tuscl

O.T. Shocking Pop Culture Disclosure

Superman is Canadian.

The Superman character was created in 1933 by writer, Jerry Siegel, and artist, Joe Shuster. Metropolis was based on Shuster's home town, Toronto, and The Daily Planet was patterned after Shuster's employer, The Toronto Star. The character was sold to Detective Comics in 1937.

I remember that a Superman movies was shot in Calgary in the 1970s. Who knew that Superman was just returning to the country of his creation?

Superman is Canadian?..........who knew? We're everywhere.

Sheesh!

19 comments

• shadowcat
    10 years ago
    Why does Superman wear tights and his underwear over his clothes? Because he is Canadian. Actually he didn't exactly have a choice about what he got to wear. His foster mother Martha Kent knitted the longjohns out of indestructible yarn she got by unweaving his baby blankets that he was wrapped in when he came from Krypton. So blame it on her.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Nice try Farmer. In no time flat, Metropolis turned into a reference to New York City; and yes, Superman stood for truth, justice, and the American way.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Actually Farmer, I think it's cool you know of Superman
  • SuperDude
    10 years ago
    According to the credits the farm of Jonathan and Martha Kent in Smallville was filmed on location in Alberta, Canada.
  • SuperDude
    10 years ago
    That was in the movie "Superman" starring the late Christopher Reeves.
  • PhantomGeek
    10 years ago
    Last I remember, Siegel and Schuster were high school students in Cleveland, Ohio when they created Superman. And the reason they did the underwear-on-the-outside thing was because they patterned the costume after that of circus acrobats.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    Superman Canadian? Farcical.

Wolverine, however, is definitely Canadian, having been born in the Northwest Territories.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    The only TRUE Canadian Super-Hero is Dudley Do-Right
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    If farmerart is TUSCL's Dudley Do-Right, who is our Snidley Whiplash?

Oh, wait, never mind...
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    So PhantomGeek...you "remember" that Siegel and Schuster were high school students in Cleveland Ohio when they wrote Superman? Wow, good memory!!

Or maybe Wikipedia helped jog your memory?
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    farmerart as a horseman, steve229?

Yuck! The horsemen are not universally revered out here in western Canada.
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    Calm down everybody.

Superman is totally Canadian! That truth, justice, and the American way...BS. Supes is a groovy dude who stands for justice, but the American way is a white lie told to American idiots.

How do I know Superman is Canadian? Well, Che told me that the Canadian medical system will fucking KILL you. So, logically, it would take a super human to survive in Canada.

Meanwhile, in America, we coddle the inferior. All the while the crafty Canadians have been breeding an army of super humans. Problem is that they're too damn polite to invade and tell America to stop being such a douche.

Well, I for one welcome our new Canadian overlords! Please invade America and run us properly. But kick Harper out first. K THX BYE!
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Zip, please adhere to the facts. Superman was born on the planet Krypton. He was taught Truth, Justice and the American way by Ma and Pa Kent. Everyone knows that.....lol
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    That's what the Canadians WANT you to think Mikey-dude. Canada IS Krypton. You see, Canadians are a race of superhumans but they are so polite and just plain nice that they don't want to make Americans feel inferior. So they are dropping clues into our pop culture.

in 100 years they will reveal themselves as the benevolent overlords of humanity. This will usher in an era of justice, peace, and prosperity for all mankind.

Want proof? Consider Neil Peart. Could a normal human drum like that? How about Geddy Lee. Could a mere mortal sing like that while simultaneously playing bass and keyboards?

Rush RULZ!!!
  • slaux_pas
    10 years ago
    SHOCKING GEOGRAPHY DISCLOSURE!

Canada is in North America and that makes Canadians – wait for it – Americans.
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    ^^^
    Nope. The border is actually a wormhole. They are Kryptonians.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Canada is too cold for super heroes.

They don't wear coats.
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    But Mo-head, Canadians are super-tough. I bet Art goes outside in January wearing only a jockstrap.

Joking aside, Mrs. Zip visited Alberta in Feb about 5 years ago. The woman at immigration made her pull out the coat she packed because she was worried she'd get cold. (Once again, goes to my assertion that Canadians are uber-nice)
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    So, did you all know that stately Wayne manor in the latest episode and one previous one is actually Webb Institute, a four-year college that teaches naval architecture and marine engineering, the smallest fully accredited college in the USA. Until 1948 it was one of the Pratt estates when Webb moved there from the Bronx. It's also my alma mater!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion