tuscl

OT: Any computer repair experts out there ?

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)

Lately my laptop has been freezing up at times I have to do a manual power-down and power back up.

When it freezes; I hear the fan on – IDK if this means it’s overheating or what – but once it freezes and I’m hearing the fan; all I can do is power-down and back up again and then it seems to work ok for the rest of the time.

Is my laptop just on its last legs (have had it for 4 years) or is this something common that can be remedied?

18 comments

• Tiredtraveler
    10 years ago
    clear all the garbage out of your history and cookies. They will help when you are on line.
    Plus scan and compress your hard drive.
  • GACA
    10 years ago
    Sound also like a software issue. If you are on a Windows machine you might have to restore to a point before this all started happening. Worst case you have a virus and will have to run a complete reformat and reinstall. Really...get on Linux. None of these issues.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Your asking me to look for a needle in a haystack. No thanks.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Send founder a screenshot
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    GACAclub,

Is running Linux really a practical solution for John Q Public who isn't a computer geek? I've read articles that claim in theory you can run MS Office using softwsre such as Crossover or Wine, but I'd like to hear from someone who actually runs it with a mess of issues.

In the real world people use Excel and Word and video conference with GoToMeeting etc. Is Linux really a good alternative?
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    It can in fact be an overheating problem. If a chill may doesn't help, try a new battery.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    ^ my battery *is* actually bad; would that cause a possible overheating issue (my issues occur while laptop is connected/plugged-in).

And what do you mean by a "chill" - i.e. turning it off?
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    Easy solution. Buy a Mac and never go back.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    Sorry, that was supposed to be "chill mat". Some kind of platform with fans in it to help keep it cool.

Older batteries can have a problem when charging. Especially if they're not *holding* a charge.

Your power supply might be going bad too, if the problem occurs when plugged in.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    ^ thanks

"... Older batteries can have a problem when charging. Especially if they're not *holding* a charge ..."

My battery is def bad - it only holds charge for about 30 to 45 mins when fully charged and I get "Consider replacing your battery" message on my battery icon - so maybe that's it.
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Sounds like the battery is the most likely suspect. Low run time plus overheating, which can be a problem with a lithium-ion battery that is going south - and hey Papi, you're already south!
  • AnonymousJim
    10 years ago
    Overheating is the one of, if not the, most common ways for laptops to die.

Laptops have all the same kind of circuitry in them as desktops, but in a smaller space that's either more-tightly sealed or more subject to whatever dust and junk you kick up when you're using it. And that's all with only a little fan on the side to try and keep it alive, whose vents no one ever cleans and sometimes gets caught up with hair and dust and junk.

Plus, yeah, when your battery is going bad, that energy that the battery isn't taking as a charge still has to go somewhere, so it often becomes heat. And that's bad.

All it takes is one time overheating the wrong way for a circuit or two to go in the motherboard. And at that point, you're getting a new laptop.

George hit it right on the money, though. $20 can get you a little shelf with a couple of USB-connectable fans on the bottom that will pull enough heat away from the machine to keep it safe. I make sure to have mine with me during the summer, as I have to be on mine outside on 100 degree days sometimes. Probably the best thing for you to save your laptop.
  • GACA
    10 years ago
    @Motor now that we have entered the world of cloud computing and everything is being processed server side (Office 2013 with word excel and the other mentioned ) The answer us yes. And forget wine go with VMware player. It's still free works ton better.
  • PhantomGeek
    10 years ago
    Aren't there still some major security issues with cloud-computing though?
  • GACA
    10 years ago
    I'm talking about cloud computing not as a storage but as an application processor the Excel photo shops of the world are moving to cloud services so all you need is a browser now and the underlying operating system doesn't matter as much.
  • Experimental
    10 years ago
    This is a bit late but Papi if you suspect the battery might be causing it, take it out. If the problem goes away you have your culprit, if it continues then at least you know what wasn't causing it.
  • 4got2wipe
    10 years ago
    Agree with JohnSmith69! Macs are just brilliant!
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    @ Experimental:

Yeah – I actually thought about that recently after posting this thread and getting back the feedback – I usually have my laptop plugged in but I may just go ahead and buy a new battery since it needs one anyway.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion