tuscl

For those of you who have been to Adelita Bar and Hong Kong in Mexico. . .

Before you say to read the reviews, I HAVE read the reviews previously. I just want clarification. Do you need a passport to go into Mexico or to get out? Have any of you been a victim of a crime of any type while you were over there? If so, what happened? I am currently in San Diego and am tired of the $100+ VIP air dances. I know from reading the reviews of the before mentioned clubs that it MIGHT be worth crossing the border for extras? Obviously, I am very uncomfortable with going into another country for even a few hours. I have only been in Mexico once before and did not attend a strip club then. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. . .

15 comments

• jackslash
    10 years ago
    You need a passport.
  • davejones1978
    10 years ago
    Okay thanks
  • wwpmi
    10 years ago
    you don't need a passport to get into Mexico at the TJ boarder crossing but officially you need one to get back into the states. I have read on an other site (tjamigos) that some have crossed over with a drivers licenses.
    I have never had an issue with crime but I do not stay late into the night or early morning. If you go take a cab ($5) from the crossing to Hong Kong and back.
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    If someone used a drivers license to cross the border I suspect it was an enhanced license -- one that doubles as proof of citizenship. They are only issued by some states. Only state I'm 100% sure of is NY, as I have many friends and relatives there and one told me she had such a license. However, I think Michigan issues and I assume California does too.

Standard DL won't work.
  • Tiredtraveler
    10 years ago
    Better to have a passport. There is a form that you can get and have done that will serve.
  • pensionking
    10 years ago
    I have heard of a US Passport Card which is supposed to be cheaper and quicker to obtain. Its use is limited to Mexico, Canada, Caribbean and travel by land or sea (ie., excludes international travel by air).. It fits in your wallet. Be sure to write and describe your visit so we can live vicariously through you.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passport…
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    As “wwpmi” mentioned; tjamigos.com is a site for TJ mongers; I imagine you can find some solid info there.

w.r.t. safety – IMO it looks like one is less safe in many a large U.S. city. It seems many Americans especially from SoCal go to TJ all the time especially teenagers since the drinking age there is lower and probably less enforced overall.

TJ like anything else is not zero risk – but plenty of TUSCLers go there as is obvious from all the reviews and I’m yet to hear anyone coming back with a story of woe. Of course one needs to take precautions; but so if you plan to SC in Detroit or other areas.
  • silkypants
    10 years ago
    How desperate are you davejones? You don't need anything to get into Mexico in fact the less you have the better. Getting back to the US can be a problem without a passport. If you are really desperate for some TJ action you can go across the border in the evening, have some fun in TJ and then come back to the US border and explain to the border agent how you are an american citizen I would like back into the US.

Best option is to have a passport but people get passports and ID's stolen all the time and still have to cross back into the US.
  • occurious
    10 years ago
    If all you are looking for is extras why bother to go through all of that hassle and potential safety concerns? Drive 90 minutes north to OC or LA and you can find plenty of extras clubs. You could even take the train if you don't want to drive and then take a cab.
  • davejones1978
    10 years ago
    What clubs north of San Diego give good extras?
  • nemesisk7
    10 years ago
    If you look gay don't go
  • bkkruined
    10 years ago
    The passport card is cheaper than the full blown passport, and advertised as good pretty only for Canada and Mexico on the land border crossings (i.e. San Ysidro).
    Main advantage is really that, it's small durable, like a drivers license. A normal passport book doesn't really lend much confidence to being stuffed in your back pocket while you chase tail all night around bars in Mexico (although the passports are a bit more durable than most people assume). It's like carrying around a 3x5 book with about 20 pages in your pocket all night, the card is much more convinient.
    They use the same application, and can get both at the same time.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Passports? We don't need no estinkin" passports. Vamonos amigos.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    “… What clubs north of San Diego give good extras …”

Read the reviews for “Tropical Lei”
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    I'll disagree somewhat with occurious....

Yeah, you can make the trip from San Diego to the LA area to visit some clubs, but in practice that's a big fucking pain. Forget driving unless you want to worry about hitting Orange County traffic at rush hour, which is pretty much most of the day. And you'll have to do that both ways....uggghhh....

Yeah, you can take Metrolink or Amtrak, and it's a nice trip, but it can also be a pain getting around after you get off the train, and having to schedule your trips. Yeah, you can do taxi, but again that's a pain. This isn't NYC where there are taxis zipping by constantly. The best mileage place in the LA area are City of Industry, which is nucking futs to get to by train. You have to go to downtown LA first, then another train to Industry, but they don't run on weekends as I recall. A huge pain. Same with Upland (Tropical Lei) I believe.

Personally, I'd highly recommend going to TJ. Get a passport, and just do it. It's an incredible experience, especially Hong Kong. You won't find anything comparable in the LA area, especially considering the prices. Just hop a taxi direct after you hit the border, and don't go walking around by yourself. Don't worry dude, have fun.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion