tuscl

Your stripper numbers, texts & pics are safe!

9 comments

• sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    This is good news for privacy. I did not think the police should be able to search the cell phones of whomever they pull over for routine traffic stops for example unless there is a valid reason to suspect other criminal activity.

Can the police access locked cell phones or tablets? Maybe if they have some apps to hack your password.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    That is great news
  • joker44
    10 years ago
    From NPR legal affairs correspondent: Police still need to obtain a warrant even if they take you into custody on probable cause of criminal activity. There are exceptions in case of imminent danger, kidnap etc.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    I'm glad it was a 9-0 decision. When the court rules 5-4 with the same 5 and same 4, they're not defining law. They're playing politics. This ruling is probably the best SC ruling in years in that respect. It firmly establishes limits on government's power to spy on its citizens.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    If it weren't so absurdly easy to obtain a warrant, or make up a reason why they didn't need one, I'd be a lot happier.

In the meantime, my phone is set to wipe.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    How about the Blackberry products? I continue to use them and insist on their use by all of my employees for corporate business. I have unshaken confidence in Blackberry's security. Do cops have the capability of breaking Blackberry's encryption codes?

My understanding is that no person or government agency has yet broken Blackberry's encryption codes. This is the prime reason why Obama and the US military continue to support Blackberry.

Anybody know if this is still true? CIA, NSA, or GCHQ will never admit to breaking into Blackberry, of course.
  • Dolfan
    10 years ago
    @farmerart - It was in the news a while back that they caved and did something to let the Indian gov decrypt back in 2010 ish. More recently, there's been rumors that at least the NSA has decrypted on-device data but nothing substantiated.

My feeling on it is, I wouldn't be surprised if it could be decrypted with enough effort but its not an easy/everyday thing. In other words, they aren't cracking it to catch someone banging strippers to get on pg4 of the local paper, but they might do it if its for a bust that makes the international news.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    If the court gets a warrant, you have to supply the info whether it's encrypted or not, or you'll go to jail for contempt. Encryption is more for corporate or personal secrets than a hedge against police searches.
  • farmerart
    10 years ago
    ^^^^^

Exactly, rockstar666.

That is why I insist on Blackberry use for all corporate communications. My industry is rife with crooks, thieves, and spies.

I do very little SC stuff on a mobile device, none at all on my Blackberry.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion