tuscl

OT: Ban Georgia!

jester214
North Carolina
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/23/us/georgia…

We better ban Georgia quick.

In all seriousness, I'm pretty pro-gun but I always though discouraging people from carrying guns in bars was probably a good thing. Other than that I don't see much of an issue.

11 comments

• skibum609
    10 years ago
    We spend a lot of time out west and in many parts out there it doesn't even seem unusual to see people with pistols in a holster on the next bar stool. Feel safer with the drunks carrying than I do when we go to the theater in NYC.
  • dallas702
    10 years ago
    Contrary to the slant put on the facts by CNN, the small changes in the existing GA weapons carry law were mostly about fixing problems or unequal provisions in the prior law.

The prior law said nothing about carrying in unsecured areas of airports but one federal lawsuit asserted that it was OK while another seemed to claim it wasn't. (It is OK to conceal carry in airports in many states). The old law prohibited any form of carry in a place that served liquor by the drink but every other business in the state could choose whether to allow weapons in their place of business. Now restaurant, tavern and bar owners have the same right to choose as anyone else. The same for churches. Prior law had a blanket exclusion, now churches may choose to allow concealed carry and many in the state have already said they will allow worshipers to carry.

Schools are different. With the new law, Georgia school districts may choose to identify individuals (whether teachers, administrators or community volunteers) to conceal carry (with regular background checks, training and proper permit) ON school property and at school activities. It is a way to allow schools to stop the next crazy mass murder BEFORE he kills.

Overall the changes were not as dramatic as either side touted. But, I do think people in Georgia will be safer when the law kicks in in July.

• jackslash
    10 years ago
    I have a concealed pistol permit, but Michigan does not allow you to carry in a bar or while you have been drinking. So I'm not armed in the strip club.
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    I've never heard a problem with a permit holder carrying a concealed weapon. I believe in South Carolina they allow businesses to post signs restricting guns. Concealed weapons permit holders are not allowed to drink here if carrying.
    I would have no problem if I did not see a number of no gun signs. The only people who will obey such a sign are those already obeying the law. I never see an armed security guard stopping someone from entering with a gun. One thing that might stop someone from breaking the law is that the police might be exempt and others might decide to break the no gun law since no one checks for it.
  • SuperDude
    10 years ago
    Booze, pot and guns in public places. What do we think is going to happen?
  • SlickSpic
    10 years ago
    But I got Georgia On My Mind.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    I've carried legally since Florida became a carry state. I had asked a number of law enforcement officers if I could carry in a bar. The law is sort of vague about it. The provision was based on a "bar" and a "food establishment" with a bar. Some said if you didn't sit AT the bar, no problem, and others and different opinions. I wrote to the State licensing level and the first response was to contact the AG. When I wrote him, I never got a reply. I didn't expect much, as he was a flaming liberal like Holder, would likely make his own rules. I don't much worry about it after all these years.

BTW, Florida's carry law allows weapons, so not limited to guns. I found this out during checking the reciprocating agreements Florida had with other states.
  • Prim0
    10 years ago
    Superdude said: Booze, pot and guns in public places. What do we think is going to happen?

Probably nothing.

Then again, look at where mass shootings have happened...in most cases, a gun free zone.

No Carry laws aren't going to stop criminals from doing what the hell they want. Only the law abiding folks stop to notice No Gun signs and follow the rules. I don't think they're the ones to worry about.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    Every state has different laws on carry permits. Bars, churches, or weather or not you have to notify LE if pulled over that you have a gun on you is different in your state. Some states reciprocate carry permits. Some states allow you to carry with a permit from another state. When doing so some states expect you to go by their rules and some states apply the rules from the state your permit is issued
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    People carrying legally in public should be of no concern. The ones that are a problem are those carrying illegally.
  • Clubber
    10 years ago
    I have only had my gun in my hand one time in many years of carry. Some jerk in a truck was messing around when my daughter was driving. Sort of a road rage thing and late at night in an isolated area. My wife and son were along as well, Both my son and I had our weapons out. Had the fellow got out of the truck and made an obvious move to inflict harm on was, I would not have had a chance to talk to him later.

Tuned out once he drove off and I saw the truck and where he turned off the road, I knew who it was. I knew the guy, where he worked (truck was a work truck),and where he lived ( he turned down the street). My daughter and I saw him a few days later at our local watering hole. Of course this is how I knew him. I asked him to come outside with my daughter and I, which he did. When confronted with the obvious he denied it. When I described exactly what and where it happened, he knew his goose was cooked and he apologized. That was accepted. Then I told him how close he had come to getting himself killed. I thought he was going to faint.

Anyway, I've seen him a few times since and he tends to stay away from me. I like that. Also, pretty much everyone I know is aware I carry. I believe that makes the good guys feel a better safer and the bad guys, well they don't fuck with me or my friends. Off soap box.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion