tuscl

WTF: Robin Williams

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Robin Williams dead from apparent suicide.

A comic genius. I'm in shock.

42 comments

• jester214
    10 years ago
    Yep, petty damn crazy.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    Damn – I def did not see that coming
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    I hate to see it. I have seen it coming. He has been battling depression, drugs, booze and feeling like he isn't on his top game for awhile now.

Very sad..... very sad. Was a comic genius.
  • grand1511
    10 years ago
    Some of the funniest people are the most tortured souls in real life. Just like in the strip clubs, you have to remember it's all an act.
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    No shit ???? Wow....

• Cheo_D
    10 years ago
    Shitshitshitshitshit... but yes, sometimes you can't convert the pain into creativity fast enough and it takes over. So either directly or indirectly they end up destroying themselves. Lenny Bruce, Freddy Prinze, John Belushi, etc. Just terrible...
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    Saw that. Thought it was another one of those sick hoaxes at first. Sadly, it appears not.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Terrible. One of my favorites.
  • steve229
    10 years ago
    Shazbot :(
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    That guy was in a fairly unknown dark fantasy film called "What Dreams May Come"...he did a surprisingly good dramatic role for a goofy comedy guy..great movie, though a bit too dark IMO
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    Okay I'll say it so nobody has to...

Nanoo nanoo
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    Seems amazing...the guy was 63...youd think at that age you would have conquered your demons and just settle back and live your life until you dont give a shit anymore...but at 63 ??? Damn
  • sclvr5005
    10 years ago
    Sad.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Damn. That sucks.
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    And at the risk of whatever...

Not sure I'd use "comic genius" to describe him.

I mean, as a standup he philosophy seemed to be to throw as much off-the-cuff, stream-of-consciousness stuff out there as fast as you can using a funny voice, and sooner or later something would hit. But just as often, IMO, he'd fall flat. But no worry, there was another coming along in a few seconds.

Yeah, he had some funny and silly stuff, but then there was Mork and Mindy.

Anyway, good actor, good comedian.
  • minnow
    10 years ago
    Belushi, Pryor, Kinison, John Candy, and now Robin Williams. All dead earlier than normal. All in my top 10 fave list. I've said this before, but if you think that you want to see a comic live, by all means avail yourself because they could be gone next week. I was glad that I caught George Carlin live in Vegas instead of going to a stripclub several years ago. Another fave comic of mine dead, though he died at a more "normal" age.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I thought for a second maybe I heard he was dying from cancer. Didn't see it searching for health issues except depression. Depression sounds terrible. Sad to hear he took his life.
  • DoctorDarby
    10 years ago
    He and his mentor Jonathan Winters were masters of improvisational "riffing" on any subject using a variety of voices and characters. They were at their best in live surroundings--late night talk shows were perfect--where they could use the audience, props, or just about anything to get laughs. It didn't always work, but when it did, it resulted in many "laugh till you puke" moments. RIP funny man.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Duh, what was I thinking. He's isn't a genius. I was thinking of Gabriel Iglesias
  • joker44
    10 years ago

A shock...very sad. He was a comic genius.

Struggled with alcohol and drug dependence; I believe he had an underlying bipolar spectrum disorder. Difficult to treat.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    My favorite role was him in the Birdcage. Too bad.
  • JackKash
    10 years ago
    I've been taking this in all night. I can imagine the depths of darkness one must go into to, to not find another way out. I suppose this is most shocking because having very publicly talked and joked about his demons, he seemed to have had a way to deal with them but in the end it looks like they still won out.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    Very sad
  • minnow
    10 years ago
    A little bit of trivia: I just finished watching some YT clips of the 1977 movie "Can I Do It Till I Need Glasses." In this, Robin Williams played some different roles, one of which was that of a "lead sperm". His shout to the other sperms "go back, its a blowjob" has to be a classic.
  • jerikson40
    10 years ago
    "He and his mentor Jonathan Winters were masters of improvisational "riffing" on any subject using a variety of voices and characters."

Absolutely true. Jonathan Winters was the master. And I recall he battled some mental issues. But I loved Jonathan. And yeah, a lot of times it would fall flat, but when he hit it was huge.
  • GoVikings
    10 years ago
    Sucks. He's great in many films, Good Will Hunting being one of my favorite performances of his.

• Clubber
    10 years ago
    I think it is the life style that many of his type "live". They just never have to cope with the real world like most of us do on a daily basis. When suddenly they have to, no clue what to do, so they take the cowards way out.

I feel nothing for what he did.

OK, I said it, now take your bleeding heart pot shots at me if you wish!
  • SuperDude
    10 years ago
    Is there a thin line between genius and what the rest of us call "madness?" If so, it explains the suicides of geniuses.
  • DandyDan
    10 years ago
    Absolutely sad. The first Halloween outfit I remember was being Mork from Mork and Mindy.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    SD,

I think the "thin line" hypotheses is very true. I'm not real sure my son isn't very near the "crossover point" at times.
  • Holdem2
    10 years ago
    The morning news played his Good Morning Vietnam clip. Seemed a little tasteless for a professional news service.

"Da Nang me Da Nang me.....why don't they get a rope and hang me?!"

Seriously?!? ABC morning news? His family is watching. Ouch.
  • shailynn
    10 years ago
    When I first read the news ticker I was thinking of robin thicke, I was a lot more bummed when I realized it was robin Williams
  • ATACdawg
    10 years ago
    Too sad. I never saw anything of his that I didn't at least mostly enjoy.

I think that one problem is that his brand of humor is a young person's game. When he felt his game slipping just a bit, his depression just spiraled.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Belushi, Pryor, Kinison, John Candy, and now Robin Williams. Wonder if these guys are cracking up all the angels and St. Peter.
  • DoctorDarby
    10 years ago
    @minnow. If I recall, the original "go back, its a blowjob" line was from Woody Allen's 1973 "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask." I think Tony Randall, playing the operator relaying signals from the brain to the sperm, said the line.
  • londonguy
    10 years ago
    Probably he best improviser of all time. A comic genius. He will be greatly missed on this side of the pond as well. His Scottish accent was superb ! RIP Robin
  • lopaw
    10 years ago
    It's distressing how the media is now harping on how he committed suicide - all of the details broadcast in a circus like format. It's offensive and intrusive. Yeah he was a public figure but show some respect. If they want to address his depression and if that makes people aware of the deadly repercussions it can take, then fine. There should be more attention paid to this silent killer. But to morbidly focus on every minute detail of the death scene is disgusting.
  • DoctorDarby
    10 years ago
    The latest reports that describe the circumstances (belt, chair, closet door, partially clothed, etc.)are starting to sound like autoerotic asphyxiation, which would be an accident, not suicide. Wouldn't it turn the discussion on its ear if he was trying to get off rather than check out?!
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    Bottom line, dead is dead! I don't care how or why he died, unless some one did it to him against his will. Doesn't seem to be the case.

I get upset when someone minding their own business is taken out by some idiot. As an example, a friend of mine was on his bike sitting at a stoplight. Said idiot didn't stop or slow and hit him from behind. Now my friend is gone and the idiot is still around. Don't know where, but I hope he spends his eternity burning in HELL!
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    Oops.

Anyway, I agree with Lopaw. People should some respect.

Even if it was autoerotic asphyxiation I always wonder if people that try that alone aren't acting from a dark place. It's sad that a guy that made so many folks laugh had so many problems. Any death like this you feel bad for the family.
  • zipman68
    10 years ago
    The family the guy that suffer depression. All sucks
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    zip,

Used to be, suicide was called the cowards way out. let's face it, no matter anyone's problems, they are rarely alone with them. By taking the cowards way out, they leave their "demons" to those that loved them. No sympathy from me for the coward, but rather for those left behind.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion