tuscl

Two Minute Hate

MrDeuce
Illinois
jerikson40's recent discussion titled "Respects to Alucard" made me think of the last TUSCL member to arouse as much vitriol as jerikson40 seems to do, especially on the part of certain well-known trolls: Alucard himself. The whole "Let's hate Alucard! Let's hate jerikson40!" phenomenon reminds me of the Two Minute Hate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Minutes…

in Orwell's "1984". Such hatred directed at a particularly outspoken or perhaps idiosyncratic member of a community is an example of mob behavior and is, I think, best avoided. I have a much bigger problem with the trolls, who attack the same few people over and over in the same unvarying ways, and the morons, who post their inanities incessantly until they flame out or are banned, than I do with interesting individuals such as jerikson40 or the late Alucard.

In the words of that great philosopher Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"

6 comments

• mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Actually, this is more like the ending to "Frankenstein". The town folk (average Tuscl members), drive away the monster (Jerikson or Alucard), with torches and pitchforks, cuz they didn't like the inanities of said monster.

Another great analogy
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    ^^^yes
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    A difference between "two minutes hate" and the Alucard/jerikson40 hate is that the former is top down whereas the latter is bottom up.

Alucard was a funny duck. I used to think he was trolling everybody. To some degree he was -- I'm sure he knew what his "ban all guns" posts would elicit. But there was also a sincerity about his posts. He was an incredibly "real" guy. A weirdo, but i like weirdos. We're all weird in our own way. I'm glad I apologized to him and we exchanged emails before he passed.

jerikson is opinionated, but I don't have any desire to throw hate his way. I may say shit about the brown eye when he goes on one of his "who would ever want anal" rants. But that's in good fun.

At a certain point if a person repeats shit that you don't like just put them on ignore or admit you like giving them shit. I respect the fact the people dig giving jerikson shit -- their prerogative -- but they should admit to themselves that they enjoy pokin' jerikson in the eye. Show the dude enough respect to attack him to his face.

There are only a few real psychos on this site. Troll Defense HQ was funny for 5 minutes but I put him on ignore when he posted some shit about Dougster. I wasn't offended by him attacking Dougster -- Dougster can talk care of himself -- but the post about Dougster sounded like TDHQ having a rape fantasy. That's when I was out of the game. BonesBrother's racism and Slaux_pas's repetitiveness got them spots on my ignore list. Other than that I don't ignore anybody right now.

Possible that TDHQ, Slaux_pas, and Bonesbrother are the same dude. If so my ignore list is only one.

• JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    The world would be an incredibly boring place if we all just got along. It would be like we were all Hare Krishnas chanting and playing tambourines all day. I'll take some conflict instead thank you very much.

However, I don't hate jerikson. To the contrary, I'm glad he's here because he makes the place much more entertaining and enlivening.

But if you are suggesting that we should respect jerikson, I could never do that. I can't respect a guy (ok I'll give him the benefit of the doubt just this once and call him a guy) who is so consistently whinny, cheap, illogical, and bizarre.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Citing 1984 seems like it should be even a step beyond losing by citing Nazis per Godwin's Law.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Well just as we have rickdugan who adds value by being a textbook case of narcissistic personality disorder, we have jerikson40 who is classic passive-aggressive personality disorder. But we already had jestie214 for that, so I'm not sure having two textbook examples adds much value over just one.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion