tuscl

Off topic: Eating Better

Saturday, January 3, 2015 11:51 AM
So the new year is upon us, and I thought, maybe I should try to eat a little better going forward. It seems that trying to go from a diet filled with salty snacks and fatty foods to one that is high in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables is nearly impossible. It would almost seem as if the body goes into withdrawal. I need to try to do this for health reasons, but it's going to be quite a bit tougher than it seems. *sigh*

35 comments

• mikeya02
    10 years ago
    You also get to eat chicken and fish. No fast food and no junk food. I noticed eating healthy can be expensive
  • IronFox22
    10 years ago
    Tuna is a good compromise. Lots of protein. No fat.
  • IronFox22
    10 years ago
    One of the main problems is all the food additives in the fast food stuff are designed to be addictive. So when you stop eating it, you feel sluggish/out of it.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Tuna salads are a good way of eating your veggies. Lots of chewing tho.....
  • deogol
    10 years ago
    Type II Diabetes is expensive too. If you're out of fast food for a while, the sluggishness goes away. Then when you go back for a bite, you're like "I ate this junk?" The good food is more expensive, but better filling. The cheap food might seem better, but believe me, some MBA has been exercising every dime out of it - you end up paying the same AND getting fat.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    As the saying goes – “you are what you eat” A lot of people focus on eating less to lose weight – what’s more important is eating *well* meaning eating qualify foods high in nutrients which have a healing and energetic effect on the body. Unless you eat a good amount of salmon for example; you might consider taking a *quality* Omega-3 supplement – Omega-3s are *essential* meaning the body can’t produce them itself so they have to come from the diet or a good supplement. Don’t buy the cheap Omega-3 – by a quality one high in EPA & DHA – quality Omega-3 supplements will not have harmful impurities – also a quality Omega-3 supplement will have a combined EPA/DHA content of at least 2000 mg.
  • ime
    10 years ago
    Check out the Dolce diet it's not as strict as Paleo or any of that stuff but it will help you feel a lot better. He is the guy the top MMA guys go to when they need to get in top shape.
  • IronFox22
    10 years ago
    This is part of my problem. I've been skinny all my life, but now that I'm getting older, I'm starting to develop a small gut. Gotta nip it in the bud if possible. I'm gonna start cooking stuff in bulk--lots of bean chilis, etc.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Also, put fruit in your oatmeal or cheerios for breakfast. Good way to eat fruits
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    All good suggestions on here. I am trying to eat healthier also. I agree with quitting fast food can make you feel sluggish. Stick with it and dont eat it. You will wonder how you ate that poison. If you eat healthier your body gets the nutrition it needs and that alone cuts down on cravings for junk food etc. You may also try a detox program to get rid of a lot of the junk in your system. That may help with the fast food withdrawls also.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    Eat lots of berries. Dark ones. These will help fight diseases like cancer
  • IronFox22
    10 years ago
    And if you handle it, leafy greens: Spinach, Kale, Mustard greens, etc. Powerhouse foods.
  • JohnSmith69
    10 years ago
    I plan to eat more ds pussy. No calories, great returns.
  • alabegonz
    10 years ago
    Dang it, just like what I said yesterday night to my dancer who was texting me so bad she wanted to see me. I told her while we were in booth "C'mon babe lemme go down halfway between the belly button and your V" Shit that was awesome.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    "And if you handle it, leafy greens: Spinach, Kale, Mustard greens, etc. Powerhouse foods." Put all that stuff in the blender with some fruit so you dont taste it as much. Get frozen berries and make a smoothie with milk or coconut/almond milk .
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I like baby spinach with hot bacon dressing. Does that still count?
  • gawker
    10 years ago
    If you are what you eat then I'm a pussy. Better than a PL I guess.
  • mjx01
    10 years ago
    Almond & cashew trail mix! I was into pistachios for awhile, but realized those cost twice as much for half the amount of almond & cashew trail mix. Peanut butter is another option, some brands have added omega-3's. Note exactly 'low calorie' but can help quench the hunger for a stack in moderation.
  • tobala
    10 years ago
    I eat white meats and fish with leafy greens ( collards, turnips, broccoli, and brussel sprouts, luckily I actually like all the above) . Dodge sugary stuff and stop drinking soda drinks. I've lost 40 pounds since August. Good luck!
  • shailynn
    10 years ago
    A lot of people have given great advice - but here's 2 things that I would highly recommend, neither may not pertain to you but thought I would give it a shot. 1. Quit drinking regular soda immediately. The experts say you cut that out you'll automatically lose 12lbs in 1 year alone. 2. I travel A LOT and it's hard for me to eat healthy on the road. Airports, fast food joints and hotels severely limit my options. I once lost 12lbs in under 2 months by having lunch 6 days a week at Chik Fil Et. I would get the grilled chicken, fruit (instead of fries) and dip my chicken in the buffalo sauce which had no fat and barely any calories. The next best choice is there BBQ sauce. I would then eat a sensible and healthy dinner. I eliminated chocolate and anything fried from my diet. For a snack at night I would have an egg and a slice of plain low calorie whole wheat toast / or a few tortilla chips and salsa / or frozen yogurt (make sure the serving is under 100 calories - some froyo can be more fattening than ice cream) / or popcorn. Stay away from Subway unless you're getting a salad, all the carbs in the bread kills ya and the wraps are even worse than the bread.
  • tobala
    10 years ago
    Also something a little easier: don't eat 5 to 6 hours before going to bed at night (unless it's pussy, then it's ok. No calories)
  • luv_women
    10 years ago
    Stay away from, or at least limit, foods that are packaged with big letters saying "eat me I'm healthy". If you intuitively know that the packaged garbage isn't good for you, then the don't be seated by misleading marketing. The more the package says" healthy food inside ", the more likely it's not that healthy. For instance, check out Krave in the cereal aisle. Instead go for foods you know to be healthy. There's no need to market apples, etc.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Good point. Learn to read labels. Quite simple actually. If it has a label don't eat it.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    ^^^^^^^ Best advice here........'If it has a label don't eat it.' Thinking about my own eating habits, the only packaged products that I consume regularly are bread and rice.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Speaking of eating... 20 minute video, but I couldn't stop watching. Interesting info! [view link]
  • deogol
    10 years ago
    [view link] has a ton of interesting videos. well, if you're horny, they won't help, but otherwise...
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    ^^^Agreed!
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @Dougster: Sound advice indeed. I've had a great deal of success by cutting carbs down to a bare minimum. *All* carbs, even the so called "good" ones. My doctor was unsupportive at first, then when all my numbers, weight, BP, lipids, blood sugar, started heading in the right direction, he didn't believe that i was actually eating what I said I was (meat, fat and veggies), then grudgingly accepted that it worked. For *me*.
  • mjx01
    10 years ago
    drink water instead of basically anything else with calories in it.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Isn't the long-term key, really, eat (almost) anything, but in moderation. The fad diet a few years ago was the Atkins diet. But it really seemed a crazy idea that you could eat all the sausage and bacon you wanted but you better not get near a piece of fruit. Or a vegetable high in carbs - peas, carrots, potatoes.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    @Motorhead: It works for me. :)
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    @ clubber. That video was very interesting
  • jvTroop
    10 years ago
    I've lost 50 pounds eating fresh fruits and steamed veggies...most strippers have increased their mileage and lowered prices since im sexy slash healthy eeerrrr
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    George, I'm glad it worked. Perhaps I should try it. I need to do something. My boss tried it a few years back and he did lose weight but the 'no fruit' thing seemed odd. That is what turned me off.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    It's not "no fruit," nor is it "no carb." The initial "induction" period, for those who are more than some number of pounds overweight, is to cut down to no more than some small number of carbs per day (I forget the exact numbers, but they're low). Then lose weight, and raise the carb count back up until you're neither gaining nor losing. And it's not "all the sausage and bacon you can eat," either. :) There's a limit based on your base metabolic rate. Protein and fat have calories as well, and they still count, just not quite as, ahem, heavily as those from carbs.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion