tuscl

Clubbing in a blizzard

rickdugan
Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
I wonder how clubbing in a blizzard would be? I will be in NYC when the blizzard hits tomorrow and Tuesday and I wonder if the clubs will be open. Clubs in outlying areas tend to shut down during heavy snow storms, but NYC clubs tend to hang in there. However, I have never been in the city proper during something as bad as Juno is expected to be, so it is certainly possible that NYC clubs will opt to shut down too.

I will be interesting to find out. :)

34 comments

• crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    You may find a snow blower at the club
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Having dealt with every kind of disaster that can happen to an airport, I can tell you one of the biggest considerations as to whether or not an airport can stay open or when it can reopen is in large part a matter of how the disaster has affected the employees. Can they even get to work?
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    Maybe there is a bouncer that wants to do some snow blowing
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    SC,

I was stuck in the Orlando airport many years ago for nearly 12 hours due to high winds. The airport was not officially closed, so flights departed and landed at the discretion of the pilot and the airlines.

Very few flights took off but occasionally one did and in a way it was frustrating to see some fights leave as I was stuck waiting.
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    Shadow, good question. Public transportation is so critical and widely used in the city that it rarely shuts down completely. But again, I have never been in the city proper during something as bad as Juno could be.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    motorhead - The maximum allowable crosswind for landing or take off is determined by demonstrated certification for each air line and air craft type. On the the day air line wants to get certified in a new aircraft, they take a look at the surface winds all over the country trying to find the highest. Montana is usually a good location. So some airlines and aircraft may have to wait while other are able to operate.

There is normally a 10 knot tailwind allowed for landing but none for take off. I once had to delay a departure at Ontario CA during one of their Santa Ana wind conditions because the wind was 85mph right down the runway. Nobody is taking off during hurricane wind conditions.
  • slickwilliam
    10 years ago
    I was supposed to be headed into NYC Tuesday pm for meetings Wednesday and cancelled and am just phoning in. Supposed to be a mess and getting into the City would just be a headache. I'm sure some dancers will be going into work (need the money); I bet Flashdancers will be open (where I would've headed, near my hotel). Give them my regards.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Don't be a pussy, RickyBoy. Just walk around.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    No surprise that an Alberta guy just might have some experience with blizzards:)

I once made a trip from Edm Int'l (YEG) to Red Deer, a distance of 120km, just as a prairie blizzard was getting underway. After finishing my business in Red Deer the blizzard was in full force so I decided to kill some time in X-Static, a SC in downtown Red Deer. You have never seen such a dead club. One virgin caesar and back to YEG for me.......blizzard be damned.

By this time the horsemen had closed Hwy #2 between Red Deer and YEG so I was forced to take some sketchy back roads to return to YEG. My trusty F-150 4X4 got me back to YEG safely even with the blizzard continuing to roar. No surprise to find that YEG is closed for the duration of the blizzard........heavy snow, 90km winds, wind chills in the -40sC, whiteout visibility.

No choice but to take a room in a crappy highway motel in Nisku. When in Nisku the Rig Pig club is the only place to go. The old joint was packed with stranded oil patch guys like me. A serious party vibe was underway. The strippers were making serious coin with their excellent stage shows (no lap dances at the Rig Pig). The party atmosphere was not even spoiled when the bar ran out of two popular brands of beer and the kitchen ran out of chicken wings and ribs. Last call found the place still packed wall-to-wall with oil patch drunks. It was one of my rowdiest, happiest nights in a SC. By some miracle not a single fight broke out the entire evening. And that is really saying something about the Rig Pig which is a little 'rough around the edges', shall we say.

I paid for it the next morning on the flight back to the exploration camp. I swear that the DC-3 pilot bounced the landing at the camp's airstrip in an attempt to make me hurl my bellyful of Kokanee.

Good SC times can be had in the midst of a blizzard.
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    Slick, from what I'm reading, the odds are good that nothing will be landing on Tuesday, so you likely did the right thing. I had to move my flight up to make it before the storm starts.
  • Duke69
    10 years ago
    Juno who ?
  • Duke69
    10 years ago
    Baaaaaahaaaaa !!!!
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Looks pretty nice out here now. You sure this blizzard is going to be that bad?
  • JamesSD
    10 years ago
    Odds are if it's a bad storm a lot of girls will stay home to avoid it or because they don't expect customers.

If you go you're likely to get the "lone guy in a club with 3 dancers" situation. You don't mind dropping cash, so if there's something you like (a big if), she might be willing to really earn?
  • Clackport
    10 years ago
    Oh shit, Dougster is living in NYC now? Dugan and Dougster have to meet up, I would pay to see that lol.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Seems inevitable me and RickyBoy bump into each other in the clubs at some point now. :-)
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Just heard this storm could break the snowfall record in NYC. ~ 26 inches
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Good thing I'm originally from Scandanavia. Bring it! :-)
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    FINLAND IN PARTICULAR! Brrrrr.....
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    People getting ready to make lots of French Toast
  • Josh43
    10 years ago
    Troll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll
    Wikipedia
    A troll is a supernatural being in Norse mythology and Scandinavian folklore.

(Sorry, Dougster. Couldn't resist)
  • minnow
    10 years ago
    Rick- Mons Venus in Tampa is reputed to have stayed open, even in a hurricane, though the hurricane(s) in question there then weren't as bad as the initial landfall places.
    Even if club did stay open, there remains the question of how many dancers would show up.

Further digression: Teddy Roosevelt (26th U.S.President) walked to an appointment he had with someone during the infamous NYC 1888 Blizzard. TR was PO'd that the guy no showed . Are you going to be a Teddy Roosevelt, Rick?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Which club you planning on going to, RickyBoy?
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    Dougster and I missed each other by a night. It looks like he was in G2K on Saturday "evening" while I was there last night.

Dougster, what time did you arrive at the club? You mentioned evening, but security and the door charge usually both kick in at the same time, so I was confused as to how you got the hands-on frisk treatment, but went in without a cover.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Think it was around 7:30-8:15 pm.

That gonna be your only visit this trip?
  • deogol
    10 years ago
    Dougster, olet kotoisin Suomessa! Me too!
  • Mate27
    10 years ago
    Juno how to run "the system"?
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    "That gonna be your only visit this trip?"

Probably. Between the blizzard and workload I doubt I'm going to get back out on this trip.
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    The first question is bow moot anyway. I called a few of my favorite Queens clubs to learn that they are either closing early or not opening at all. I have no interest in clubbing in Manhattan and I'm not interested in hiking to other boroughs and rolling the dice on new clubs in this shitty weather, so I guess I'm just going to have to stay in and be productive tonight.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Streets close at 11pm.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    Damn – not even a dangerous blizzard can keep many of us PLs away – when is enough enough :)
  • rickdugan
    10 years ago
    Not only the roads are being shut down in NY. The subway system and buses are also being shut down at 11pm, which almost never happens. They didn't even shutdown the subways during Irene or Sandy, except of course in places where the lines were floaded.
  • Cheo_D
    10 years ago
    Heh... during the not-really-SO-bad snowstorm a few years ago when Bloomberg however did not launch the necessary response in time, so things got tied up, Cheetah's on 42d St. Pulled a stunt with their gals shoveled their piece of sidewalk in fur coats and high heeled boots... and topless under the furs (remember, you can be topless in public in NYC). Made for some nice pics for the hardier tourists.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Our public transportation is wimpy nowadays. I remember as a kid I got out of school early one time riding a bus back home because it was one of the worst blizzard outbreaks in years. The snow was already blowing horizontal. Temperature alone was minus twenty. That was the only day I remember getting out of school early in Ohio. In the South, any snow day is like a national holiday. I also remember walking through snow drifts in our yard that went up to my chest. Of course the southern states have almost no snow plows. They just wait for it to melt on all secondary roads.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion