tuscl

Offtopic NASA invents EM drive, could enable travel to a nearby star system in o

I said I would post a link in another thread.
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014…

Apparently this will dramatically cut down the cost of space travel. I guess it means they won't need to haul tons of fuel into space either. Astronaus could travel to Mars in weeks instead of months.

On the other thread, I was wondering if this continuous thrust could build up to be a very powerful explosive force if it could build up and be released in one powerful punch. I guess it could if someone developed a weapon this tiny thrust could act upon creating a super massive potential explosion with another substance that needed a trigger to go off. Fortunately I didn't get hired to create ideas for explosives companies. I just had an idea for explosives using nano materials.

What do you think about the new engine drive? Good news I think.

8 comments

• sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Should be NASA tests EM drive and discovered it works, not invented. Lol, when the Chinese said it worked, western scientists thought it was propaganda.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    30 years? Do you think we can get Delta to serve a full can of Diet Coke on the flight?
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    "...according to the law of conservation of momentum, it cannot work."

Sort of like, According to the laws of physics, bumble bees and C5's can't fly, at least I've been told that.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Why wait shark? According to Major Ed Dames remote viewers are looking at Mars right now. You could be one of them.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Hopefully this new device is better than Tang cause that shit sucks.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    Science is littered with devices that violated the laws of physics, only to be shown that they weren't what they seemed. Remember when the Swiss said they had a particle that went faster than light a few years ago? Then they found a flaw in their measuring system.

I think this is an interesting experiment and maybe an important discovery about the nature of the fabric of spacetime....but I doubt it.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    Actually NASA didn't invent it, the concept has been around for a while. They've just now performed a test that shows that it *might* work. A little. Based on principles not previously known, and still not very well understood.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    Actually JPL put my name and over 140,000 others on some chips and one is on Mars. If the number happens to be 144,000, then I expect aliens will come round us up for trespassing and then wipe out everyone else. I hope they treat law breakers well. I happen to live in the same town as someone with my same first and last name. If I hear the other me was killed, I'm running for it. :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion