tuscl

OT: R.I.P. Chuck Noll, Tony Gwynn

minnow
Any place that interests me.
Although I'm neither a Steelers or Padres fan, I'd like to remark on both of these individuals remarkable career. There is no shortage of accolades or list of accomplishments for either gentleman. What is remarkable about both men is the longevity with one team, all the more impressive in this era of free agency and abrupt workforce career changes.

In Chuck Nolls case, he was the Steelers (PIT) head coach for over 2 decades, from 1969 to 1991. The Steelers have the best head coach stability/continuity in the league in that they have had only 3 head coaches since 1969- a span of neary 45 years. Hell, some teams have gone through more head coaches in 45 months.

In Tony Gwynn's case, he played his entire career (20 seasons) with the same team that drafted him from his college(San Diego State) hometown, the San Diego Padres. "Mr. Padre" was a fitting nickname for this outstanding baseball player and individual. RIP, and kudos to both men (and their ballclubs) for keeping them around.

8 comments

• jackslash
    10 years ago
    I'm a Steelers fan. I remember Chuck Noll and the great teams of the 70's.
  • tumblingdice
    10 years ago
    When you speak of Mr. Noll and Mr. Gwynn the word "Class" comes to mind.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    minnow,

Thing is, they weren't "in this era of free agency and abrupt workforce career changes."

Most of their careers were before that time. That in no way reduces their accomplishments. I witnessed many a great battle between two of the best Noll and Shula.
  • sflguy123
    10 years ago
    Even though I live in S FL and have never lived in Pittsburgh I'm a Steeler fan.

I got into football as a kid in the mid to late 1970's and Pittsburgh was the dominate team. As a kid you like the good team so I liked them and Miami.

As time went on I became a bigger Steeler fan and lessor Dolphin fan.

Now I'm all in Steelers #1. Steeler Nation.
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Technically, Tony Gwynn played during the free agency era. If my mind remembers correctly, Curt Flood brought about the free agency era, which is a great thing. Imagine if you had to work for the first company/person who hired you. Ouch, I'd hate that.
  • mikeya02
    10 years ago
    Gwynn was loyal, and so were the Padres. How the hell did Mays and Aaron get traded from their lifelong teams?
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    Hey, even Babe Ruth was traded.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    SS,

Wasn't then as it is now, was my point. So many change teams as contracts expire.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion