tuscl

OT: Amazon Phone?

Anyone thinking of getting one? I'm very tempted. Love my Kindle Fire HDX which it is modeled after. I'm already on AT&T and my plan let's me switch my phone at any time.

I used to feel locked into my iPhone due to my collection of iTunes songs, but with Pandora and Spotify now, not so much of an issue.

17 comments

• goonster
    10 years ago
    I'm looking pretty closely at it. I have an iPhone 5s and the fire tv box, so I can see myself getting along just fine with the fire phone.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    I'm in the market for a new phone. It's an Android phone, right?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    Yes it's Android. Here are some more details:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B00EOE0…

Probably locked down, however, so you can't necessarily run all apps unless you jailbreak it (just like the Kindle).

• georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    I've so far avoided Android phones. My two iPhones have been troopers, never a lick of trouble, and to be frank, I'll probably go with whatever they come out with this fall. But, I promised myself I'd look at other options.

The newest HTC One is sweet. A friend of mine has one, and the screen is just crystal clear. The sound is good, too.

I've been fairly impressed with some of the new Windows phones, too, so I might look at those again.
  • sclvr5005
    10 years ago
    I prefer android over apple so I'll check it out.
  • goonster
    10 years ago
    Looking at an article on mashable, it doesn't look like it'll support wearables (like fitbits, etc) out of the gate. I'm a fitbit flex user, so that kind of kills it for me until they support it. Bummer, I was really liking it.
  • gatorfan
    10 years ago
    Amazon sells a phone? why?
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    I'm going to hold off to hear the initial reviews but given what Kindle Fire was like seems these guys really know how to do hardware.

Gonna be a tough call with the iPhone 6 coming soon as well. Should also rock.
  • Dolfan
    10 years ago
    I'm not on ATT and don't want to be, so exclusive to ATT is kinda a dealbreaker. If I was on ATT, I think I'd probably gravitate to the OnePlus One.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    Re: iPhone 6

Yeah, I agree. Some nice features have been added to the OS, and I've been getting into this self-monitoring of things like blood pressure and heart rate, and it looks like iPhone will make it easier. It's really kind of motivating to see one's resting heart rate lower over time, and to feel the extra effort it takes to keep it in the zone. And if my blood pressure comes down enough, I can cut the dose on my BP med.
  • skibum609
    10 years ago
    Amazing how another useless invention for idiots gets everyone all hyped up. Wow an I p[hone, a kindle, two more pixels.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    ^^^ man, you are one cranky old man. Forget to drink your prune juice this morning?
  • goonster
    10 years ago
    Yeah, the iPhone 6 and health kit with iOS 8 may keep me in Apple land for the foreseeable future.
  • Subraman
    10 years ago
    I'd consider it if it were a standard android phone with an Amazon skin. If android is crippled in favor of Amazon apps, then it'd be a no-go for me
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    @Dougster-Haha.
  • Dougster
    10 years ago
    I decided to go with iPhone 6 Plus instead. Pretty big device compared to the 5s. We'll see if I can get used to it or have to downgrade to the regular iPhone 6.
  • georgmicrodong
    10 years ago
    My 6 is working out well. I was curious about the latest crop of Windows phones, but not enough to drop the cash on an unknown.

I was tempted for a month or so, but I'm a slave to inertia. I really like the "just works" aspect of Apple's gear, despite some of their perceived, and real, shortcomings.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion