tuscl

OT:Youth Sports I

Saturday, September 27, 2014 8:13 PM
Today is a good day. It's like a repeat of last Saturday. Last Saturday was an intense day of youth sports for my family. Today was some more of the same. One niece who plays soccer shut out one half as a goalie, scored as a midfielder, and set up the assist on another goal. After that game, another niece who plays softball hit two homers, played catcher for the whole game, and threw out a base runner. I don't know how many of y'all have kids, grand kids, nieces and nephews or younger siblings. If you do and they play youth sports, go out there and support them. It's hella fun yelling on the sidelines. The kids love it. Y'all remember when it was us out there. When you're a kid, it's about the game and only the game. I've lucked out and have had many nieces and nephews who were both competitive and athletic. It's been amazing watching them go from t-ball to travel ball, white belt to black, Pop Warner to JV, and even a 2 time tennis MVP. Sometimes it can get hectic and crowded with 2-5 games a Saturday but what the fuck, they're only kids once. We'll have strippers for a long, long time.

9 comments

• motorhead
    10 years ago
    I hear you Mr. Slick. I don't have any kids of my own, but I've really enjoyed watching others. Some of my cousin's daughters have been involved in softball and I watched them from Little League thru high school and the summer traveling leagues. One even went on to play in college. Sometimes when I'm watching a game on a summer nite, I think this is better than MLB.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Ain't that the truth. Friday Night Lights, real and TV, is still a fun night. Watched a good game two weeks ago. Seen one old classmate. I left feeling like a champ.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Good one Slick. Watching kids play sports is great.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    A little ot, but as a kid it was great listening to Dodger games on the transistor radio. I remember Scully announcing...." ..and there's a long fly ball to centerfield field. Back goes Mays... a way back.... to the warning track...to the wall...Its gone ...Homerun!"
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Just heard from my eldest sister that my 10 year old nephew won his very first judo competition. Once this kid gets into wrestling, Jesus! Watch out.
  • gawker
    10 years ago
    One of the dangers of organized youth sports is when parents live their lives vicariously through their kids' sports. Over involvement and pushing kids to achieve when he or she may not really be interested or motivated can lead to problems. Encouragement and support are good but finding the happy medium is key. Moderation in all things ( except strip clubs).
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    "Moderation in all things ( except strip clubs)." ...and ATFs!
  • KIL0
    10 years ago
    I watch my boys play youth football
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Slick, Getting a bit off topic, but there's been a lot of discussion lately about the baseball/softball traveling leagues. Mostly negative. Parents are forcing kids to choose ONE sport to concentrate on. They see that college scholarship worth $100k or more. But most college coaches say they prefer the kid that has played multiple sports not just baseball for 12 months. Basketball and football (Or tennis, soccer etc) develops different sets of motor skills and muscle groups. So they what the diversity. Also, that's one of the theories as to why the percentage of blacks in MLB has fallen to under 10 percent. I have first hand knowledge that the traveling leagues can be very, very expensive. So the affluent suburban white kids play baseball while the inner city blacks play basketball. Anyway, it's gotten way more complicated than when I played. I rode my bike to games in the daytime. No parents in the stands. No concessions. No 8-diamond complexes. It's changed.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion