tuscl

Do most dancers set their own work hours?

Monday, February 21, 2005 4:11 AM
I was just wondering why in the clubs I have visited do some dancers come in later in the night while others come in early. Seems like some girls will work a 7 or 8 hour shift while others only work 5 or 6hours in a shift. I went to see this one dancer who had changed clubs. She told me what days she would be working at the clubs but she didn't tell me what time she would get there. I was there for about a good hour before she got there and still didn't get to say much to her because she had ran off to do a private dance for someone. I got up and left because I was already bored and didn't want to wait around in a club I didn't care to be in. To me it seems like the dancers who are the "Money Makers" can come in when they want to do so while the "average" dancer or newbies are the one who are the when the clubs first opens at night or the evening. I know some of the dancers might have situations where they have to stay with the kids unitl a babysitter can get to there house but I think some of them don't want to be sitting around when the club isn't busy they would rather come in at 9:30 or 10:00 when the club is getting crunked up. Should dancers who don't have kids have a say so in the hours they can or cannot work? We don't in the "real world" have a say in the hours we work unless we have another job or are in school and that's only on certian jobs that are willing to work with you.

5 comments

• kitana007
    19 years ago
    Yes we usually do get to set our own schedules. I usually work 3 nights and 2 days a week. Most clubs that have a day and night shift you will sell what you guys are talking about. I don't know about evey club out there; but all the ones I have worked at the girl gets to make her own hours within reason. Kitana
  • dragman
    19 years ago
    SC, right you are! Hell, it might be easier if when men are born, we just sign all future possessions, dreams, earnings, and freedom over to the oppisite sex. They seem to end up with it anyway. But, I guess the "dance" is worthy of the cost. In my eyes, it is the only real time where men can actually get what they want since there is no loser in a fare exchange. Women, can't live with'em, can't live with'em
  • DandyDan
    19 years ago
    It's my impression at my favorite club, they seem to come and go as they please. It's weird, because I'll show up, they got maybe 8 dancers, and then a couple hours later, they still got 8 dancers, but 3 of them are the originals and 5 are new. It's also my impression that most clubs are not like that, that they have a set schedule they have to follow.
  • dragman
    19 years ago
    Being a former GM, this is the toughest part of the job. You have to be firm and not let the girls do as they please but at the same time, you have to be careful not to piss them off. The good ones know they can take there "talents" anywhere else and there customers to. It is true that without them, nothing goes in the register. But does the tail wag the dog or vice versa.
  • Yoda
    19 years ago
    JPAC: What you are talking about here is just one more reason why some women choose to dance for a living. Flexibility. Some clubs do have a "middle" shift where you can work from say, 3 to 11 instead of to closing. In most cases however, the dancer is paying a fine to the club for coming in late. For many, it's because they are coming from another job or waiting for a sitter. For others, they just prefer to pay the fine and not have to hang out when the club is dead.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion