it's a craft beer. Most beer sucks. I like stuff that actually tastes good. Hard root beer, mead, chocolate stouts, etc.... I can drink 3 or 4 in a night on occasion at home and barely even get buzzed. At the SC I usually drink about 1 crap (yes, I meant crap) beer an hour and never get buzzed. Mrs sea gets drunk after 3 drinks so I have to watch her. After 3 I have to start swapping it up and have her drink a bottle of water in between drinks and do that rotation the rest of the night or else she'll pass out with tip money in her hand.
  • londonguy
    9 years ago
    About twice as many American beers as European ones, especially British and German. Mein Gott.
  • warhawks
    9 years ago

It really depends on the beer you are drinking.

Typical Miller lite or Bud Light is around 4% alcohol wise. Many craft or thicker beers are double that amount or more, in alcohol percentage.
    Just like wine and champagne is higher in alcohol then most American "light"beer.
    So, drinking a 6 pack of Miller lite isn't the same as drinking a 6 pack of Bell's Oberon Ale, alcohol wise.
  • ilbbaicnl
    9 years ago
    I can get not-safe-to-drive drunk just by pounding down two beers. I've only been not-safe-to-walk drunk once (once was enough) back in college, and it took hard liquor.
  • just_the_nuts
    9 years ago
    Being a big mane like i am i have to crush 24 pbr just to get a buzz
  • farmerart
    9 years ago
    Many years ago when the breathalyzer was introduced in Alberta, my local pub in Calgary had an informational event (in conjunction with Calgary City Police) explaining the machine to the pub's regulars. One of the machines (+ cops to operate the machine) was set up in the pub one afternoon with the aim to show us regulars just how the machine worked. It was a very interesting few hours in that convivial old pub.

Back at that time 0.08 blood alcohol readings meant impairment in Alberta. I blew over 0.08 after my 6th beer (regular Canadian beer - 341ml bottle 5.5% alcohol content). Other patrons were drinking wine, cocktails, or straight shots. One petite waitress blew over 0.08 after just 2 glasses of red wine. 2-3 standard shots usually produced a reading over 0.08. 4-6 beers did the same.

The physical size of the drinker had much to do with alcohol consumed and the 0.08 reading. Bigger guys could consume more before being over the threshold. It was a very interesting experiment. How 'drunk or how 'sober' you felt had little relation to the machine's readings.

The impairment standard in Alberta has now been reduced to a blood alcohol reading of 0.05.
  • ATACdawg
    9 years ago
    Canadian beer is also stronger than American beer, up to about 8% if memory serves. Pass the Moosehead, eh!
  • sharkhunter
    9 years ago
    I'll try to remember to take a taxi if I ever visit Alberta.
    I thought .08 was strict.

• san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    There is only on thing about Alcoholics Anonymous which I agree with. That is, they consider only two states, sober and not sober. Any alcohol within the last 24 hours means that you are not sober.

SJG
  • ilbbaicnl
    9 years ago
    The drink prices in Canadian bars keep any American well below 0.05 no problem.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion