tuscl

OT: Travel Tips from the CDC

Saturday, October 11, 2014 3:55 AM
Avoid nonessential travel to Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone. If you must travel, please make sure to do the following: Before your trip check your health insurance plan and benefits to learn what is covered in the event that you become ill. CDC recommends that anyone traveling to countries where outbreaks of Ebola are occurring have full coverage, including coverage for emergency medical evacuation. Practice careful hygiene. For example, wash your hands with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Avoid contact with blood and body fluids (such as urine, saliva, sweat, feces, vomit, and semen). Do not handle items that may have come in contact with an infected person’s blood or body fluids. Avoid direct contact with the body of someone who has died from Ebola, including participating in funeral or burial rituals. Avoid contact with animals (such as bats or monkeys) or with raw or undercooked meat. Do not eat or handle bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food). Avoid hospitals in West Africa where Ebola patients are being treated. Seek medical care immediately if you develop fever (101.5°F / 38.6°C or higher) or other symptoms such as severe headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, or unexplained bleeding or bruising. Limit your contact with other people when you travel to the doctor. Do not travel anywhere else. [view link]

12 comments

• mikeya02
    10 years ago
    What's funny is that the CDC actually has to point this stuff out to people. Don't forget to practice safe sex!
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    OMG! OMG! Between Ebola and the economic collapse that steve229 and jerkoffson40 are predicting we are DOOMED... DOOMED!
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    How appropriate that the first tip was about insurance. Not safety precautions. It's all about money. Everything is about money.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    motorhead: "Everything is about money. " Now you're starting to understand.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    I'm trying. TUSCL is my best source for economic information.
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    Well, I for one have to say that the CDC warning was helpful. I was planning a vacation to try all of the best strip clubs in Liberia until they issued the warning. #ebola.stripper Now my plan is a tour of Thailand, focusing on as much unprotected anal as possible with the least expensive ladyboys I can find. That should be safe, sane, and economical.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Zipman Have you ever read the reviews of African strip clubs. I forget which one, but once you're in, they bolt the door shut and an armed guy stands at the door. Lol
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    I guess in Africa, you need a different type of protection
  • Cheo_D
    10 years ago
    To be fair, it shows refreshing realism on the part of CDC to have their second (after the very sound and obvious "Come on, don't go there, man") line of advice be: "Um, dude, you know your health insurance may NOT pay for airlifting you to the Special Isolation ICU in America if you catch some nasty shit in Africa?" Because for a LOT of our general public, only THAT will focus their mind.
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    motor sez: "How appropriate that the first tip was about insurance. Not safety precautions. It's all about money. Everything is about money" True, but in this case I'm not sure that's what's driving it. I assume that one of the more important issues in preventing the spread of this shit is prompt medical treatment (they mention evacuation, etc). So if you have medical insurance and it's up to date, you're more likely and able to handle an outbreak quickly and effectively. The worst thing is "aw, fuck, I can't afford to go to the doctor so I'll just hope it goes away".
  • warhawks
    10 years ago
    Seriously, who the hell travels to Liberia, Guinea, or Sierra Leone anyways??? Do they even have an airport in those countries? How the hell would you even get in or out of such a place to begin with?
  • IanSmith
    10 years ago
    ^^^^^ Many people go there. I’ve been to 3 out of 3 in search of fortune with some success. The intensity of violence may wax and wane but it never goes away and life has no value at all. FWIW pussy can be had for the price of a meal or less. The normal course of outbreaks like this is to isolate areas as best as they can, and either treat with a cure or more commonly let the virus die out or go dormant from lack of new hosts. Refugees and more and more road infrastructure make this strategy unworkable for the most part these days. Read the terms of your medical evacuation insurance carefully. You normally have to pay a high premium for coverage of travel in war zones or areas without a functioning government. Exclusions for biological contagions and such are almost a certainty unless you buy specified and very expensive coverage.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion